TomTom Spark -Equestrian Mode

K_BROWN
K_BROWN Registered Users Posts: 4
Neophyte Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Firstly I bought the TOMTOM SPARC watch as a bit of an experiment to help me with my equestrian activities. It's far exceeded my expectations in helping me with my sport. Both while competing, and also analysing the perfomance later.
I split the display to show SPEED, STOPWATCH and TIME, in the 'CYCLING' mode.
It would be nice to....
1) Have an EQUESTRIAN MODE. (nice to have)
2) Display speed in METERS PER MINUTE, rather than km/h or MPH (very important)
3) Be able to set the stopwatch to a time in minutes/seconds, and when started it counts down. (quite important)
4) The Buzzer/Vibration goes off when the counter reaches zero.

There must be a market for this device in my sport. I use it in the Cross Country phase of Eventing.
The analysis when I download the data, and look at the map of my ride, and the speed at different points around the course is invaluable.

The most important addition would be to display speed in meters per minute.
Any chance of this going out as an update?
The most important bit would be to display speed in Meters Per Minute, as this is the speed the sport works on
Second most important bit would be the time count down feature.
Feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Kind Regards

Keith Brown

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,948
     Superuser
    I highly doubt you will see what you are asking for. While it may be useful for you in your sport, it is such a small niche and so far outside of the target market that there would likely be no return for TT in the resources invested. I cannot think of another instance where meters per minute would be a useful metric so it would be of no use to the vast majority of users. And while there may be a market for it in your sport, TT is not likely to want to try and break into an entire new category, as the marketing costs alone may very well outweigh any new sales they would get.

It does not appear they are adding any more sports modes, that is what they added Freestyle and gym modes for. Freestyle is for any GPS enabled non-core activities and Gym for non-GPS enabled activities. If they start adding sports modes then you may want equestrian sports and I may want football and someone else may want paddle sports, this is why then went with the generic Freestyle. The existing sports also tie into the lifetime totals on MySports. If they add more sports modes they would also need to redesign all of MySports to capture them.

In any case, TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but it is important to help set expectations for what the product can or will offer. Please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • K_BROWN
    Neophyte Traveler
    I did expect a response similar to that you have outlined. Although I thought as there is already an option to display KPH/MPH, the addition of MPM would be an easy code change. I work with numerous software engineers (I am an electronics engineer) Is there anything open source that I could get modified and downloaded to the watch for my own use?
  • K_BROWN
    Neophyte Traveler
    To defend my sport Eventing against being labeled as 'niche'.
    It has been an Olympic sport, for a very long time. It's truly wordwide in it's appeal.
    Indeed the biggest spectator event in the UK is Badminton horse trials in terms of the people who go to watch.
    And you do support golf, which describing it as a sport does rankle a bit, and is usually taken up at retirement age.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    Be aware this is a user forum, so "I" do not support anything. There is little TT representation on the forums, aside from moderators and then it is for purely technical issues. While Equestrian sports are not niche in the world, they are certainly niche in the sports watch realm. I do not know many equestrians who wear sports watches and there is not a single brand that I know of that supports it. and it is certainly niche for TT, who only support running, cycling, swimming and skiing (and variations thereof). And the key to your comment is "spectator" sport. Spectators do not wear sports watches, participants do, so the number who watch a sport is not relevant, it is the number that participate and the applicability of the technology and the need for it in the sport that matters.

There is no source code you can access. Companies rarely release their proprietary source code. There is a developers kit that allows you to access data after the fact, but not change the programming on the watch itself.

i honestly don't care if the watch has equestrian, hang gliding or hopscotch, I am just sharing what I have seen after many years on the forum and the likelihood of what you are requesting coming to fruition (which in my personal opinion is slim to none). Again, TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • K_BROWN
    Neophyte Traveler
    Ah, my apologies, I thought it likely you were a TT employee. A TT employee directed me to this furum as a place where TT developers often trawled through, looking for idea's.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    No apology necessary. As I understand it, TT does go through the forums and puts together reports highlighting common requests and issues, which helps direct future efforts. However, there has to be a very large customer demand for it to make it to the top of the list for development (likely not the case for your request). But since they do not communicate what is on that list, it can be a bit frustrating. That is why I try to help manage other user's expectations, so they do not think that posting here will automatically get an idea implemented or get a response from TT regarding it. Other then moderating, TT is pretty hands off with the forums (and I think they sometimes foist people on to the forums to avoid answering questions at times). You can always tell an employee as it will say they are an employee right next to their name.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.