Spark 3, load GPX track from phone (MyDrive or MyRoute app)

SJEg
SJEg Registered Users Posts: 140
Outstanding Wayfarer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hey,

I'm thinking about buying a gps watch. Mainly to get some data on my own performance and GPS navigation during cycling. The GPS navigation is the most important to me. In general I do not really care if I ride the route 100% like I planned, but I could use some new device to help stay on target (instead of getting my phone from my backpocket every 5km).

The main disadvantage of a GPS watch is: no turn by turn instructions AND option to navigate to an adres (have a route created for your on the spot). But, for my rider 400 (motorbike GPS) I frequently use the MyDrive phone app and send the destination to the device. Is anything like this possible with the Spark 3 (or any other tomtom device). I also have the MyRouteApp software, so I can create GPX track on my phone.

Does anybody have any experience with these devices as a cycling GPS navigator?

Comments

• elbo
    elbo Registered Users Posts: 49
    Apprentice Traveler
    Spark 3 only provides 'follow the line' navigation. No 'turn left in 100m' signals, no maps or anything like a car/motor navigation.

I have the same function on my Suunto Ambit 3, and it is doable. Sometimes I take a wrong turn and it takes some time to notice you deviate from the plotted line. For me it's alright, but my girlfriend hates it when I announce we have to turn around because we missed a turn.

There are watches that provide better navigation, like the Garmin Fenix 5x, but it's very expensive and quite large. You could look at smartwatches like Applewatch or something with Androidwear. They provide proper map navigation, but batterylife is a real issue.

If you really only use it for cycling, I suggest you buy a cycling navigation device (Garmin, Mio, or something else) and connect a heartrate monitor, if you want that performance indicatior. You could also use your phone for navigation. There are good phone holders for bikes and ways to connect an external batterypack.

If you heavily depend on navigation, I wouldn't recommend a TomTom watch.
  • SJEg
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Hi,

Thanks for the answer. But is there anyway to create a GPX track on your smartphone and send it directly to the watch? In general I "dotted line" navigation is good enough for me. The main use is cycling, but I think I will use it for other things once I have it. Like 24/7 heart rate would be nice....just to feed my hypochondriac

I made a commitment to myself to never ever buy a Garmin device....ever. I owned a top of the line Zumo for the motorbike. That was plain f*ing horrible. The best way to describe a Garmin device is: added complexity with reduced functionality. The worst part about it was this community of 50 year old men.....preaching how it was the best of the best....and how you need to learn and use the device..... etc etc.

As for the navigation. I'm still unsure what I want. If I could load a track file from my phone to the watch, that would be great.

Or...is TomTom planning to release a cycling navigation device anytime soon?
  • elbo
    Apprentice Traveler
    I haven't read about an option to sync routes between the watch and a telephone. Only the desktop app with usb cable provides that functionality (afaik)

Your right about Garmin gotting it's share of fanboys and loading their devices with options, which fail to function properly. But then again, who's perfect?
  • SJEg
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Hey,

That would be a deal breaker. Personally I do not mind the "dotted line" navigation. But If I cannot change my mind on the destination during the ride....it is a no go.

Thanks anyway.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,953
     Superuser
    You can load any GPX file through the MySports website and it will sync to the watch through the phone or the app (I think through the app at least). But in any case it is just a breadcrumb, you cannot change destinations to reroute on the fly. It will simply showing diverging from the planned route and will not reroute you.
  • elbo
    Apprentice Traveler
    @tfarabaugh. If you have a desktop/laptop nearby there is no problem uploading a gpx file to your watch. But without one it is impossible. It is not a TomTom specific problem, other brands don't support it either. Most times I want a gpx route on my watch if I'm on holiday and want to hike in the mountains. On holidays I don't take my laptop without.

SJEg asks for the same solution: syncing a gpx with only your phone at your proposal.

It would be handy if the app could download a gpx file (a simple copy past of a url would be sufficient) and then sync it to your watch.
  • SJEg
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    elbo wrote:

SJEg asks for the same solution: syncing a gpx with only your phone at your proposal.

It would be handy if the app could download a gpx file (a simple copy past of a url would be sufficient) and then sync it to your watch.

I use this function on the motorbike. I can send destinations or entire gpx files to my rider 400. For the rider 400 this is not really an essential feature since the device itself can do it (and has a decent sized screen etc etc). But for a GPS watch this is essential if you want to use it for navigation purposes.

Currently, on the normale bike, I just tend top hop on...rider for as long as I want in a random direction. If i'm done I just grab my phone and navigate back home. Normally, just by looking at the sun and the time I have a general sense of what direction I need to go. But the first 30 minutes or so tend to be quite frustrating. I'm grabbing my phone every other minute or so. Having a compass and a dotted line would make it allot easier.

Simply grabbing your phone, create a track from current location to home and sync it with the watch would be what I would need.