Condensation Screen RIDER 400 - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Condensation Screen RIDER 400

Comments

• RTwoRTwo Posts: 53 [Master Traveler]
    RTwo wrote:
    My 10 month old 400 has started misting up when the sun is on the screen :(
    What's the turn around time to repair/replace it?
    Going off on a tour next month and don't want to be without it

I took it back to the retailer (Halfords in the UK) and they are replacing it with a new one tomorrow - great service :)
  • AndyB_CHAndyB_CH Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    After a few rides I also have condensation in my TT-Rider-400. I won't bother with trying to get this sorted out as I really did expect Tom-Tom to offer quality products. Looking at the way they messed up the device with a simple map update and then expecting us users to perform low-level Voodoo to get it to work again, they obviously perceive us to be a pain in their butts.
    I have multiple Tom-Tom products, they are all going wrong, so good bye Tom-Tom, hello competition.
  • SteevoHSteevoH Posts: 1
    Mine has started misting up today. Drooped Customer Services a message.
    It was a gift so not sure where it was purchased and don't have the receipt :-/
  • jelle1970jelle1970 Posts: 93 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If you condensed screen, it will be swapped for another device. It's a production failure. They are aware of the issue.
  • R3TR3T Posts: 20 [Master Traveler]
    It's such a same, this is my second TT400 after I swapped out the first due to dust participles that were under the screen, straight out of the package, this second one has been great, even the Australian map and hoarse voice problems didn't worry my me BUT now I've taken the TT400 out in cold weather, 8-10c, no rain either and now have the condensation issue to deal with, eighty percent of the screen obscured by condensation. I'll take it back to exchange, however, prior to the condensation issue I had the TT400 hard wired onto my motorcycle, so I imagine I'm about to have an interesting conversation with the retailer as last time they insisted with a return of the full TT400 system not just the device.....I'll see what happens
    Only the device is faulty. I sent twice the device directly to tomtom repair center. I called before the TomTom customer support.
  • BoarderBoarder Posts: 107 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I had it on mine. It was replaced by tomtom with no fuss. Replacement does the same. Seems like a standard fault. I only use it when going on longer trips so it gets used about four times a year. Had the replacement over a year so not sure that they'd replace it again although seems to be an inherent design/manufacturing fault. Anyone experienced a replacement after that timescale?
    Shame really as I like most of the rest of the features, would like it more if they also recognised the difference between waypoints and destinations.
    If the device screen is having condensed it will /should been replaced by tomtom. It has an ipx 7 certificate. It should be water resistant. It is an production failure. And they know it.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    I'm not an engineer but I guess IPX7 is not enough to avoid condensation. It looks like that more protection is needed to meet something like IPX1/IPX7.

I quote from Wikipedia:
    The ratings for water ingress are not cumulative beyond IPX6. A device which is compliant with IPX7, covering immersion in water, need not be compliant with IPX5 or IPX6, covering exposure to water jets. A device which meets both tests is indicated by listing both tests separated by a slash, e.g. IPX5/IPX7.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
    http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/
    Ipx 7 1
    1 meter deep water for half an hour.

If the repaired device comes back I will test it first if it is this time water resistant. I will not test anymore during a tour with rain. It spoiled a holiday for a week without an navigation.
    R3T wrote:
    It's such a same, this is my second TT400 after I swapped out the first due to dust participles that were under the screen, straight out of the package, this second one has been great, even the Australian map and hoarse voice problems didn't worry my me BUT now I've taken the TT400 out in cold weather, 8-10c, no rain either and now have the condensation issue to deal with, eighty percent of the screen obscured by condensation. I'll take it back to exchange, however, prior to the condensation issue I had the TT400 hard wired onto my motorcycle, so I imagine I'm about to have an interesting conversation with the retailer as last time they insisted with a return of the full TT400 system not just the device.....I'll see what happens

I took the TT400 back to where I purchased the unit, this is the second TT400, and exchanged it for a TT450 (plus an additional cost) now there is a backlog of 16 x TT450's on order with no indication when these will be available, fingers crossed that the issue with misting is resolved and that I can back to using the TT and also that the wiring is the same as the TT400.
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 269 [Exalted Navigator]
    R3T wrote:
    ... and also that the wiring is the same as the TT400.

