TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Trying to make sense of summary

highstreamhighstream Posts: 26 [Apprentice Traveler]
Using Spark in running mode on a ~6 mile hike (one way), 5000' gain, which took 5 hrs with stops (paused), about 4:08 on the watch and thus as total time in the summary. What puzzles me, and why I post, is to ask why the summary's active time only shows about 2:23. What's the latter refer to? Thanks,

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,612 Superusers
    The server does a pause detection routine, which goes through the GPS data and factors out any time you go below a pace threshold to come with an active time versus a total time. The problem is that with trail running and hiking with a lot of elevation gain, there is no lateral distance for a lot of the time (it is vertical distance), so it detects you as below the threshold. They are adding a way to turn this off (either by activity type or specific activity), which will allow you to turn this off so you just see one time. There is not timeline for when this will happen and TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • highstreamhighstream Posts: 26 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks. Unlike most of my hikes and hike/jogs, this hike included an off trail section of 900' gain/loss in 0.4 miles (the rest of the hike was more gradual). I guess that's what you're speaking to, although the total of the two surely didn't come anywhere near 1:45. I had a hike/jog a couple of weeks ago that also included an extended steep section up and down, this time on trail, 550' in 0.5 miles, and the total and active timed at the end were less than a minute and a half apart. So it seems very selective in this.
    It also may be factoring in times when it lost GPS signal as pauses, since from its perspective you didn't move. It does not seem to be an exact science.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    One thing I haven't mentioned is the mileage has been accurate. Is that independent of the GPS-related active time measurement?
    Pause detection is just looking at how long you stop for, it would not impact distance as you covered the same distance regardless of hoe long it took you.
    Latest update: "We've just improved how we display average speed and pace. By ignoring time stood still, auto pause helps focus on actual effort."

Is this the fix?