Notification about an update-MyDrive app — TomTom Community

Notification about an update-MyDrive app

Peter CPeter C Posts: 21 [Apprentice Traveler]
As the iphone and smartphone (Android) is becoming the most essential item in life and driving, I'd like to see a settings switch which would allow us to see when an Update for our TomTom becomes available.

In the MENU section of the My Drive app, I'd like to see a flag for when an update becomes available for us, so we can connect our TomTom to the PC.

I do receive the email alert , but also an alert on the phone app...warning us to connect our GPS.

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,320
    Superusers
    You could call support with the suggestion, Peter. They'll log the request, or should ...... Who knows? Maybe in a future application??

Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST
  • basixbasix Posts: 486
    Superuser
    imagine all apps showing notifications, how would that be useful? why not get an update by e-mail, do you really require push notifications for updates?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,606 Moderator
    Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum:)

The MyDrive app for the smartphone is basically for sending destinations, routes, checking traffic etc. TomTom devices are updated through the MyDrive Connect desktop application.

Usually when there is a new update for the device, MyDrive connect application on the computer will pop up with a notification.

Hope this information will be helpful.

Regards
    Vikram
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 21 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Vikram,

As a first time user to this forum tonight , Yep it's a fantastic forum giving real time solutions to problems.

The only other bug bear is the real time traffic updates, I have my android phone bluetooth tethering to the tomtom Go system, I read the traffic updates every 2 minutes to tomtom system , sometimes in traffic it takes a while for traffic congestion to appear/ register.

Many thanks to the other forum members who responded to my enquiry......much appreciated.

It's a great site.!!

Cheers

Peter
    Many Thanks for the comments regarding the TomTom Go 600 series....as to further updates...etc
  • bigbig Posts: 1,627
    Superuser
    Actually, since you have a GO 520 WiFi, it checks for updates any time connects to your WiFi network. A pop-up message appears on the device if there are items to update.
    yes, I do connect to the Wifi for any available updates.....also can the updates be downloaded via the PC as I have tried BUT not working....so I return to the Wifi again, which is very convenient. I was of the impression that for a large update ie....new Map available a hard wire / more secure connection would be better than via the Wifi etc...... But yes, this Forum is the "Perfect place " to discuss such queries , And I must say most Helpful too...!!!
  • bigbig Posts: 1,627
    Superuser
    Yes, you can use your PC's internet connection instead.

You need to:
    1) Connect your TomTom to your PC via its USB lead
    2) Start TomTom MyDrive Connect on your PC

The updates still need to be done from your device but the device will use your computer's connection instead of WiFi.

(Some people have reported MyDrive Connect should be running AND that it must also be minimized but that hasn't been my experience.)
    Hi big, Yes...I can see where I've been going wrong too (via Computer) ...opening my drive TomTom before connecting device, that's why I'm forever using the more convenient WiFi facility, and not connecting properly with the Desktop system. Again Much appreciated by your comments of assistance to me ..big.

Thanks

Peter

Sydney, Australia