start 60 connected device not recognised

start 60 device is not recognised as connected by tomtom, when I am logged in to my account. I have uninstalled it and re installed it, I have reset the start 60 device too. has not corrected the problem. I cannot update any products until I can resolve this. I am not computer savvy, I do not know what to do to fix this.

Comments

• dazzygdazzyg Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    hi, thank you for your reply, very grateful to you, I have clicked on these links, sadly though for me, I wouldn't have a clue where to start in following the steps given. yes I know, a computer is no use to me, I should just throw it in the bin or give it away. frustrating that TOM TOM does not give any contact phone support at all, even more of an insult when I have just purchased another product from them and I wont be able to use it. once again, thanks for your reply.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,153 Superusers
    But they do provide support numbers for users. Did you call them?
    do they? ok, I have searched and searched, and clearly not searched enough, as I have come up with nothing, do you know what the number is is?
  • rhysburrissrhysburriss Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I have same prob so would be pleased to know if your silence since 4 months ago means you found a solution.
    Btw, from what you say although i do not claim computer expertise I seem to have more of it than you ( have been using since 1993 ) and I WAS able to follow all the instructions in the previous message. In fact I have followed them several times but got nowhere.

For several years since buying the device I have had zero problems with updating the maps from time to time. It is just this year since I upgraded the laptop to WIN 10.

I also got nowhere emailing the tomtom support staff, who basically don't seem to apply their minds to the content of the message you send them.
    hello, if my info can help, then here it is, I will start by saying I had the same problem as you when contacting tom tom, no matter what I asked, I either received an answer that was no where near a solution, or just info on how to DIY the problem. sadly nothing worked. this could be extremely long winded story, but simply, i sent many many messages where the receiver at tom tom just does not share the info with the next person, or the replier does not read the previous trail of messages. I wasted hours and hours of time with tooing and froing of replies, I did eventually send it back to tom tom after they eventually agreed it will be repaired under warranty (2 year warranty and unit only 15 months old). BUT then once they received it, they robotically tell me they will not fix it unless I pay! and even though they did eventually repair it FOC, the hours of free time wasted searching for a remedy was just not worth it. sadly they have only rectified part of the problem. but it is just not worth the hassle of starting a conversation with them again. this is just my opinion, but its disgusting service from a multi national company that is clearly to big to be bothered. I may as well have done one extra shift at work and gone out and bought a new sat nav, a garmin or other device that is not tom tom. it would have been so much easier. hope this helps. I would be interested to know how you get on, or what you decide to do.
    Thanks for prompt reply.
    Terrible after sales service from TomTom ~wish i knew how to get it more publicity.
    I had exactly the same thing about one of their advisors not having read the previous corres and so on.
    Eventually I gave up trying to get sense out of them.
    My machine is out of warranty ~but my point is I don't think the start 60 itself is broken.
    There is something wrong with the compatibility between the tomtom software and WIN 10.
    (I had ZERO probs till U 'upgraded' to WIN 10.)
    ( there are LOTS of ppl posting online about it ~ the solutions posted would require a degree in computer science to be able to follow ).
    I could afford a new satnav ~and in fact now I am used to the tomtom I wd prefer to stick with it, as a satnav which WORKS is a big safety enhancer in my view ~ but am reluctant to do so as I suspect I will just have the same problem with the interaction between the machine and the software you have to download from TomTom to make it work.
    yes one point I forgot to answer from your previous note, I am windows 10, but the device worked fine on this for updates for the first year, I tried other computers of older software, and still the same though, did not work. so is it windows, or the device. even though tom tom repaired it, and even though i asked, they never gave full details of what was wrong with it, only that they attempted to charge me for a repair that they told me was a fault not covered. thankfully I had already received this in writing from them that they would repair it, and I had to quote it back as they claimed they could not recall it. also, suspicious of me maybe, but they continually offered to sell me a new device at every opportunity, as if to say why bother with a repair, just buy this new one instead, a sales ploy?? the fact that it was under warranty (and still is!) and yet they made it so difficult, is enough to make me steer clear of tom tom in the future. because of the poor aftersales, and even though it is not fully repaired, I have decided that if this device breaks down again, it wont be worth contacting them again. I would just buy something different. frustrating really, because I agree with you in that I am used to the tom tom now. but, if I got used to tom tom, I'm sure I can get used to something else too.
    Well we don't know whether Garmin or whatever would be any better.
    I bought the Start 60 because of a positive recommendation in WHICH magazine plus the fact that it has a larger screen than most is a big plus.
    of course, I agree again, bigger screen etc... I would have no idea if service from another unit provider would be better or worse than tom tom, its just that based on this experience I cant imagine it being any worse that tom tom. ok m8, thanks for the info, good luck in your search for the solution, let me know what you end up doing.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,504 Superusers
    Hi
    Tomtom Support
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

