TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

TomTom Spark3 Cardio GPS Fitness Watch, swimming

AWBAWB Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
Hi!

As I've moved into triathlon I wanted a watch that allows me to measure all the different activities and I bought a TomTom Spark3 Cardio GPS Fitness Watch. When I read the manual I found out, very disappointed, that the swimming mode only works in pools!?!? Is that correct, and if that's the case, does anybody have any suggestions how I can measure open water swimming with that watch?

Best regards, Anders

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,612 Superusers
    The watch does not support open water swimming using GPS, it is for pools only. Supporting open water swimming is much more complicated than pool swimming (which involves counting strokes and figuring out the stroke length). GPS cannot be detected underwater so it would need to time the GPS signal attainment with the split second the watch is above water on each stroke (assuming you are doing a stroke that brings your arms out of the water). This is a very difficult thing to compensate for and it has been a mixed bag on all devices, none of them do it perfectly well and many have not even tried, like TT (and Garmin on some of their more recent devices). What most users who want open water swimming do is to use freestyle mode and put the watch in their cap or on a safety buoy behind them so it stays out of the water. You will then get distance but will lose swim specific metrics, however.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • verdonlverdonl Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My swims are not uploading to the TomTom sports app or the website, any thoughts on this?
    Thank you!!