Is the built in SIM operating on the 2G or the 3G network in Australia. - Page 5 — TomTom Community

Is the built in SIM operating on the 2G or the 3G network in Australia.

Comments

• TabbTabb Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    This issue has not just creeped up on TomTom unexpected, as seen by the many historical post, customers have been asking about the company's plans to mitigate the impending shutdown of 2G for customers with sim devices for ages, yet they continued oblivious and unconcerned, even released a top of the range devices in the 51/61xx without bluetooth which would have given them a future option for tethering.

How inept can the management be to not have a contingency plan in place ready for the start of the impending shutdown but have to rely on Vodafone extension of the service... its just pathetic.

I have owned every top of the range device except the 52/6200 range, which I determined I wouldn't buy because they would confirm if it had a 3G sim, as time goes on the brand loyalty I've shown to Tomtom is wearing very thin.
  • bazbrianbazbrian Posts: 33 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    highwalker wrote:

Thanks, this is very helpful. I hope TomTom is working on this to ensure that the devices will be transferred to the 3G network. The inbuilt modem is 3G capable, so it would be more so on the Vodafone side to enable the services once the agreements are amended/updated.

Would appreciate any update from TomTom now.

Hi highwalker - I've just been re-reading this thread and was just wondering where you might have got the info about the inbuilt modem being 3G capable? I've done a little bit of reading with no luck.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,627
    Superuser
    @bazbrian The communications board in the device is 3G capable but probably not the modem. There's more about that in this thread:
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-wi-fi-6200-5200-620-520-52-professional-via-53-482/is-it-true-6200-sim-won-t-work-in-australia-1-oct-2017-1014235/index1.html#post1130598
  • JunkJimJunkJim Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,

I'm about to head to Australia in a weeks time from the UK, and was going to buy the 6200 with the Sim Card included, just wondering if it still actually works with the sim card right now? I'll be there roughly a month until mid Oct, just wondering if things will still be running fine with the Sim card? Would be great to know if anyone does!
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,007
    Superusers
    A device bought in the UK would receive traffic and speed camera alert via the SIM only within Europe...unless you are super lucky and for some reason it would work yet in AU.
  • JunkJimJunkJim Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Zsolt wrote:
    A device bought in the UK would receive traffic and speed camera alert via the SIM only within Europe...unless you are super lucky and for some reason it would work yet in AU.
    Ah I see, so the traffic data and whatever else the sim card does, has no real benefit for me then while in Aus?
    JunkJim wrote:
    Zsolt wrote:
    Ah I see, so the traffic data and whatever else the sim card does, has no real benefit for me then while in Aus?

I have a 6100 bought in Australia and Traffic works a treat. I took it to the USA last year and Traffic didn't work. A mate took his to Ireland and the same - no Traffic. Apparently for the 5100/6100/5200/6200 world GPS models Traffic only works in the Region of Purchase.
    Superuser
    bazbrian wrote:
    Apparently for the 5100/6100/5200/6200 world GPS models Traffic only works in the Region of Purchase.
    This is true with ALL current TomTom models, even those connecting only via Bluetooth.
  • Phil6100Phil6100 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am also in New Zealand, I had a GO 2050, currently a GO 6100, and just yesterday purchased a GO 6200 because the processor chip in the 6100 is so slow. Now I find that Vodafone NZ is also shutting down 2G network...great! And this TomTom representative does not give full answers. I want to know CAN the GO6200 work on other networks like 3G or not? If yes then will it work on our 3G network? Honestly I should have spent the $375NZD upgrading my Samsung Note 4 to something better and downloaded software like WAZE or something....

When I called TT support yesterday, the gentleman from India assured me that the TT 6100/6200 in fact is not like a computer and in fact does not have a CPU....really....yup! He went on to say that it has a touch screen and special software and thats how it works....ummm...wow!

My impression is that TT do some stuff really well, but writing efficient coding and customer support are not thier strong points, even this website is too busy being "flashy" and ends up being incredibly "laggy".

On the devices, under options, there should be:
    1. an option to turn off animations (get rid of the gimmicks).
    2. an option to turn of reconfirmations that you want to drive where you are going (you have to confirm several times).

Anyhow I would like a refund....I specifically got the 6200 because it is supposed to be faster, I got the 2050,6100 and now 6200 because of the inbuilt SIM and traffic information. Any old mapping software can show you how to get to a destination. It's these "features" which are soon to be unusable which is why I believe in a seperate GPS device....however if the functionality is going, then so shall the device.....
    Superuser
    @Phil6100 Where did you buy one? According to Mikko's post linked below retailers should no longer be selling them. Or was that only in Australia?

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-wi-fi-6200-5200-620-520-52-professional-via-53-482/is-the-built-in-sim-operating-on-the-2g-or-the-3g-network-in-australia-1019482?postid=1158484
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

New Zealand is not affected by this change at this point. We'll keep an eye on regional developments and inform our customers when something happens.

As mentioned here before, we're working on measures to ensure that the affected customers can continue to use the services they're relying on. More detailed information about this will become available in due time.

