TomTom Go Mobile for Android Auto — TomTom Community

TomTom Go Mobile for Android Auto

jordi983jordi983 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi,

Are there any news about compatibility with Androdi Auto? As you know currently there only two applications compatible with Android Auto (GMaps and Waze) but TomTom is way better than this two apps. It would be great if we could just use TomTom Go Mobile with Android Auto. So any plans? Roadmaps? Dates?

Regards

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Jordi,

Welcome to the forum!

We've forwarded these requests to the product team but unfortunately I don't have any news to share with you at this point. I announce all updates here on the forum so stay tuned :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • InfinitoInfinito Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Jordi,

Welcome to the forum!

We've forwarded these requests to the product team but unfortunately I don't have any news to share with you at this point. I announce all updates here on the forum so stay tuned :D

Does google even allow third-party navigation software in android auto? Is it even worth hoping for TomTom to be here?
  • jordi983jordi983 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I don't know if Google allows third-party navigation software because currently only GMaps and Waze are available, but if they allow it, it would be silly for TomTom not to integrate their app, simply because all new cars have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay installed. If they do not integrate their smartphone apps in these car systems the users will no longer use them.

And if you already have a big screen and a navigation system integrated in your car, why should you buy an external GPS navigator? Very few people will do it, just to be able to access something they already have in their car and in their smartphone, only diehard TomTom fans that don't even think of using any other product.
  • CcsnetCcsnet Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I do hope they do... I've used the product for a couple of years now but about to move to Android auto which means I will let my sub run out as the access to full screen apps if safer than a phone on the window... Not to mention the voice Intergration
  • MHIMHI Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    jordi983 wrote:
    Hi,

Are there any news about compatibility with Androdi Auto? As you know currently there only two applications compatible with Android Auto (GMaps and Waze) but TomTom is way better than this two apps. It would be great if we could just use TomTom Go Mobile with Android Auto. So any plans? Roadmaps? Dates?

Regards

While waiting for the arrival of my new car, I'm looking forward to this too!
    I've never used another navigator than TT, so I would be more than happy if I can continue using my TomTom Go Mobile (for Android) on the car's 8" screen through Android Auto.
  • digital3540digital3540 Posts: 55 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I have used go and eventually also the owner of a go5100. My new car have android auto. But I can only get goggle map to work. Not waze. Are you sure that android auto supports this it's not listed on avaliable apps. Anyway I would also love if tt go could integrate..
  • MHIMHI Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Jordi,

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Mikko
    Is there any sign already of TT Go Mobile to be enabled for use with Android Auto?
  • TirsTirs Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Jordi,

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Mikko

Hello, Mikko! It's been seven months since this reply. Any news about having our Go Mobile app compatible with Android Auto (and Apple Car Play, for the same)?

Thank you!
    Tirs
  • MadBobMadBob Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    I'm looking at letting my subscription lapse for the same reason, TomTom user for many years via sat nav hardware, iPhone and Android. But having a huge navigation screen in my new car and Android Auto is making the attraction of TomTom fade away. Update please.
  • ErlinggErlingg Posts: 1
    Bump.... .
  • TWUKTWUK Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In the same situation here. Much prefer the TomTom Go app over Gmaps, but it needs to integrate with Android Auto.to stay relevant. Any news, progress updates or policy decisions on this please?
  • GroundyGroundy Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I agree I'm now using waze instead of my Tom Tom if there isn't any news soon I shall uninstall the tom tom app as it would be completely redundant. So I would start to put some serious pressure on Google as virtually all new cars come fitted with Android Auto and the demise of Tom Tom will only get worse.
  • PottsyPottsy Posts: 104 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Same here.

Since Waze has appeared on Android Auto recently, I haven't used Tomtom at all. I found waze a bit naff on my phone, but on AA it's great.

Maybe the end of a long Tomtom journey, that started for me in around 2004:

1df58590-5597-4fcc-8758-edaf201b34bb.jpg
  • GeorgeMumfordGeorgeMumford Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Any news on this? Now that Waze work with Android Auto, it would be fantastic to have TomTom GO available aswell, as we all know it's a superior product, just lacking this major feature :( !
  • colinbullcolinbull Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Any news on this? I've just bought a car with Mirrorlink/ Android Auto neither will run TomTom Go. :(
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 234 [Exalted Navigator]
    @colinbull,

The only app I know that works with Mirrorlink is Sygic incar app.
    With Mirrorlink you do not install the app on the radio it only mirrors what is on your smartphone.
  • BeniaminBeniamin Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Aren't there any negotiations or complains from TomTom to Google about AndroidAuto?
    It's pretty sad to see see that nothing moves for ages now.
  • DCJunior06DCJunior06 Posts: 65 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    This is important. Waiting......
  • NYTBNYTB Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I actually gave up on Android Auto / Google Maps / Waze. (New car in April.)
    I had all sorts of problems with it: E.g. it said "You have reached your destination" while I was still on the highway; In the middle of a trip at a rest stop it needed WiFi connection to resume, which was not available. So I took out my trusty TomTom VIA 1505, and had no problems.
    The Android version looks like it has strong possibilities. So I am trying it out on my Samsung S8+.

Bye the waze, WAZE is a wholly owned subsidiary of GOOGLE, who owns distribution for Android (Open Source). So that seems to be why WAZE is supported.
  • BeniaminBeniamin Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    any updates on TomTom for AndroidAuto?
    I mounted my Samsung S8+ with am iOttie Easy One Touch 3 on the left side of my windshield and went on a considerable trip (about 2k miles). So I didn't have to deal with the Google Maps/WAZE products. More importantly with Android Auto the head unit is in the middle of my console and I would have to move my gaze too far from the rode. With my smartphone in the left corner of the windshield, it is just a quick move of the eye to see the display, and I was able to do that while dealing with traffic, lane changes, exits, etc. Also I was able to play my Stitcher podcasts over blue-tooth. I even got a phone call, which I let go to voice mail.

So this makes me think that having Android Auto support Tom Tom would not be such a good idea because of moving my gaze to the head unit. I like this a lot better. Now I wonder if I want to buy a new Tom Tom device, and if so, which one.
  • Mattia_82Mattia_82 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, any news on this topic? My tom tom subscription expire on December 2017, on my new car i still have to use Gmaps..
    I think that Tom Tom is the wrong place to complain. There is little that Tom Tom or Garman can do. Google/Waze can decide to do anything they want since they are the 800 pound gorillas.
    Google/Waze has no incentive to allow Tom Tom on. In fact they are probably pretty happy that they have maneuvered the market into using their (far inferior) products. The only way that they will have any reason to allow Tom Tom or Garman in their realm is if there is a large complaint to Google/Waze by the users.

The only thing that can force them is some sort of commerce law suit - which they will ignore. So what apps does the 800 pound gorilla allow in its space? - Its own apps, of course.
  • Mattia_82Mattia_82 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I understand that issue with Google Giant, but What about "mirror link" compatibility? It can give the users a good alternative, like sygic"car navigatori" does..