Original iOS app - End of life in September - Page 7 — TomTom Community

Original iOS app - End of life in September

Comments

• Jack BurgJack Burg Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I used go today in real life but in a well known area. I know also the routing done by the old app.
    The Go routing is simply a disaster. All proposed routes are long over narrow roads. They are not fast and not short.
  • sgc1sgc1 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    So finally go around to trying the new app and words fail me, how can TomTom go from producing something so good to something so bad! Suffice to say it has now been removed and I will stick with the original. For those that use the Traffic which will no longer be available on the old app, take a look at Inrix, its free, and while a bit more hassle to program your route into 2 apps, works in background and will give updates on some traffic conditions. Not as good as the TomTom service but better than nothing
  • JanV_dkJanV_dk Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    It will surely be the end of TomToms as a provider of iphone app navigation.
    Graphics and menus are very simple too simple. There is a lack of settings.
    Worst of all to me is that I cannot actually use it in my car since I cannot get any speak instructions / sound.

In my Skoda Octavia 2016 I use a Bluetooth connection to the phone.
    This means I cannot get speak instructions or sound on the TomTom go app unless I switch over to not listen to radio or play music via blue tooth.
    Always listens to radio and no sound will come on here.

In the old app at the bottom of the screen you could push and choose audio output, here I just chose iphone speaker and it was working brilliant

It's really a big shame.
    Have used TomTom since it was only available for PDA and had many different models. In recent years I have used their app from my iphone and it has also worked really well.
    Bugging it in two different cars as well as on my motorcycle.
    But maybe it's time to get Garmin or something else
  • madskilz182madskilz182 Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    We have a saying here in the states, "They don't make 'em like they used to!"
  • Jack BurgJack Burg Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I have been a longtime user of TomTom Europe and North America. I was disappointed when I learned about the termination of support soon. I was shocked due to the limited functionality when I tried to migrate to GO.

I am happy since yesterday. I loaded WAZE on my iPhone :-)
    My best wishes to the TomTom team for the future.
  • AD2012AD2012 Posts: 63 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Another one bites the dust.........
  • madskilz182madskilz182 Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    If they know there is a lag in app during navigation why is it taking months and months to fix the issue?
    Because they're useless?
  • DavoDavoDavoDavo Posts: 30 [Master Traveler]
    Oh, this IS friggin great, isn't it?!
    I have TT on my iPhone 7 and yesterday decided to subscribe for a year after getting tired of the prompts to do that.
    I have a TT GO500 which works well but I need my iPhone version now and again.

Now I find that TT GO is not going to be supported after September!?
    Does that mean only the iPhone app or the TTGO500 as well? It had damn well not mean the GO500 as I have lifetime maps of the whole world on that.

What a come-on.
    How do I get a refund for my iPhone purchase?
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Revered Navigator]
    DavoDavo wrote:
    Now I find that TT GO is not going to be supported after September?
    Who is talking about GO in this topic?
  • DavoDavoDavoDavo Posts: 30 [Master Traveler]
    EthoZ wrote:
    Who is talking about GO in this topic?
    Well, either I'm going batty or my iPhone is telling me porkies, but when I look at my installed apps...
    Oh gosh! There it is... TomTom GO!
    It used to be just plain TomTom when I had an Android phone but when I bought iPhone7 TT had changed to TTGO, so that's what I had to install.
    My apologies if I'm in the wrong forum.
    Irrespective, the cessation of support is for the TT iPhone app, whatever it's called.
  • thewiccamanthewiccaman Posts: 30 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Some of you may have seen my earlier posts about TomTom's suicidal decision to 'retire' the real TomTom App on iOS (replacing it with the laughable 'GO' version).

I tried out free versions of alternatives and settled on Sygic for iPhone which so far is holding up well. It doesn't have all the features of the real TomTom - a traffic bar at the side for example - but does provide traffic information, waypoints, POIs, etc. It is often on sale as well - I paid under £20 for it and that was for the Europe Lifetime with realtime traffic & cameras - see screenshot.

To be frank, I am more than happy with Sygic even with it not having exactly the features of the real TomTom app. As TomTom have clearly got no desire to support long time users - and their results seem to reflect this.

Some of you may have seen my earlier posts about TomTom's suicidal decision to 'retire' the real TomTom App on iOS (replacing it with the laughable 'GO' version).

I tried out free versions of alternatives and settled on Sygic for iPhone which so far is holding up well.Some of you may have seen my earlier posts about TomTom's suicidal decision to 'retire' the real TomTom App on iOS (replacing it with the laughable 'GO' version).

It doesn't have all the features of the real TomTom - a traffic bar at the side for example - but does provide traffic information, waypoints, POIs, etc. It is often on sale as well - I paid under £20 for it and that was for the Europe Lifetime with realtime traffic & cameras - see screenshot.

