Hands-free Phone Function on Go 520 — TomTom Community

Hands-free Phone Function on Go 520

Focus DriverFocus Driver Posts: 28 [Outstanding Explorer]
Here's an interesting one:

Link to phone via Bluetooth, and there is a phone handset button on the screen near bottom left. Click the button when in planned route following mode, and a panel appears offering the option to dictate a contact name (never works, too noisy in the car), or bring up the contact list on screen. OK so far.

Try to do the same when there is no route planned, and it doesn't work (no panel appears) - unless the button has already been used in route following mode since the last boot up.

It would be interesting to see if other users can replicate this observation.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Focus Driver,

Thanks for reporting this!

Having a route planned is not a prerequisite for activating phone (see the user manual at http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/html/en-gb/index.htm#TalkingtoSiriorGoogleNow™-Prato_1.htm) so there's something not right here. I'd first recommend you to reset your device and try again.
    [video]

Cheers, Mikko
  • Focus DriverFocus Driver Posts: 28 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I have a video showing the problem, starting from the drum roll (proving I have reset the 520) and then going through the steps of trying to access hands-free functions before, during, and after entering and exiting route-following mode. However, after a number of attempts trying to upload it from iPad as an edited MOV (approx 60MB) - which was successful uploading but then failed some kind of validation key exchange - I have now converted to MP4 and transferred it to my PC, which refuses to upload it at all.

I guess there is a limit on file sizes which this forum will accommodate as images or attachments, so I have to host the video file elsewhere. I cannot find any instructions about this (a serious omission, if true). Bearing in mind I don't particularly want to create an account on YouTube or wherever, how do I do this? Neither do I want the video to "expire" - I have seen forum posts where the referred content is no longer available, and it ruins the value of the content. (I can appreciate forum admins wouldn't want to host video files of unlimited size, but I would have thought hosting a modest-sized video was in their interests.)

Can I share from iCloud? Dropbox used to work, it was possible to make a video play "in place", but they have pulled the plug on that one.
    Hi Focus Driver,

You can only share videos here uploaded to e.g. YouTube or Vimeo. However, it'd be more helpful to send it directly to Customer Service where our technicians could take a look at it.

Cheers, Mikko
    I think it would be useful to do both - other users may be having the same trouble but not realise it's a problem. It may take a day or two.

It is curious that nobody (so far) has come forward to say so, but I suppose the post has only had a brief exposure. I don't see how this could be confined to me though - the function works fine while in route-following mode, which surely indicates the interface with the phone itself is OK :?
    Here's a video of the problem. Note that it starts from TomTom power-off with the drum roll (reset), and links to the phone. While with a route unplanned, the phone button does not respond at all, but as soon as I enter a destination the phone button presses seem to catch up. While in route mode the button works fine. With the route then deleted, the button then still works - but with difficulty.

The firmware is up-to-date.

[video]
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,697 Superuser
    ... Note that it starts from TomTom power-off with the drum roll (reset), and links to the phone. While with a route unplanned, the phone button does not respond at all, but as soon as I enter a destination the phone button presses seem to catch up. While in route mode the button works fine. With the route then deleted, the button then still works - but with difficulty.

I get nearly the same scenario on my GO5200, except that after selecting a route the phone button always works and if the phone button has been pressed any number of times before selecting a route then the first action after displaying the route is for the phone button action to be processed without even touching it
    Niall wrote:
    I get nearly the same scenario on my GO5200, except that after selecting a route the phone button always works and if the phone button has been pressed any number of times before selecting a route then the first action after displaying the route is for the phone button action to be processed without even touching it
    I think this is exactly the same as your description - you say the phone button is actioned without even touching it, I described that as "catching up".