Cheers, Mikko
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 666
    Superuser
    Phil6100 wrote:
    just yesterday purchased a GO 6200
    I'd strongly suggest you return it back to the shop and exchange it for a Go 620 and some cash in your pocket.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,834
    Superuser
    @Mikkok

Is the projected solution relying on the user having a smartphone with them at all times?
  • highwalkerhighwalker Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    bazbrian wrote:
    highwalker wrote:

Thanks, this is very helpful. I hope TomTom is working on this to ensure that the devices will be transferred to the 3G network. The inbuilt modem is 3G capable, so it would be more so on the Vodafone side to enable the services once the agreements are amended/updated.

Would appreciate any update from TomTom now.

Hi highwalker - I've just been re-reading this thread and was just wondering where you might have got the info about the inbuilt modem being 3G capable? I've done a little bit of reading with no luck.

Hi bazbrian, I happened to take a look at the innards of a screen damaged device of a friend as a part of fixing it for him. I do a bit of embedded development, and recognized the Telit module built inside (GL865 DUAL V3). I am attaching the picture I took of it just in case ;).
    Thanks highwalker.

I've been reading this PDF http://www.telit.com/fileadmin/user_upload/products/Downloads/2G/CL865/Telit_GL865-DUAL_QUAD_V3_Product_Description_r6.pdf and get lost in the technical stuff. I can't tell if it can upgraded to 3G or not.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,007
    Superusers
    Don't forget, one thing if it can support 3G by hardware and another the contractual service agreement between TT and Vodafone...
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 666
    Superuser
    bazbrian wrote:
    I've been reading this PDF http://www.telit.com/fileadmin/user_upload/products/Downloads/2G/CL865/Telit_GL865-DUAL_QUAD_V3_Product_Description_r6.pdf and get lost in the technical stuff. I can't tell if it can upgraded to 3G or not.
    I suspect not....
    The GL865-DUAL/QUAD V3 is the new generation module in GL865 family. It is based on the latest Intel 2G chipset
    bazbrian wrote:
    Thanks highwalker.

Hi bazbrian,

The product datasheet you shared doesn't support 3G without an additional module. Now, I may need to check the module to see if it has the 3G support, but it does seem it may not. This would mean we are pretty much terribly stuck. The reasons would be simple, the costs of mass production may have seemed cheaper to not add the 3G support, even though it may have seemed the long-term use of the product would be limited. This seems pretty controlled short vision either by product marketing teams or poor business teams looking at short-ended goals.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

A colleague of mine has earlier explained why we use 2G networks here.

Cheers, Mikko
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,834
    Superuser
    @MikkoK

Only problem with that link is it is Europe-centric, is 10 months old, and does not relate to the Antipodes in any way.
    Also please answer "Is the projected solution relying on the user having a smartphone with them at all times?"
  • fredaroony2fredaroony2 Posts: 111 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Niall wrote:
    @MikkoK

Only problem with that link is it is Europe-centric, is 10 months old, and does not relate to the Antipodes in any way.
    Also please answer "Is the projected solution relying on the user having a smartphone with them at all times?"

Bizarre how they won't provide a real and honest answer to their customers.
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

A colleague of mine has earlier explained why we use 2G networks here.
    Cheers, Mikko
    HI MikkoK, this information is perhaps relevant to to Europe. Are you saying this logic was used in Australia as well? That doesn't make sense from the aspect that the demographics and everything is different here. So if we are stuck with the what we are, then how are we going to get past the March 2018 deadline? The device is pretty much useless without cellular access since it doesn't have Bluetooth support, it can't be alleviated to be used as a mobile supported device like your other set of product line either. This is pretty much a raw deal dealt with us Aussies here!
  • MitteMitte Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    As it has been several months since I opened this thread, and no appropriate response has been announced, I'm afraid my patience is wearing thin. I have now sent a request to the ACCC
    https://www.accc.gov.au/
    to ask for a definition of " Lifetime " under Australian consumer law and " Lifetime live traffic at no extra charge " slogan used in the advertising of this product in Australia. If I am required to use WiFi or Bluetooth via my smartphone, this will result in extra data charges that I consider unreasonable due to the advertising claims made by TomTom during the promotion of this product. I have also requested advice on the legal status and directions I may pursue . If TomTom wish to communicate with me, the moderators will be able to see my email address in the part of this forum only they can access. My unit was bought directly from the TomTom Australia website. https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,000
    Superusers
    Hi
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,
    As I've mentioned a couple of times here already we have a few options we can eventually offer our customers to make sure they can continue to use the services they rely on and have paid for even after the change in the network availability. Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to discuss these options here. As mentioned, we will contact the affected customers as the change becomes imminent. Until then you can continue to use your devices normally :D
    Cheers, Mikko
    Mitte wrote:
    As it has been several months since I opened this thread, and no appropriate response has been announced [Snip]
    Mikko's post reads like an appropriate and valid reply to me ???

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Mitte, since everything is still working you do not yet have any damages to show. Once the devices stop working and we hear the details of whatever fixes TomTom provides then perhaps the issue should be revisited.