To be frank, I am more than happy with Sygic even with it not having exactly the features of the real TomTom app. As TomTom have clearly got no desire to support long time users - and their results seem to reflect this.

Great post proving that there are software companies willing to provide products that their customers want.

I have been a TomTom customer since Palmtop days, before it was called TomTom.
    it's upsetting and frustrating to see the demise of a once great company, who for many years were innovative and reacted to customer demand.
    They now force inferior products on their customers and stifle free speech!
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170915074845/https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-go-mobile-and-navigation-for-iphone-ipad-29/original-ios-app-end-of-life-in-september-1020761/index7.html/

This thread has been archived on Archive.org where you will be able to see what TomTom don't want you to see!
    I notice the content and screenshots have already been removed from here !
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170915074845/https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-go-mobile-and-navigation-for-iphone-ipad-29/original-ios-app-end-of-life-in-september-1020761/index7.html/

This thread has been archived on Archive.org where you will be able to see what TomTom don't want you to see!
    AD2012 wrote:

Yes, it appears some heavy-handed moderation is going on here! TomTom cannot handle any adverse criticism. It appears their business model is failing as well given their dire financials.

Oh well, I will leave the forum now as I no longer use the TomTom App & have no intention of using any TomTom product in the future. Goodbye ...
    Yep

All the relevant posts have been removed, perhaps TomTom would care to advise why they feel the need to censor and prevent free speech?
    AD2012 wrote:
    Yep

All the relevant posts have been removed, perhaps TomTom would care to advise why they feel the need to censor and prevent free speech?

For now the link to the archived page is still there. Make a note of that link before that post disappears too ;)
    They won't be able to remove it from there, they don't control it!
    I have posted a link to it on http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=633468#633468 where free speech and discussion is allowed.

Any chance you could post the info there and people reading this can get the information they require from there, free from censorship?
    https://careers.sygic.com/

Might be useful to some of the people viewing this thread.
  • Navigator25Navigator25 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No idea why the old app is being discontinued. iPhone 8 has the same screen resolution as an iPhone 7 and iPhone 6 which means the old app will work on iPhone 8. Maybe not on iPhone X but definitely will work on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

So you have a phone that is being released in September 2017 that an app will work in and you decide to discontinue it?

Ridiculous.
  • RiberoRibero Posts: 42 [Apprentice Traveler]
    AD2012 wrote:

Very dangerous link !
    If the trainee in charge of the developpement of Go Mobile iOS read this he may apply to a job and tomtom customers may have to deal with no more go mobile updates ! Lol ! :cool:
    Ribero wrote:
    AD2012 wrote:

Very dangerous link !
    If the trainee in charge of the developpement of Go Mobile iOS read this he may apply to a job and tomtom customers may have to deal with no more go mobile updates ! Lol ! :cool:

You make the assumption that they could read!
  • Gert SternerGert Sterner Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    As a lot of you in this thread, I am very disappointed by TomTom's decision to close down the iPhone (iOS) App's. As other states, TomTom promised to update the app's for life! So, now I know that that term means something else to TomTom than to me.

I also think the new App is bad, so now I have to look for a new way of GPS navigation. Being true to TomTom since GPS navigation was possible, I am sad to say good bye, but they have shown that I cannot trust them, even though I have paid them, so now I won't. Like so many other companies, they think the new customer is the most important. But I think they are wrong. It is the old customers, that has trust in them, that are the ambassadors for the new customers.

Since they don't want me to have trust in them, I now take my business somewhere else.

"Take care now, bye bye then!"
  • TheyCallMeDoogieTheyCallMeDoogie Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    OK my iPhone (Australia - I've also got Western Europe and America versions) iOS app has finally stopped allowing me to (pay) for live traffic subscriptions. I rang them and they've said the app is now unsupported.

They confirmed their original offer of 1 year's "free" access to TomTom Go still stands so I'll finally delete / install Go and give it a go which I avoided for the last year (or two?) due to the bad reviews. Unlike seemingly everyone else I'm not so concerned about them wanting to move to a subscription model, it's the way the entire software industry is going - I just want to have access to the best most functional product. Trying to sell a less functional product though is mystifying, especially when they have so many competitors. I'm guessing they haven't exactly joined the "Agile" "Customer Obsessed" age of software development with their development teams.

So the moment of truth has arrived, will it be good enough after over a year of bug fix opportunities? Has anyone tried TomTom Go (iOS) in the last month?

Otherwise I'm guessing I'll move onto Google maps or maybe Wayze (the only other app I've used in the last few ears hsa been occassional google maps use which I always found acceptable but not as good as TomTom iOS).

I'm amazed they didn't want to keep creaming the live traffic subscriptions from the old app.