Do you not get the intermittent functionality after ending the route, as per my video?
    @Focus Driver

I get the "Voice control" bar with it's associated bongs each time the phone button is pressed and it last for about 8 seconds. But, and it is a big BUT, only after I have planned a route after a soft reset.
    I am using application version 17.200.0011.411 (25/06/2017), with all the options in Settings > Voice control switched on
    I have voice control switched off.
    @Focus Driver

What happens when you have voice control switched on?
    I guessed you would ask that - I'll have to let you know. Conversely, what happens in your case if you switch yours off?
    No difference, even tried using a non-computer voice. Though at one stage I did get a route description in both English and French simultaneously, so something must be a bit flaky!
    Hi all,

Thanks for your efforts digging into this!

I'll report this to our technicians.

Cheers, Mikko
    Niall wrote:
    What happens when you have voice control switched on?
    No difference here either, although I noticed the "flakey" response I noted outside route-following also happens inside route following - I might have just got lucky before.
    Hi Focus Driver,
    No difference here either, although I noticed the "flakey" response I noted outside route-following also happens inside route following - I might have just got lucky before.
    Do you mean that you can reproduce the no route planned scenario from your video above now also with route planned?

Thanks, Mikko
    What I mean is the flakiness of the function as seen at the end of the video (after setting a route and then clearing it) is also seen in route following mode, so its relative stability in route following mode as seen in the video may have been a fluke (which corresponds with my initial impressions before I investigated further for the forum).
    Hi Focus Driver,

Thanks for the info!

This sounds like a performance issue. I've logged this to be reported to our technicians.

I'd recommend you to factory reset your device by choosing Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places, My Routes and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Cheers, Mikko
    I've had a reply from tech support requesting I do a complete software reload. I'll let you know...
    @MikkoK

There is a bug that needs to be reported to development team in that after a 'reset' the 'phone button' is only active after a route has been planned
    Hi Niall,

Is the issue reproducible for you? I understood from Focus Driver's comment that for him it's not always reproducible in the way it's shown in his video. I would take that to imply a performance issue rather than an issue specific to this feature.

Unfortunately, we've seen various kinds of performance related issues lately. I've logged this for now as once symptom. The team is investigating these and working hard to improve thing in the future releases.

Cheers, Mikko
    You have misinterpreted. The phone button does not work at all until a route has been set (after a power-up). The route can then be unset, and the phone button continues to work.

"Working" is unreliable however, with the phone panel popping up and down in moments - sometimes more, sometimes less.

These problems are both apparent in the video, except that the video shows the operation to be more reliable in route-following mode (which is not necessarily the case).

NB: I find it amazing how easy it is to misunderstand forum posts, even when pictures are attached! I have never found a solution - make it too brief and there is not enough detail, make it too long and people don't read and comprehend it all. In this case, subsequent posts were given more weight that the original post - but I was plain what I meant in the first post.
    @MikkoK
    As I commented of Focus Driver's video earlier
    Niall wrote:
    @Focus Driver

I get the "Voice control" bar with it's associated bongs each time the phone button is pressed and it last for about 8 seconds. But, and it is a big BUT, only after I have planned a route after a soft reset.
    I am using application version 17.200.0011.411 (25/06/2017), with all the options in Settings > Voice control switched on
    Hi Focus Driver,

Thanks for the elaboration! Getting to the bottom of technical stuff here on the forum indeed isn't always easy.

I'll pass this on to our technicians to look into.

Cheers, Mikko
    I have a new observation:

If the unit starts up in route-following mode (it was turned off with a route already prepared), there is no phone function until the route is cleared. This is the inverse of the previous observation, and suggests it is the change of mode from no route to route or route to no route that triggers the phone function into life, rather than exiting route mode.

I have yet to try the requested operation of re-loading the software (life is busy).

It bothers me that there do not seem to be any/many other users contributing to this thread to confirm the observations (only maybe one - but he's not been explicit about it). Does this mean it works properly for other people, or that other people can't be bothered to report it?

Please, somebody, give it a try (see my video) and report back.
    Hi Focus Driver,

Thanks for the info!

I talked to one of our technicians about this and he suspected this to be performance related. Can you try wait a few minutes after making a change to see if the phone feature starts working?

Thanks, Mikko