TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Swimming with TomTom watches

Claudiosala80Claudiosala80 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
Hello all.

I want buy my first watch, but I don't know which one.

Basically I want one to track my training sessions in swimming pool, but also using GPS in open water.

It seems watches track only on pool

Could you please somebody suggest me if there is one that can do both?

Regards
Claudio

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,601 Superusers
    The watch does not support open water swimming using GPS, it is for pools only. Supporting open water swimming is much more complicated than pool swimming (which involves counting strokes and figuring out the stroke length). GPS cannot be detected underwater so it would need to time the GPS signal attainment with the split second the watch is above water on each stroke (assuming you are doing a stroke that brings your arms out of the water). This is a very difficult thing to compensate for and it has been a mixed bag on all devices, none of them do it perfectly well and many have not even tried, like TT (and Garmin on their more recent devices). What most users who want open water swimming do is to use freestyle mode and put the watch in their cap or on a safety buoy behind them so it stays out of the water. You will then get distance but will lose swim specific metrics, however.

Be aware that swim lap counting can be hit or miss depending on the user. You need to be using a consistent stroke (freestyle is best), push very hard into the turns (it recognizes a turn by the accelerometer using a force thrust), do not pause mid lap, among other things.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.