Logging steps, seems to be very sensitive, can I change that in the settings somewhere? — TomTom Community

Logging steps, seems to be very sensitive, can I change that in the settings somewhere?

JezzieJezzie Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Touch
Previous I have had a fitbit but now decided to try this watch from tomtom instead but Im not overly happy about it. One thing I have reacted about is that it seems to log steps without me walking (more then the fitbit did) is it something I can change in the settings etc?

I also liked the fact that I could log a workout, like 45 at the gym afterwards, I tend to forget to "start" the clock once at the gym and then often forgets to turn it off after =/ Is there a function like that in this one as well or is that not an option at all? I have tried to look for it but still havent found it.

Overall I must say I was way happier with the fitbit (the con with that one was that it was not waterproof at all).

Would love all feedback/help I can get otherwise I just have to spend even more money buying another watch =/

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,385
    Superusers
    There is no way to calibrate the step sensitivity. The activity tracker is detecting steps based on movement and incidental movement of your arm will be enough to trigger steps. It is not an exact science, it is meant to be directional guidance. For every extra step it picks up from brushing your teeth, or moving your arms while talking or driving, it is missing steps when you are walking pushing a cart or walking with your hands in your pockets. Again, it is meant to give you a directional view if you are active enough, not an exact count. I personally find it directionally accurate, in that during a day I am fairly active it is picking up more steps than on sedentary days. If it is off by a few hundred or a thousand steps I am not concerned, if I am several thousand short it means I need to get up and move around more. But everyone will have a different opinion.

There is no automatic workout detection, you need to start the activity and stop it yourself. If this or the sensitivity is a vital feature for you and you are within your return period you may want to look at other devices that offer this option now. I would not count on it coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future. Go into it with the assumption that what is in the box is all there is and it will never be updated, to save setting yourself up with false expectations.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.