Maps in Bournemouth & Poole

MatthewwhittenhamMatthewwhittenham Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
edited January 11 in Map quality
Several map errors in Bournemouth, Poole and surrounding areas. Mainly due to assuming incorrect priority - either saying "turn left/right" when the road actually follows round in the direction to travel, or the opposite, where it assumes the road follows on when in fact a left/right turn is necessary. Several end-of-road junctions also say to "bear left/right" rather than turn, which is confusing, as generally bear left/right is only used for turning off of a road on to another, where the turn is only very slight. Also directs in to part-time pedestrian zone on Bournemouth seafront, and speed limits are not loaded for several roads in between Bournemouth & Poole. Review of the whole area is necessary.

Comments

• MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,806 Superusers
    You could make individual reports using the Map Share Reporter tool, or you can make a general report using that tool (using the 'Other' category). That's the best way to let the mapping people at TomTom know.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 429 [Supreme Navigator]
    Several map errors in Bournemouth, Poole and surrounding areas. Mainly due to assuming incorrect priority - either saying "turn left/right" when the road actually follows round in the direction to travel, or the opposite, where it assumes the road follows on when in fact a left/right turn is necessary. Several end-of-road junctions also say to "bear left/right" rather than turn, which is confusing, as generally bear left/right is only used for turning off of a road on to another, where the turn is only very slight. Also directs in to part-time pedestrian zone on Bournemouth seafront, and speed limits are not loaded for several roads in between Bournemouth & Poole. Review of the whole area is necessary.
    It's just the same in Worcestershire, so you're not alone (probably a nationwide problem) and I agree totally with your comments about being confusing. It's just one of many irritations that sat nav users have to put up with I'm afraid and quite disappointing considering the cost of these things and how long they have been around.
    BrianE
  • MatthewwhittenhamMatthewwhittenham Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    BrianE wrote:
    It's just the same in Worcestershire, so you're not alone (probably a nationwide problem) and I agree totally with your comments about being confusing. It's just one of many irritations that sat nav users have to put up with I'm afraid and quite disappointing considering the cost of these things and how long they have been around.

Having said that, there are several areas in which I use this sat nav where this problem does not occur at all. Like you say, these devices cost a lot of money so it is not something we should have to just put up with. It is understandable that road layouts will change from time to time, and that busier areas will take higher priority over quieter areas when it comes to updating them. But when there are several issues in the same area then for the safety of TomTom customers, it is important that it is addressed.
  • Tony_StoneTony_Stone Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    This is a world wide problem, at least for English speakers. The navigator does not know the difference between continue straight ahead, turn right, bear right, keep right, stay in this lane, go to the right lane. It is my opinion that the directions were translated through French because the French use the same word for "straight ahead" and "right".
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Tony_Stone wrote:
    This is a world wide problem, at least for English speakers. The navigator does not know the difference between continue straight ahead, turn right, bear right, keep right, stay in this lane, go to the right lane. It is my opinion that the directions were translated through French because the French use the same word for "straight ahead" and "right".
    It's actually the other way around. Our company language is English and pretty much everything is first done in English and then translated to other languages.

Anyhow, if you come across situations where you find the instructions confusing, please report them to Customer Service. Provide them a route from A to B and the exact location where the confusing instructions occur. Mentioning the voice you were using is also important.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Tony_StoneTony_Stone Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    This has happened to me from Pennsylvania to Florida. It would have occurred elsewhere, however, I have not gone elsewhere with it. I did not keep track of all of the places that I have had the problem. I have no idea which voice it is using. I chose one and promptly forgot which. I do not know how to find out who it is.