Loading and erasing music manually on Spark 3 — TomTom Community

Loading and erasing music manually on Spark 3

emilio89emilio89 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
I loaded some music manually (i.e. drag and drop) on my Tomtom Spark 3 music. Although it isn't organised nicely into folders it plays on the device. Now I would like to erase it, but manually erasing it doesn't work. I also tried a hard reset, but the music is still on the device, even though it doesn't show up on the folder in finder on my mac.

At this point, I just want to delete everything and start from scratch. How do I do so without erasing the watch's software.

Thank you very much for any advice

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,815 Superusers
    Open the watch in a File Explorer window where it is mounted as a drive (normally called TomTom GPS Watch) and delete everything in the Music Folder ([drive number]:\MySportConnect\Music). Close the Connect software (right click the tray icon and select Exit) and reopen it and it will reinitialize the watch and you can see it in the Music window. Using the Music window is the preferred method to getting music on the watch, but you need to have playlists set up already. Here are the basics on getting music onto the watch:

The MySports Connect application talks to Windows Media Player and iTunes (if they are installed) to query the playlists you have created (you cannot upload individual files; they need to be organized into playlists). These playlists are then listed when you connect your watch. This will include any video playlists created by WMP and iTunes, TT cannot control this, they can't tell a music playlist from a video playlist. To make it easier to load them, give the playlists distinctive names like "My Spark Playlist" or something similar so they are easier to find. You then use MySports Connect to copy the playlists you want to the watch. In iTunes & WMP you need to create playlists (the watch only plays playlists, not individual files as there is no folder system on the watch). Once you have the playlists created, dock the watch and hit the music note button on the Connect interface, which will take you to the Music screen where it will list all playlists on the computer. When you see the one you want to load, click on it to add it to the watch. Make sure the tracks are in the right format. If tracks are not in an acceptable format they will not play, nor will the playlists they are in.

MP3:
    Sample rate: 16KHz to 48KHz
    Bit rate: 8 kbps to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo channels and joint stereo.
    Artist, track title and length are displayed for the following languages: English, Czech, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Finnish and Swedish. Other languages may display correctly if the only used characters available in a supported language.

AAC:
    MPEG2 and MPEG4 AAC-LC and HE-AACv2 are supported.
    Sample rate: up to 48KHz
    Bit rate: up to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo/dual mono are supported.
    Artist, track title and length for AAC is not supported.

The watch does not support files with DRM of any type. This includes offline tracks from Apple Music and Spotify. MySports Connect will not count any DRM tracks as part of a playlist, so if all the tracks in a playlist are DRM then the playlist will not be shown at all.

If you are not using Windows Media Player or iTunes then you need to create an .m3u or .m3u8 playlist file (various music programs do this) and then set the Playlist Root Folder. Press the Gear icon in MySports Connect and then scroll down to Advanced Settings and set the location here. The playlist root folder is searched (and sub-directories) for any .m3u/.m3u8 playlist files and those will be listed (along with any Windows Media Player/iTunes playlists) by MySports Connect when you connect your watch. This only needs to be done if you are not using WMP or iTunes; otherwise they search the default locations. The playlists need to be on a physical drive on your machine, it will not find cloud drives.

If using iTunes, check that iTunes is set to share libraries. You need to click the dropdown at the very top left and select Preferences. On the Advanced tab, make sure there is a check next to "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications".

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • emilio89emilio89 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you very much for your advice.

I managed to locate the hidden files with disk inventory (mac os app)... they showed up as if they were in the computer's trash bin, but were still on the device. Once I emptied the trash they disappeared. Weird.

I'll use your advice on how to load new files onto the device next time I need to.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,815 Superusers
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, on a Mac it does not delete them, it moves them into a hidden trash folder. Glad you figured it out. When you get a chance please mark my response as a solution so others with the same question can look for it.
  • emilio89 wrote:
    Thank you very much for your advice.

I managed to locate the hidden files with disk inventory (mac os app)... they showed up as if they were in the computer's trash bin, but were still on the device. Once I emptied the trash they disappeared. Weird.

I'll use your advice on how to load new files onto the device next time I need to.
    Hi. As well as using iTunes, you can also load tracks manually using the following method
    1. Copy the folder of tracks you want to be in a playlist to below the 'Music' folder of the drive mounted when you connect the watch
    2. Go to the Music page of Sports Connect and click the refresh icon.
    3. The folder will then be a playlist on the watch.

Note that you can't add tracks to the playlist once you have created it.

Regards,
    Stuart.