My TomTom Rider 450 freezes and doesn't respond — TomTom Community

My TomTom Rider 450 freezes and doesn't respond

mrdedmrded Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I got a new TomTom Rider 450, and found it incredibly glitchy.
Please look at the video I've attached.

Sometimes while riding the device freezes and doesn't respond. Hard restart sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't.

If the sat nav has internet access - all interface get really slow. You can feel how it's trying to process something, probably road condition, traffic etc.

Basically in London I never allow it to access internet, because in that case I cannot use the device at all.

I had a chance to use old TomTom riders and other sat navs, I didn't have such problems with them.

It doesn't look normal to me. I asked my friends, and they believe that I may have a faulty device.

Can you please advise?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,993
    Superusers
    Hi
    What do you mean by a Hard reset ???

Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

ATB YFM
  • mrdedmrded Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    YamFazMan wrote:
    What do you mean by a Hard reset ???

Sorry, by 'hard reset' I mean holding power button till it turns off.
    It's the same that you call 'Drum roll restart'.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi mrded,

Welcome to the Community!

Since you're only experiencing this when you have your phone connected, I'd recommend you to do the following:
    • Factory reset your device by choosing Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places, My Routes and destination prediction data and trip statistics. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.
    • Remove the pairing from your phone and restart it
    • Double check whether you can reproduce this behaviour without the phone connected
    • Re-pair your phone again and test

Cheers, Mikko
    I did it before, it didn't help. I've updated application to 17.202 version, and reset the device one more time.

I'll come back after some riding. I hope the problem will be solved.
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 275 [Supreme Navigator]
    Hi guys,

I too have the same or similar issues, haven't been very scientific with the trouble shooting BUT I have to drum roll restart the 450 during or after each or every second ride. Never had similar issues with the 400, on the other hand that was on an older firmware/software so who knows ... ;-)

Have a nice day,
    Anders
    Hi Anders,

Is your issue also related to phone connection? If yes, I'd recommend to go through the steps I posted above. Factory reset is anyhow an effective measure in these kinds of cases.

Should that not help you sort this out I’d recommend you to set your device to recovery mode [support FAQ - Red X]. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive. The following video walks you through the recovery mode process:
    [video]

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi Mikko and all others.

Performed the reset as described in the Youtube clip and everything looked more or less as described. The MyDrive Connect went from 0 to 100% very fast(!) like in one step, after restart I didn't loose any settings or nothing, is that correct? Did it twice to just make sure I did everything as described ... ;-)

Edit: Please also note that during the entire process the GPS gave an indication that the connection between the PC and the GPS failed, the picture showed in the GPS had an exclamation mark in the PC window and there was a "X" over the connection ...

So, is this good or is there a real problem?

Have a nice day.

Anders
    Hi Anders,

The recover process usually takes a bit longer. According to our logs you have now the v17.200 software on your device. Are ou still experiencing the freezing issues?

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Anders,

The recover process usually takes a bit longer. According to our logs you have now the v17.200 software on your device. Are ou still experiencing the freezing issues?

Cheers, Mikko

Hi Mikko,

I actually have 17.202..... which I had even before my reset attempt. Haven't had the time to evaluate though but suspect that something does not work properly for me in the reset process.

Is there anything I could try to properly reset the GPS, as I said the GPS itself indicate a communication issue?

Have a nice day.

Anders
    Hi Anders,

Sorry, I was misreading the logs.

For computer connection problems I'd recommend you to go through the relevant sections of this FAQ.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Anders,
    For computer connection problems I'd recommend you to go through the relevant sections of this FAQ.

Hi again,

Well I know but I really have no other communication issues with the TTR over USB, the updates are handled just fine with MyDrive Connect, I have no issues when exporting routes to the device so I don't really buy the theory of a problem between GPS and the computer unless there another driver needed when in recovery mode. But if it was such an issue the MyDrive Connect shouldn't start saying "Restore your device...." I guess. So it really looks like something else ... but who knows?

Can a call to Tomtom support help, you think?

Have a nice day.

Anders
    Hi Anders,

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. You meant the screen shown at 1:40 in the above video, right? The X there means that you shouldn't disconnect your device from the computer while the recovery process is taking place.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK, you mean the attached pic?

Ok, then I understand ...

Strange that it doesn't seem to reset my device then ...

Kindly,
    Anders
    Quick update about my TomTom Rider 450. The device has been booked in for a repair.
    Somehow video I've attached to the initial topic disappeared. Please find it here:

mrded wrote:
    Quick update about my TomTom Rider 450. The device has been booked in for a repair.

Hi, hope they fix it for you and also sorry for hijacking your thread ... ;-)

Have a nice day.

Anders
  • RebuiltV3RebuiltV3 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    mrded wrote: »
    Somehow video I've attached to the initial topic disappeared. Please find it here:

Mine has done same thing but only when i press the my routes option to see list of routes in satnav ... looks like i ll have to get it repaired to ... never will i buy another one :~(

• th3g3rmb0yth3g3rmb0y Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    RebuiltV3 wrote: »
    mrded wrote: »

Mine has done same thing but only when i press the my routes option to see list of routes in satnav ... looks like i ll have to get it repaired to ... never will i buy another one :~(

I had this exact same issue. What should I do now?
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 591 [Revered Pioneer]
    You can try a Factory Reset.
    uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16743/~/how-do-i-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-device%3F

Or Recovery mode.

Do not forget to upload all your data to MyDrive first.

Than try it first without Bluetooth connections and orientation lock on.

If this doesn't work contact TomTom customer service for a repair
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,993
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi

While I see and feel the frustration in user mrded's video above...
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1189962/#Comment_1189962
    But he didn't improve the situation by repetitively tapping the screen, everyone of those dozens of screen taps has to be processed by the device
    Much better to let the device recover to the point where the device is displaying the Map of present location and the 4Dot (.... Menu) is active
    Before you start tapping the screen

ATB YFM