Cheap alternative headphones — TomTom Community

Cheap alternative headphones

thewrongtrousersthewrongtrousers Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
Can anyone recommend a cheap pair of alternative headphones to the list provided by TomTom. Preferably sport / waterproof. I have a couple of very cheap sub £10 ones that both pair with the watch but they have their other issues (one the control is in a weird place and bashes into my neck all the time, and the other set don't stay in my ears very well).

thanks in advance

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,819 Superusers
    Most BT LE headphones should work, but some work better than others. Price seems to not be a factor as the cheaper ones often seem to work better than the expensive ones. This is due to the fact that cheap models are more likely to use the base BT protocols and not customize them for advanced features or settings like more expensive models do (and there is no way of knowing if a manufacturer has tweaked the protocols to take them out of compliance). The BT standard is in such a way a 'standard' that it can be widely interpreted with different settings for buffer sizes, time outs, profiles, protocols, antenna configurations, etc.. TomTom cannot change their code every time a headphone manufacturers messes with the BT coding. This is a case where paying more will not increase the chances of connectivity, it may actually decrease it. There are thousands of models out there so there is no way for TT to test them all and since the manufacturers often tweak the BT settings in the headphones there is no way to know upfront if a pair will work or not. At a minimum they need to be BT LE and support A2DP and AVRCP, the two protocols necessary to play music. Your best bet is to buy them from someplace with a good return policy so if they don't work you can return them and try another brand.

A lot of users recommend the Mpow brand which are available for cheap on Amazon and elsewhere. Again, cheaper is ften betetr and just make sure you can return them.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Clayton TcoClayton Tco Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I bought a pair of headphones from AUKEY, the model is EP B4. I use them a lot, and never got problems with pairing my watch. They are cheap and for me the sound is good. Take a look on them maybe you'd like to
  • starfleetyajstarfleetyaj Posts: 42 [Legendary Explorer]
    I reviewed the Soundbot 556 headphones at the link below. Net is they are still working well for me.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/soundbot-556-headphones-inexpensive-headphones-1014527
  • elboelbo Posts: 49 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I have a couple of very cheap sub £10 ones

For a couple of cheap ones you can buy 1 slightly more expensive one ;)

My experience so far:
    A really cheap (around 7 euro) aliexpress one was really crap. Very bad bluetooth connection with my watch and although it was advertised as a sport headphone, I managed to sweat it to smithereens in only 1 run.

My quite more expensive Philips headset it brilliant, and even the weak TomTom bluetooth signal is picked up very well by it. There are still some hick ups (which I only have with the TomTom watch, so I blame them) but if I keep the bit rate at max 128kb it is doable. The watch seems to struggle with higher bitrates. (but then again, the watch seems to struggle with almost anything :(

My advice: keep away from the really low priced headsets and use low bit rate mp3s
  • jmbsmt63jmbsmt63 Posts: 13 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    elbo wrote:
    I have a couple of very cheap sub £10 ones

For a couple of cheap ones you can buy 1 slightly more expensive one ;)

My experience so far:
    A really cheap (around 7 euro) aliexpress one was really crap. Very bad bluetooth connection with my watch and although it was advertised as a sport headphone, I managed to sweat it to smithereens in only 1 run.

My quite more expensive Philips headset it brilliant, and even the weak TomTom bluetooth signal is picked up very well by it. There are still some hick ups (which I only have with the TomTom watch, so I blame them) but if I keep the bit rate at max 128kb it is doable. The watch seems to struggle with higher bitrates. (but then again, the watch seems to struggle with almost anything :(

My advice: keep away from the really low priced headsets and use low bit rate mp3s

What Model Phillips, Please?
    @jmbsmt63 Philips SHQ7900
  • jmbsmt63jmbsmt63 Posts: 13 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    That was quick!!! Thank You!

They might be a good choice for me because I like the "open air" type that will let a little ambient noise in.
    Yes. The openness is good. I don't like in-ear things which isolates you from your surrounding. And the magnet is very clever. You clip it on your shirt and the reciever/battery part sticks on and doesn't bungle around.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,819 Superusers
    If you want open ears you should look at AfterShokz, which do not go in your ears at all. They use bone conduction and sit on your temples with nothing in or on your ears. They work great.
  • sbynoesbynoe Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    If you're thinking of buying yourself noise cancelling headphones, one of the first things that you need to consider are the built in features. Since a pair can easily set you back more than a couple of hundred dollars, you need to choose a brand that can give you features that you'll be able to out to good use. You should also look for a pair of headphones that fits your head perfectly so that they will be comfortable to wear, no matter how long you've been wearing them. Lastly, don't forget to scour the internet for deals on noise cancelling headphones so that you can get the best deals. There are a lot of online stores that can give you quality headphones at an affordable price.
  • RuniaRunia Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Just ordered and received the Anker Soundbuds NB10. These are almost identical to the TomTom earphones.
    Quoted from "Soundguys.com" review: "The Soundbuds NB10s are still a quality pair of inexpensive Anker headphones, but don't expect them to be the best headphones you've ever had. What you pay is what you get, solid 'buds to sweat in."