Correct pace and Gps connections — TomTom Community

Correct pace and Gps connections

jen886jen886 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
My watch doesn't appear to have the correct pace when I am running. It lags a lot and fluctuates. It's not real time pace as it should be. I got this in June and have tried and tried to give it a good go but it is interfering with my training quite drastically. It isn't consistent and if there is trees or it's an overcast day the pace and Gps trackers don't work properly.
Help!!

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,782 Superusers
    jen886 wrote:
    My watch doesn't appear to have the correct pace when I am running. It lags a lot and fluctuates. It's not real time pace as it should be. I got this in June and have tried and tried to give it a good go but it is interfering with my training quite drastically. It isn't consistent and if there is trees or it's an overcast day the pace and Gps trackers don't work properly.
    Help!!

No watch has true "instant pace". It is all computed in arrears and is a balance between responsiveness and smoothness. A longer lag time gives you smoother data but is slow to react. A short lag time gets faster responsiveness but choppier data. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. If you are running at a fairly steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent. This has been a complaint since the first version of the watch was released 3+ years ago and really has not changed much, so i would not expect much to change now. If this is a vital feature for you and you are within your return period you may want to look at other devices that offer this option now. I would not count on it coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • jen886jen886 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you very much for the feedback. Exactly what I needed to know!
    Cheers :)
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,782 Superusers
    jen886 wrote:
    Thank you very much for the feedback. Exactly what I needed to know!
    Cheers :)

Glad I could help. When you get a chance please mark my response as a solution so others with the same question can look for it.
  • AthloniAthloni Posts: 15 [Legendary Explorer]
    It's a big problem of TomTom sports watches. Don't buy is if you care about instant pace. It's not suited for interval training:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/runner-multi-sport-184/multisports-current-pace-vs-average-pace-completely-off-667260/index9.html
  • nostosnostos Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Tom Tom,

I perfectly understand your explanation above (No watch has true "instant pace". It is all computed in arrears and is a balance between responsiveness and smoothness. A longer lag time gives you smoother data but is slow to react. A short lag time gets faster responsiveness but choppier data. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. If you are running at a fairly steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent)

However my brand new Tom Tom Adventurer watch displays a real time speed which is NEARLY ALWAYS 2 km/h below the real value.

I have been running at the same pace for half an hour to check if the real time speed would stabilize. It did stabilize, but 2 km/h below the real speed.

It really looks like there is a bug...

Thanks for your help