TomTom Adventurer - swimming and heart rate — TomTom Community

TomTom Adventurer - swimming and heart rate

Jason FJason F Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
I know the heart rate monitor (HRM) doesn't work in the swimming mode, because it is unreliable in water. However, for open water swimming, I put it in the freestyle mode and it it records heart rate very accurately. Sadly, the gps is a little hit and miss, but works most of the time.

My point is that it is so annoying not being able to use the HRM in indoor pools (where there is no gps, so freestyle mode does not work).

Second question. How can I get strokes per length? I cannot find it in the app or on the watch.

I like the watch, but feel quite disappointed that i cannot use these basic functions. It cost a lot of money and if I had my time again, i probably would have chosen another product.

Thanks.

Comments

• enscjbenscjb Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    A agree, if I spoof the watch by telling it I am in the gym it works just fine recording HR in the pool. Please consider enabling HRM in the pool. It would be good to enable GPS in OW swimming too, we can handle the intermittent nature of the signal!
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,568
    Superusers
    You may be able to handle the intermittent nature of the GPS signal and HR may work well for you in the water but there is a minimum threshold of usability required to activate it and neither of these functions meet it. For many people HR and GP do not function well enough in water and it would be a support nightmare to have them enabled as there is an expectation that of a function is enabled it will work 100% of the time. You can add all the disclaimers you want but people will still complain. This is why Garmin and Polar also do not have these functions on most of their devices, the technology simply does not support an acceptable level of accuracy currently. I do not see them adding it any time soon and TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • enscjbenscjb Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks, yes I understand this. still, it would be great if there were a beta or 'expert' mode, like the insider ring on MS products. customisation is the future of consumer goods after all...
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,568
    Superusers
    Customization is actually what TomTom is specifically trying to avoid. They are going after the casual athlete who wants a simple to use device with minimal customization and complications. If you are looking for this you should look elsewhere:

https://www.wareable.com/tomtom/tomtom-boss-meet-the-boss-2397