Smartphone notification support on Spark 3 Cardio?

kevinli4877
kevinli4877 Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase the TomTom Spark 3 Cardio (or the Garmin Forerunner 35) and wanted to know whether it supports phone notifications e.g. SMS alerts, missed phone calls etc? Looking at the thread above it suggests that back in November 2016 this was a definite no however, I've read in other places that this is something TomTom is working on. Any update on this and when (or if even) do TomTom believe this feature will be available?

Thanks

Kevin

Comments

• kevinli4877
    Apprentice Traveler
    Great news!! I've just got off the phone this afternoon to a TomTom agent called Elisha who confirmed that phone notifications is coming out at the end of this month i.e. September 2017 and can be downloaded as a software update to the Spark 3 watch when it's available :-)......so looks like I'll be buying the TomTom rather than the Garmin now :-)
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,948
     Superuser
    It is part of the 1.6.26 update but be aware it only gives notifications for the native phone apps, so no FB Messenger, What's App or other notifications, just text and email and all you get is a single line of the beginning of the text with no way to respond. It is very rudimentary. Depending on what Garmin you are looking ta there really is no comparison, unfortunately.
  • cheekychimp
    cheekychimp Registered Users Posts: 209
     Superuser
    tfarabaugh there is no email notifications - only native phone text (sms) and native phone call notifications.

kevinli4877 note that in the 1.6.26 update you cannot scroll through your native text (sms) to see the rest of your message - only what can fit on the screen is what is visible so your entire message may not be visible. Also during the brief moment of syncing between the watch and the app; any incoming phone notification (native text and native call) does not appear on the watch. So as tfarabaugh mentions - it is rudimentary (simple implementation) in 1.6.26.
  • kevinli4877
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi tfarabaugh, cheekychimp

Thanks so much for the update. The alternative watch is the Garmin Forerunner 35. I suppose you don't know how the phone notifications compare on this watch to what you've described for the Spark 3 Cardio?

Thanks again for your guidance.
  • cheekychimp
     Superuser
    Sorry I don't have a Garmin Forerunner 35...
  • Mini Mansell
    Mini Mansell Registered Users Posts: 25
    Outstanding Explorer
    would that 1.6.26 be a beta firmware that you agreed when accepting the trial to not mention of discuss in a public forum lol?
  • cheekychimp
     Superuser
    Mini Mansell for your information 1.6.26 has been released already to 5% of the user base - there are many posts describing this. It is currently being monitored for stability issues before considering any further rollouts - there are many posts describing this. Once a firmware version has been released (even 5%) - there is nothing wrong for any forum user to comment on what is already released.
  • Mini Mansell
    Mini Mansell Registered Users Posts: 25
    Outstanding Explorer
    For my information how do you know this?
    Are you a TomTom employee?
    Where is this 5% referenced in any official post.
    To my knowledge 1.6.26 is still the latest available version on the beta program.
    Do you know different?
  • icemac
    icemac Registered Users Posts: 199
    Legendary Explorer
    @Mini Mansell

information from user MikkoK
  • krøyer
    krøyer Registered Users Posts: 12
    Apprentice Traveler
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    It is part of the 1.6.26 update but be aware it only gives notifications for the native phone apps, so no FB Messenger, What's App or other notifications, just text and email and all you get is a single line of the beginning of the text with no way to respond. It is very rudimentary. Depending on what Garmin you are looking ta there really is no comparison, unfortunately.

I get notifications from phonecall but I dont get sms notifications
    from my Iphone 6 on the spark 3 cardio watch
    how do I manage get it ?