First use of my new TT Rider 410

erroserros Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 4 in RIDER
Finally managed to wire my TT 410 to my BMW R1200 GS LC. Took the bike for a spin yesterday,true to form,it chucked it down with rain.The TT is well placed on the GS,just behind the screen but a few spots of rain and I mean spots,found their way onto the TT's screen resulting in the screen reverting back to it's start menu and from then on all sorts of things started to randomly appear on the screen.I had to stop the bike on the hard shoulder of the M5,not good,where I was able to dry the thing off with a tissue.All was well again so off I went for about a mile or so that is and the same thing started to happen again,ridiculous!
Issue number 2. The spoken sound through my Sena 20S,headset,via my Samsung S7 Edge,was distorted for most of the time and the volume so low as to make it almost inaudible except when the bike was at rest.I have a Garmin 390 on my other bike so when I got home,just to prove the point,I synced the 20S headset to the Garmin and as expected,I had full volume and crystal clear sound.
Here is my honest comparison between the Garmin and the TomTom (Personal Opinion Only)
(1) The mapping and the ease of creating routes,for example,is far superior on the TT and the maps have a lot more info on them too.
(2) Build quality, well I have to say,the Garmin is leagues ahead of the TomTom in every aspect,i.e. it's totally waterproof and the screen is unaffected by rain,a bonus for us bikers. Before I am asked, Yes I have done all the updates,and done a reset but the TT remains unfit for purpose,disappointing!

Comments

• tugmantugman Posts: 333 [Revered Navigator]
    Looks more and more like I will be reverting to the R2 as a backup when I go on holiday. Or buy a garman
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi erros,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with your new Rider 410!

I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service as it seems that you've got a bad unit in your hands. They can help you get this sorted :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
    why not just get a second mount for the 390 for the other bike ??
    the angle of the tomtom can make a difference in the rain. flat vs more vertical. i have seen it a time or two in heavy rain at a stop. usually no issue.

bluetooth, well, nothing new there. long time issue from the sounds of it. https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/rider-400-hoarse-voice-headset-987745/index7.html
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 360 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    So sad. I really hoped that TomTom would make the Rider 400 "Great Again". But, it really hasn't been that great in the first place when it comes to outdoor use and communication-wise.
    It could have been so good but TomTom just plain gave up updating the GPS.
  • erroserros Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    MikkoK, Thanks for the advice however,research on the net has shown that replacement units sent out by TomTom,prove to be exactly the same.
    I am in the process of trying a fix for the rain on the screen problem.I have purchased 2 sun glare hoods from ebay,I have cut the back off one of them and glued it as an extension to the first one,crude I know but it looks better than it sounds,I now have a hood with a depth of 73mm.This I hope,should keep water of the screen.I will update when I try it in the rain.
    As regards to the awful sound quality and volume,I am a little out of my depth here but luckily I have a friend,who works in the industry,who may be able to help,lets hope so.
    Joel S.
    You maybe missed the point here.I purchased the 410,mainly because the mapping and ease of making up your routes,is much better than the Garmin so putting a Garmin mount on the GS does not really fix the TomTom issues does it.
    If I mounted the 410 on my Honda Blackbird,in a vertical position,it would be impossible to see but I do understand what you are saying.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi erros,

Unfortunately, I've also seen such cases. However, I'd still recommend to report this to Customer Service as that's the best way to help our Quality team monitoring this to assess the situation.

Cheers, Mikko
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
    erros wrote:
    Joel S.
    You maybe missed the point here.I purchased the 410,mainly because the mapping and ease of making up your routes,is much better than the Garmin so putting a Garmin mount on the GS does not really fix the TomTom issues does it.....................
    www.myrouteapp.com this does
    good luck on a fix for the sound and rain.
    also, if you make a route, and want to add a lunch or gas stop, you will get no notice of the stops along the way. and if you have several routes on the gps, there is no search, folders, sorting.
  • SA-manSA-man Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have some problems with rain too. This week we were out for the European bike week and wend back in the rain now and again.
    The first problem was the hitting of the raindrops on the screen what made the device act crazy and changing to the menu and back and so on.
    The second issue was water inside of the screen like condens which made it impassible to read part of the routeplanning side.
    what can i do about it to prevend it from hapening and how can i get rid of the water inside and prevend it?
    Do anyone have the same problem?
  • Paul.R.F.Paul.R.F. Posts: 99 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The second issue was water inside of the screen like condens which made it impassible to read part of the routeplanning side.
    what can i do about it to prevend it from hapening and how can i get rid of the water inside and prevend it?
    Do anyone have the same problem?

I have had 2 units now with the condensation problem and unfortunately it is a well known problem with the unit. It even happened to a unit that was used in a test against other brand units. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-reviews/parts-accessories/2017/april/ride-5000-miles-motorcycle-sat-nav/