Buy New Map, what happens with the previos maps? — TomTom Community

Buy New Map, what happens with the previos maps?

ochi92ochi92 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited November 2018 in Map purchasing
Hi, I am going to the UK for two weeks, and I want to take my GPS (TOMTOM) with me, when I want to download and buy the map from the UK the device show an announcement that it must erase the previous US maps. For me it won’t be a problem if, after I came back, I can download the US map without paying anything. PS: I have never download the map from the US, I only buy the device and the map came with the map downloaded. Does anyone know how this works?
Thanks.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,174 Superusers
  • mpescatorimpescatori Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Hello, I have a similar problem.
    I have an XXL 540 which came crammed with "EU45".
    Sometime later I bought the "New updated map EU45" and discovered, much to my dismay, that it will NOT fir all in the device's 4MB (4GB?) RAM.
    So everytime I travel I must swap "Italy+France+UK" with "Italy+France+Germany" with "Northern Europe"...and so on...
    (Incidentally, I also lose all my favorites in the process which is a real pain)
    Would it be possible to revert back to my older OEM Map of EU45?
    I'm honestly tired of having to swap maps each and every time, it's a very slow and time consuming process.
    (PS Just how fast - slow - is a TOMTOM XXL's USB connection? $ hrs to swap maps is a looong time)

Thank you
    Maurizio Pescatori,
    Rome, Italy
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,174 Superusers
    Other than buying a newer model that has the full Europe map on it, I'm afraid you'll be stuck using the 540 and switching maps.

BUT, if you use Window's File Manager to look into the active map folder on the device (for example, "Italy+France+UK") and copy the file mapsettings.cfg to the computer and then switch to a different map on the device AND copy the mapsettings.cfg to THAT map folder, you should retain your favourites.