"Official" TT tips:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-800-1000-2000-series-via-series-start-20-and-60-series-mydrive-19/faq-mydrive-connect-troubleshooting-tips-990570

If these didn't help, then try some of these:

*Always make sure that you are logged in with the correct account. One device, one account*

*** for Windows 10 users ***

If you have just updated recently, you might run into trouble with TT (and other devices too). Disconnect the device, uninstall the MyDrive Connect support app with Revo Uninstaller, restart the PC, download the latest MyDrive Connect installer from http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted and install it again. Also in Windows 10, click on the "Start" menu (Windows icon in lower left corner), click on Settings and then Updates. Look for further updates, download and install those. Restart the PC, wait a minute or two, until everything starts up. Connect the device. If it is not recognised yet, keep it connected and then press and hold the ON button, until you hear the drum roll. Then wait another minute. If you have no luck yet, visit the web site of the manufacturer of the PC and look for newer (Windows 10 compatible) USB or chipset drivers for your computer and install it.

*** TT CS official reply that worked for many with W10 issue ***

Close MyDrive Connect completely:
    If your navigation device is connected to the computer, disconnect it.
    Click the MyDrive Connect icon ( or ) in the Windows notification area or Apple menu bar and then select > Quit
    Uninstall MyDrive:
    Click on the Start button and go to All Programs › TomTom › Uninstall TomTom MyDrive
    Alternatively you can use Add or Remove Programs in the Contol Panel to remove TomTom MyDrive Connect.
    Remove the application file:
    Press the Windows logo key +R to open the Windows Run dialog
    Type %localappdata%. Click OK.
    You will see list of folder. Find and open TomTom folder
    Delete HOME 3 folder.
    Delete the MyDrive Connect folder from: C:\Program Files (x86) (if still present)
    Delete the TomTom folder from: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\ (USERNAME - It is the user name which you use to login to Windows )
    Delete the TomTom folder from: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\
    Delete every file and folder from: C:\Windows\Temp\ (in case some files can't be removed, reboot the PC and retry)
    Restart your computer.

Re download a new installer from http://www.tomtom.com/mydrive (I recommend you to use the Google Chrome while downloading the installer)

Now install MyDrive Connect with the newly downloaded installer.

After the installation process of the new MyDrive application completes successfully, please restart your computer. Now, check if the application is able to connect to your device properly or not.

*** For further troubleshooting tips, please see below ***

PLEASE NOTE:

- It is very unlikely that one would have to do these all, it is usually one of the below mentioned possibilities

- As in IT Crowd: Have you tried to turn the computer off and on again? :)

- Try to add MyDrive Connect to the exclusion list of your antivirus and firewall (or disable those temporarily)
    - Make sure that your computer is not going into stand-by or similar (this shouldn't happen with the latest MyDrive Connect)
    - Clear the cache before each update attempt. Also could do a soft reset before and after the update
    (http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965/)
    - Make sure you have all the latest updates and hotfixes/patches to your OS (not only the mandatory ones, but the optionals too)
    - In case the device looks like hung during the update or the counter stopped (or not visible at all), just leave it.
    Most probably it will be fine in a few minutes (or within a couple of hours, in case of installing large maps)
    - Check your network connections, make sure that the TT's network adapter is enabled
    - Try to uninstall and re-install the MyDrive Connect application (best to use Revo Uninstaller to remove)
    - Try to use a USB port on the mainboard, rather than a USB hub (desktop PC)
    - Try to change the port to 5000 (or 5001) in MyDrive Connect's settings
    - Try to run the MyDrive Connect app as administrator
    - Sometimes disabling caching large files helps too
    - It is worth checking the USB power saver settings

