Runner - have to keep resetting watch — TomTom Community

Runner - have to keep resetting watch

matth1jmatth1j Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hi

I've had my Runner watch for nearly 2 years now after coming from a Garmin Forerunner 305, and I've been very happy with it.

However, starting a month or 2 ago, after uploading an activity to my PC and removing the USB cable, the watch has displayed the computer symbol and won't respond to button presses. On reconnecting it I've had to go through the watch reset procedure (which fortunately is fairly painless).

This seems to be happening more often; is my watch on the way out?

Cheers
John

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,169 Superusers
    I would try a factory reset and see if that helps, it may be that the firmware has developed a glitch. Other than that, you are out of warranty so there is not much else that can be done I imagine. You can give Customer Support a call and they might have some insight or a solution, though.

To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • matth1jmatth1j Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thanks. But isn't the watch doing a factory reset when I go through the 'we can fix this' procedure as directed by TomTom Connect on my laptop? I certainly have to register/sign in towards the end.

Actually, I might have found a way to avoid this happening - Bluetooth! For some reason I either hadn't spotted that this was available when I got the watch, or decided not to use it. But having just noticed that it's there, I'll try using Bluetooth instead of USB to upload activities (assuming I can?). It's disconnecting from the laptop that usually seems to cause the problem.
  • matth1jmatth1j Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
    ...and yes, I've paired my watch/phone and they've synced. Excellent :)