Interval Training with TomTom Cardio — TomTom Community

Interval Training with TomTom Cardio

OrangeOrange Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Many users have posted issues with being able to view interval training paces after the event. My request is to be able to set pace/heartzone/Speed when programming the interval training session.

I would think that it just needs an extra layer, ie:
Work > Time > 10mins > Pace > 5:00 - 6:00
Rest > Time > 2mins > Heart > Easy
or > Pace > 7:00 - 8:00

The watch could then beep when goes outside these Pace/Heart/Speed zones, and also when the interval changes.

I previously used a Polar HR watch that allowed these settings. That watch beeped fast/slow whilst you were outside the limits and then at the interval change, rather than just at the transition (as per the Tomtom).

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,683
    Superusers
    Orange wrote:
    Many users have posted issues with being able to view interval training paces after the event. My request is to be able to set pace/heartzone/Speed when programming the interval training session.

I would think that it just needs an extra layer, ie:
    Work > Time > 10mins > Pace > 5:00 - 6:00
    Rest > Time > 2mins > Heart > Easy
    or > Pace > 7:00 - 8:00

The watch could then beep when goes outside these Pace/Heart/Speed zones, and also when the interval changes.

I previously used a Polar HR watch that allowed these settings. That watch beeped fast/slow whilst you were outside the limits and then at the interval change, rather than just at the transition (as per the Tomtom).

Not a bad suggestion, but I don't see it happening based on my experiences and observations after a few years on the forums. Various forms of advanced interval training have been requested since the introduction of the watches and there have been no changes in the last 3 years so I would assume it is not coming, but you never know. They are targeting a more casual athlete for whom the basic intervals will be fine, assuming they use interval training at all. I just don't think that they are looking to expand this into a more advanced watch, the whole thought process behind the watch was simplicity and streamlining, to avoid all the advanced programming and extra buttons and displays in other watches and this simplified interval training goes along with that. And what you are requesting (mixing interval training modes and layering HR on top of intervals) is more complicated than the requests that have not been implemented already. While it may be a useful feature for you, it needs to be something the majority of users would want in order to justify the resources needed to develop it and I just don't think the customer base for this watch has the interest in it that you do (demand = resources). The development team monitors the forums and notes requests and trends, but in my experience on the forums I would not expect much to change (they did not change it when they had the opportunity on the next generation of watches).

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • emanuele8emanuele8 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    To start may already be useful to set up a distance-based training session. For example:

Work 1: 4km (pace 00.05.36)
    Work 2: 3km (pace 00.05.21)
    Work 3: 3km (pace 00.05.11)

At least the clock could signal the term of each interval (without real-time feedback related to the pace-zone).

Even for a beginner this kind of sessions are on the agenda.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0