Multisport setting for Climbing/Bouldering

lolly-pop
lolly-pop Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hello, I've just purchased a Spark 3. My regular activities include running, cycling, HIIT workouts and Climbing/Bouldering (both indoors and outdoors).

Could someone please tell me the best sport setting to use for indoor climbing/bouldering and would it be different or the same for outdoor climbing/bouldering?

I'm assuming for indoor I would use the Gym function - is that correct? And for outdoor would the freestyle option be better?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,949
     Superuser
    The only difference between gym and freestyle is freestyle uses GPS and gym does not. If you are not looking to track a GPS track and get distance, then gym will work fine indoors or out. You will get distance, HR and calories based on HR. Be aware the HR may not be accurate as much like with weight lifting, i assume climbing has a lot of forearm tension and flexing, so it will impair the accuracy of the sensor. When you are constantly tensing and flexing your forearms, which is squeezing the blood vessels the watch is reading, so it sees this as a reduced pulse. You may also see it during rowing and cycling (when the rider is leaning forward putting all their weight on the wrists). It is not that the watch is having a problem reading your pulse, it is that you pulse has actually dropped because you are temporarily cutting off blood flow to the vessels it is reading. I have experienced this with every optical HR I have used, including a Mio and a Scosche unit. For these types of activities I wear a chest strap linked to the watch as an external sensor.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.