- Any further issue: Try it on another PC, try it with different USB lead...the shorter the better (below steps are Windows specific)
    - Whilst the device connected, remove the drivers from the Device Manager (Windows/Control Panel), DELETE the drivers
    - Remove the MyDrive Connect application and run CCLEANER (will remove your history, cookies, etc by default)

- At the moment certain USB3 port looks like incompatible with the TT devices (those are usually coloured blue on the PC).
    Could try BIOS update on the PC or enable "Legacy mode" for the USB ports in the BIOS (for further instructions, look for the user manual of your PC/mainboard)
    - Don't use the magnetic mount whilst updating, connect the micro USB directly into the device
    - Disable any network monitoring software
    - Update one item at a time, don't select all.
    Best order: NavCore/software - Map - QuickGPSfix - Speed Cams - Map Share Corrections (this is the smallest but longest in some cases)

Certain Mac versions (10.10.2, 10.10.3 10.10.4 and 10.10.5) have USB issues, but there is an official fix available, provided by Apple.
    The latest version of MyDrive connect is not compatible with Windows XP SP2 and below, make sure that you update to SP3 and install ALL the other updates.

IMPORTANT CHANGE FOR XP AND VISTA: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20314

And some more here:

Sometimes malwares might block the connection to a TT device (or any other network device). It is highly advised to run a few of these checks sometimes. In case of a large storage and many files (and huge amount of data) and on a non-SSD system, it might take a few hours easily.

Download:
    - rkill.com (bleepingcomputer)
    - tdsskiller (by Kaspersky)
    - ESET online scanner (by ESET)
    - Malwarebytes Antimalware (by Malwarebytes, the FREE version is enough, PRO not required)
    - Super Antispyware (the FREE EDITION is enough)
    - CCLEANER (the FREE version is OK, disable monitoring within if don't want background check)

Run (install all the above, but the rkill, as it doesn't require installation):
    - In normal mode, run the TDSSKILLER and accept the terms and let it update.
    - In normal mode, run Malwarebytes and update.
    - In normal mode, run Antispyware and update.
    - In normal mode, run CCLEANER and update.
    - In normal mode, run CCLEANER. Clean all the rubbish, plus the registry too.

Restart the PC in "safe mode" (different Windows version have different ways to do - from XP to W7, press F8 at startup, in W8-W10, need to do some manual labour to achieve, GiYF ), then keep this order:
    - Run RKILL.COM, wait to finish.
    - Run TDSSKILLER, wait to finish.
    - Run CCLEANER, wait to finish. Again, the rubbish and the registry too.
    - Run Malwarebytes Antimalware, wait to finish. When done, go to history and delete the whole quarantine.
    - Run Super Antispyware, wait to finish. Use the high boost scan. Whatever it pops-up at the very beginning as rubbish extension in browsers or such, delete all.
    - Run ESET online scanner, wait to finish. Search for all possibilities it offers (possible threats and so).
    - Run CCLEANER, wait to finish. Again, the rubbish and the registry too.

Restart the PC and it should be all dandy again.
    I am sorry ~ doubtless you intend to be helpful but do you really think someone without an advanced degree in computer science could make head or tale of all the above ?

It should be for TOMTOM and WINDOWS to put their extremely profitable heads together and come up with a complete fix which customers who have paid good money in good faith could download in one go and which would of itself clear up the problem - which between them has been made by one or other or both of Microsoft and TomTom.
    hello, and thanks for this, no offence but when I scrolled down and saw how vast the list of instructions were, I did not read any of it. I had sent it back to tom tom and eventually they sorted it. thanks though.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    The reason why the device is not connecting usually is down to some 3rd party issues (software). There are millions or billions of possible combinations (HW and SW), doubt ever it will work for all (with all the other 3rd party stuff running). None of the above instructions require any advanced level of IT knowledge. Even the worst one can be worked out easily by a simple Google search.