Gym function and heart rate monitor is not working — TomTom Community

Gym function and heart rate monitor is not working

mvogelmvogel Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hello ,

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem. But I have had my Spark Music GPS Fitness Watch for about a month now. I have tried everything I can think of but, my Gym function does not work. Along with my Heart Rate monitor. I did notice the freestyle does not work at the gym either ( I am assuming because it is looking for a GPS signal and can not) Does any one have any suggestions or have this problem as well?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,191
    Superusers
    mvogel wrote:
    Hello ,

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem. But I have had my Spark Music GPS Fitness Watch for about a month now. I have tried everything I can think of but, my Gym function does not work. Along with my Heart Rate monitor. I did notice the freestyle does not work at the gym either ( I am assuming because it is looking for a GPS signal and can not) Does any one have any suggestions or have this problem as well?

How exactly does Gym mode not work, or the heart rate monitor? Are they not turning on or are the readings bad or is there some other issue? Freestyle is meant for GPS enabled activities so it will not likely work indoors.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • mvogelmvogel Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    After taking a better look at the Freestyle I assumed that it was based off of a GPS. Thank you for confirming that.

As for the gym function. I have tried multiple times at the gym and even at home (to see if maybe it was just were the gym is located) , every time I go to used the gym function it just stays at the please wait and never gives me the go. I have even played around with it and changed my goals, nothing has work. As for the HR monitor on my watch it shows the little heart on the top of the screen. However, when I go to check what my HR is I just get -- on the screen.

Does that description help ?
    Superusers
    mvogel wrote:
    After taking a better look at the Freestyle I assumed that it was based off of a GPS. Thank you for confirming that.

As for the gym function. I have tried multiple times at the gym and even at home (to see if maybe it was just were the gym is located) , every time I go to used the gym function it just stays at the please wait and never gives me the go. I have even played around with it and changed my goals, nothing has work. As for the HR monitor on my watch it shows the little heart on the top of the screen. However, when I go to check what my HR is I just get -- on the screen.

Does that description help ?

That sounds like a defect in the watch with the HR sensor not turning on (I assume you have pressed down from the clock screen and gone to Sensors> Heart> and selected On)? If so and it is turned on at this point I would suggest calling Customer Support and seeing what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact Us, and fill out the web form (select the Sports Watch and the issue - doesn't matter which one) it will show the Phone Us button, Press it and it will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the top right corner of the screen).

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Runner56Runner56 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, Ive had my watch for about 3 weeks, and everything else tracks fine, but the Gym function is doing exactly the same as yours. It just says "please wait" and then never gives me the go ahead. I mainly run or swim so for me its not the end of the world, but it would be nice to be able to log ALL workouts. I have performed the "recovery mode" and charged the watch up, but I still have the same issue! I think its a glitch??

Hopefully the next time TomTom offer an update it will resolve the issue? Fingers crossed!
    Superusers
    Runner56 wrote:
    Hi, Ive had my watch for about 3 weeks, and everything else tracks fine, but the Gym function is doing exactly the same as yours. It just says "please wait" and then never gives me the go ahead. I mainly run or swim so for me its not the end of the world, but it would be nice to be able to log ALL workouts. I have performed the "recovery mode" and charged the watch up, but I still have the same issue! I think its a glitch??

Hopefully the next time TomTom offer an update it will resolve the issue? Fingers crossed!

Have you tried a full factory reset rather than a recovery? If there is a problem in the firmware a recovery will not necessarily fix it. If that does not work you should definitely call Customer Support as this is not normal.
  • Runner56Runner56 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    When I go to sensors and switch off the "Heart," the gym function works. I only really want this function just to log the time Im working out with weights, so will use it like that. It goes straight to "GO" with the "Heart Sensor" off! Thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it!
  • mndreumndreu Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    hi. I ve got a multisports spark3. I ve got exactly the same problem. It s very frustrating. I did the same as you, changed goals, on/off heart rate sensor, nothing.
    Have you managed to fix the problem? If yes, i would really like to know what you did. thank you in advance
  • Onlyhuman79Onlyhuman79 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have a TOMTOM Spark 3 & IT will not work in Gym Mode -- will say PLEASE WAIT -- It will also not give a heart rate. Is it an older version that doesnt have a Wrist HR? I am not sure what to do. DO I need a chest HRM?
    Superusers
    I have a TOMTOM Spark 3 & IT will not work in Gym Mode -- will say PLEASE WAIT -- It will also not give a heart rate. Is it an older version that doesnt have a Wrist HR? I am not sure what to do. DO I need a chest HRM?

Is it a Cardio model? You can tell by looking at the back and seeing if there are LEDs or pressing down and going to about an seeing it it includes Cardio in the name at the top. If is not a Cardio model you will have to use an external strap. If it is, check to make sure the HR sensor is turned on. Go to Sensors>Heart and make sure it is set to on (external if using a strap).
  • Onlyhuman79Onlyhuman79 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thank you - Must not be a Cardio Model -- what straps are compatible?
    Superusers
    Thank you - Must not be a Cardio Model -- what straps are compatible?

Any BT+ chest strap will work as well as arm straps like the Scosche Rhythm+. Some with advanced running metrics (like the Wahoo Tickr which also measures vertical oscillation and ground contact) will work for HR but you will not get the added metrics measured.
  • leighdebeyerleighdebeyer Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My new Tom Tom Runner 2 (not Cardio model) does the same as what some people here are saying - on Gym mode it stays on the "Please wait" screen and never progresses to "Go" while the heart rate monitor is switched on. It does however work once HR monitor is switched off. I dont have an external HR chest strap. Perhaps this is the problem. All my other modes work perfectly.
    Superusers
    If it is set that you are using a HR Sensor (internal or external) it will not start as it is waiting to get a signal from the monitor. If you are not using HR at all it should be set for Sensors>Heart>Off.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0