Feature request: Average interval pace — TomTom Community

Feature request: Average interval pace

psanpsan Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
Hi,

I just like to make a suggestion to add the option to show the avarage pace on a interval while running it. Just like you can see on laps.

/Andreas

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,920 Superusers
    psan wrote:
    Hi,

I just like to make a suggestion to add the option to show the avarage pace on a interval while running it. Just like you can see on laps.

/Andreas

I believe the issue may be that for many people the intervals are going to be too short to allow them to compute a meaningful average pace. There is a lag built into the pace to collect data, analyze it and produce an average. For many users doing any sort of sprint or short intervals the length of the intervals may be shorter than the time needed to determine average pacewhich needs a decent period of time to smooth out the data and give a meaningful metric.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    I believe the issue may be that for many people the intervals are going to be too short to allow them to compute a meaningful average pace.

... I don't know... if I pull the .CSV from a running activity, just adding 6 of the "cycles" values and multiply by 10 gives a good enough estimation of my running pace (10 rpm precision, but seems to be accurate)... So if this value comes real time from the watch's accelerometer, I guess calculating a moving average, with more weight given to the last couple seconds would probably be enough to give a satisfactory estimation of running pace in "real time" (2/3 seconds lag could be considered real time I guess)
  • BeerMattBeerMatt Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is currently my biggest bugbear with the Runner 2: lap pace when running intervals.

If I run intervals of 0.2 miles or up to 1 mile, I cannot read how fast I am going. I can read "pace now" (which tends to bounce around as I slow down at junctions, stop momentarily to avoid other road users, or go under trees where the GPS has an issue) or my "average pace", which includes my warm-up, any previous efforts and the recoveries between. Neither of these are much use for running a mile at a particular pace.

If I just go out and run with "laps" enabled in Training, it will tell me my average pace for each mile (or half mile, or 1/100th of a mile, or 10 seconds). But it can't do this under "intervals" mode.

I don't buy the lag issue: it can tell me my lap pace in lap mode with laps set to 1/100th of a mile or 10 seconds. Why can it not tell me my pace over a mile in interval session?

Typical sessions:

Warm up - X reps of 0.2 miles at 1 mile pace, with 60 secs recovery (I'd love to make this 0.25 miles, but the Runner 2 won't accept 1/100th of a mile for intervals) - cool down.
    Warm up - X reps of 0.5 miles at 5k pace, with 2 minutes recovery - cool down.
    Warm up - X reps of 1 mile at half marathon pace, with 3 minutes recovery - cool down

If I can't confirm my pace judgement when I'm training, I might as well just use a stopwatch.
  • froggyranitafroggyranita Posts: 55 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    +1 for the average interval pace. ( i can dream can I?)

Pascal
  • psanpsan Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Why would this option not be possible just because some people runs short intervalls? My intervalls are 1km. An option to show this would not force anyone to do it ;)
  • Ad9Ad9 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    +1 for averages. It is a major feature and it shouldn't be too hard to calculate and show averaged when 'zooming' in on intervals of a run at the TomTom MySports website.
  • MachMach Posts: 89 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    This feature already exists in the LAP mode, so I use manual laps instead of intervals. If TomTom has so much trouble implementing average interval pace, then i say - bye bye TomTom. The other companies show that they can do it
  • psanpsan Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Mach wrote:
    This feature already exists in the LAP mode, so I use manual laps instead of intervals. If TomTom has so much trouble implementing average interval pace, then i say - bye bye TomTom. The other companies show that they can do it

I actually tried that, but then I ran into another problem. New laps can't be triggered when the screen is wet:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-tomtom-adventurer-473/cant-trigger-new-lap-when-my-spark-wet-1005248
  • fred2kfred2k Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Furthermore, we have the issue of current pace inaccuracy.
    With the lack of feature on one side and the failure on the other, it impossible to actually know your speed while during intervals. Creating short laps won't work because some sessions require a mix of time and distance for the run and rest parts