Yepp, it is. i just swapped my TTR400 for the 450 ... Good luck with the new one whenever you get it.

Have a good one,
    Anders
    I also get a new tomtom 450. I had 3 defective tomtom 400 in a row. Hopefully I will receive it at Friday. A month without a navigation. Thanks to tomtom.
    Hi & thanks Anders for the electrical information, just went to check even TT are sending it the 450's....answer from them is no idea
    Hi jelle1970, hope it works out for you this time around
    Still no news when they will send the TomTom 450. May next week it will arrive. Beautiful weather and no navigation.
  • CrystalbarnCrystalbarn Posts: 60 [Legendary Explorer]
    My brand new Rider 450 is misting up and has done so from the very first use and on hot sunny days, its never been in rain, came direct from TomTom like this! These devices are extremely poor!!!
    Take contact with customer support. This is not normal.
  • CrystalbarnCrystalbarn Posts: 60 [Legendary Explorer]
    jelle1970 wrote:
    Take contact with customer support. This is not normal.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/condensation-on-rider-40-400-978838
  • advanced.ridersadvanced.riders Posts: 15 [Apprentice Seeker]
    My brand new Rider 450 is misting up and has done so from the very first use and on hot sunny days, its never been in rain, came direct from TomTom like this! These devices are extremely poor!!!

I bought a Rider 410 a year ago, it has now been replaced 4 or 5 times, I never wash my bike with the TomTom fitted but has failed with condensation issues. Usually when it's a warm day, or large difference in temp or pressure ( Stelvio Pass).
    Last time it was replaced with a 450 and guess what, yesterday was warm and the screen had condensation behind it.

I believe these units are manufactured in a high humidity environment and the change in temp causes the condensation. As mentioned mine has never been washed and the 450 has been on the bike perhaps 6 times...always dry.

Although the units are always replaced free, within 10-15 days it is extremely inconvenient and a very poor customer experience.

Having said this it does have the best screen and routing options (curvy roads) of any units I've owned included Garmin/BMW SatNavs

But why can't we play music while riding?!!
  • Ducati749Ducati749 Posts: 10 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi there,
    What was the outcome please?
  • Ducati749Ducati749 Posts: 10 [Novice Seeker]
    Boarder wrote:
    I had it on mine. It was replaced by tomtom with no fuss. Replacement does the same. Seems like a standard fault. I only use it when going on longer trips so it gets used about four times a year. Had the replacement over a year so not sure that they'd replace it again although seems to be an inherent design/manufacturing fault. Anyone experienced a replacement after that timescale?
    Shame really as I like most of the rest of the features, would like it more if they also recognised the difference between waypoints and destinations.

My warranty is just out by 2 months and the screen is now not responding - I saw condensation on it after a bike tour to Milan (from Scotland, via France), but took no heed as it cleared - but I am thinking it has led to the screen being non-responsive now.
    I have written to TomTom. I guess I will have to pay the repair fee of £105 (cheaper than buying a new one), but frankly, after reading all of this - there is a production issue and it shouldn't matter when it happens, they should be replaced and, (going out on a limb here) NOT by another one which has already had condensation and been replaced - that's just a very very poor strategic plan if I am right.

Will post again when I see how TT respond.
    According to Tomtom the warranty is reset every time the unit is replaced, so I've got one for life at this rate. I'm riding around Spain in a couple of weeks so we'll see what happens. No real urgency to return as the replacement will be exactly the same
    I wouldn't be paying £105, these units are supplied from Tomtom with a known issue, it's carried on from the 410 to the 450. As the units are faulty as manufactured tomtom cannot enforce a 1year warranty timescale.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    According to Tomtom the warranty is reset every time the unit is replaced, so I've got one for life at this rate. I'm riding around Spain in a couple of weeks so we'll see what happens. No real urgency to return as the replacement will be exactly the same
    Just to clarify this point: We give each repair/swap a 6 month warranty from the date you receive your device back from the repair centre.

We'll double check with Customer Service to make sure they've informed you correctly about this.

Cheers, Mikko