Feature Request: Start timer while waiting for GPS lock

robertbwrobertbw Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
Can I suggest that you add the option to start the timer immediately, even if there isn't GPS lock? Sometimes I haven't used the quick gps feature, and it can take up to 5 or more minutes for the GPS to lock, and I've already started running.
A second part to this feature would be the option to extend my route so I can manually add the route I ran while the GPS was waiting to lock. Having this feature would also be useful in the case where the watch runs out of battery, or I've forgotten to start it.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,673 Superusers
    It would not make much sense to start the timer before getting the GPS lock as all of the metrics would be wrong for the entire run. The pace would be off, the distance would be off, the elevation would be off, so it would basically be useless during the run. You would be better off making sure you sync once every three days or just before a run to make sure you have the most recent file. You really should not start running without GPS as it is going to really struggle to get a lock while in motion. What might take 3-5 minutes standing still (and would take seconds with an updated watch) can take much longer while moving.

As to adding the ability to manually extend a run, that is a big job as they need to add an entire mapping feature to the site, and I am not sure there is enough demand for it. I actually don't know of any websites that have this functionality and if the big guys are not doing it then it is unlikely that a smaller player like TT can afford it. Only SportTracks desktop version does this that I know of (and not ont eh website version). More people have asked for the ability to crop the run, not extend it.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • robertbwrobertbw Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks for the reply, some good points.
    However, I don't fully agree. There is not much stopping the watch from having a "Activity Time" as well as "GPS time", where the GPS time starts once it has lock, and all metrics are calculated from the GPS time, whereas Activity time starts when you want it to. Clearly it means that all the metrics won't include the first few minutes of the run, but that's easy to be aware of.
    As for syncing every 3 days, I'd been on a run within the previous 36hrs of that run, and had synced to mysports, so I'm not sure where your 3 day value comes from.
    I didn't consider the watch would struggle more while in motion, that's a good point.
    I realise that I "should" get the watch ready before running, and usually I do, but sometimes I forget, e.g. some friends pick me up to drive to the hills for a run, we're chatting, getting ready, and then we are about to start the run and I realise I forgot to start my watch. Saying: "I know everyone is ready to go, but can we just wait until my GPS locks?", isn't going to be popular.

I also feel that extending the route could be done, and maybe by using 3rd party maps - it seems you can get gpx data off google maps/OSM and you'd just need to add in some time stamps. Extending/correcting the route is a request that pops up everywhere, and if it is not commonly available, then it could be a USP for TT to distinguish themselves from their competition, because at the moment mySports is pretty far down the list of usable sports tracking apps. Personally, I export straight to Strava, which has the cropping feature you mention.

Interesting about SportsTrack - I'll have a look at there offering too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,673 Superusers
    Whenever you sync the watch it downloads an updated GPS QuickFix file, which caches the expected satellite locations and makes for quicker attainment, as the watch is looking for specific satellites and knows where to expect them. The data is only accurate for 3 days because of the weather, earth and space. Solar flares will cause drag and slow down satellites and hot weather on earth will expand the atmosphere and again cause drag. So you can know which satellites are overheard months in advance, you can't know the position accurately, which is where the QuickFix file comes in.

As to MySports, I agree it is lacking (I personally use Strava online and SportTracks on my computer), but I do not think there is much incentive for them to add much. Most people already have a site they prefer and will stick with it which is why they made it so easy to export data to other services. MySports is more of a repository for the data files for me. For them to invest a lot of money into it, it would need to be a selling point and drive watch sales, which it is unlikely to do considering the depth of competition out there in my opinion.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.