(Quick)GPS problem with my tomtom spark 3 cardio

RobOCR
RobOCR Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
When I want to go for a run it takes forever before my watch goes to " START".

When I look at the info display I notice that my " Quickgps" doesn't have the usual " V" but a PC downloading symbol.

Maybe these things are related, maybe not.
It all started just before the new My sports update.

Anyone who can help me with this problem?

Greetz Rob

Comments

• tt_gt
    tt_gt Registered Users Posts: 260 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Yes, without the quick GPS then it will take longer to get a gps fix (indicated by 'get going'). It should install quick quick GPS every 6 hours if the phone and the watch are within range of each other and the app is running.

To force it manually from the mobile app, press the down or left button to wake up your watch, then the app should connect to it and install quick fix. Do you see the app syncing when you do this?

Otherwise, the desktop app will also update it, but that's not ideal for everyone
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,949
     Superuser
    RobOCR wrote:
    When I want to go for a run it takes forever before my watch goes to " START".

When I look at the info display I notice that my " Quickgps" doesn't have the usual " V" but a PC downloading symbol.

Maybe these things are related, maybe not.
    It all started just before the new My sports update.

Anyone who can help me with this problem?

Greetz Rob

For the GPS issue, are you updating the QuickGPS file a minimum of every three days by syncing the watch? This caches the expected satellite locations and makes for quicker attainment. Also do not try to get signal while moving, you are just making it harder on the watch. Best to just sit still with the button pointing skyward (or take it off and place it on a flat surface) until it finds the GPS. Make sure the watch is in an unobstructed area without large buildings, tree cover or reflective surfaces as this will cause a lot of interference. It will also take longer the first time you are in a new location but will speed up thereafter as it caches the location data for that spot. Once you get the Go it is best to give it another minute or two as Go is just the minimum satellites locked on. The longer you wait the more it will grab and the better your signal will be. Without the updated file it can take several minutes or longer to get a signal lock.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • jaykhimani
    jaykhimani Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    So what happens if you have not updated for more than 3 days? The issue I'm facing is Quick GPS is not updated anymore. I tried to sync it many times using the computer and also using my mobile app but it always stays out of date. I even tried to reset the watch to factory settings, but it still remains the same. My Spark 3 watch has firmware at version 1.3.255.
  • tt_gt
    If you have not updated recently, the watch will take longer to get it's initial lock (ie the get going screen), and the initial lock will also be less accurate.

On spark3/runner3/adventurer, there can be a problem where the quickfix gets into a state where it won't update, this looks like what you're seeing.

The way to fix this is to plug into MySportsConnect desktop app and hold down CTRL (win) or CMD (OSX) while hovering over the reset button in the settings section. The button should change to display "turn off". Select this, unplug and replug the watch and it should all be ok again.
  • jaykhimani
    jaykhimani Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    You are the hero. Quick GPS is back. Thanks.
  • tt_gt
    Pleased I could help :-)
  • Josiahch
    Josiahch Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for the solution! I've run into the same situation, Quick GPS no longer get updated even I have synchronized the watch with the apps many times (all successful but still the quick GPS not updated). After Ctrl and reset as the instructions above quick GPS is working again! Thanks guys!
This discussion has been closed.