GO Mobile (Android)- Problem starting the app when SD installed

darpas70darpas70 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Dear Sirs,
I have been a user of the TomTom Go Mobile app for Android for three years (I have paid yearly for unlimited mileage). Since yesterday, when I upgraded from Samsung Galaxy S2 to Motorola G4 Plus I am experiencing an annoying problem with the app. I have a Lexar 128 Gbyte micro SD installed (which works fine on the phone) and after downloading and installing the TomTom app, when I am prompted to download a map, it gets stuck at 1%. I debugged the problem and discovered that the only way to proceed is to unmount the micro SD, so that the app downloads the map to internal memory. I tried to format the micro SD from the phone but nothing changed. This is very annoying since my phone has 16 Gbyte internal memory but 128 Gbyte on micro SD. Can you please provide a fix to this problem?
Thank you very much for your support
Best regards

Comments

• tgoldtgold Posts: 2,056 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Check the formatting of the file system of your microSD card. TomTom requires the use of FAT32. With some Windows systems you will need to obtain an accessory formatter if the one included by Microsoft limits FAT32 formatting to 32GB drives. If so then I recommend this one: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi darpas70,

Welcome to the forum!

In addition to tgold's advise, please also see

How do I download my map for the TomTom GO Mobile app for Android to my SD memory card?

Cheers, Mikko
  • darpas70darpas70 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Dear Sirs,
    the problem seems solved according to your indications. The strange thing is that after formatting the SD to FAT32, the first time that I tried the procedure it blocked again at 1%. I removed the app, reinstalled it and this time it worked, saving the map to the SD.
    Thank you for your support
    Best regards
  • KullerudKullerud Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have the samew pgoblem - TomTom did work on the internal Storage - but made the phone unusable because maps filled everythnig (Samsung Galaxy S7, 64), when following the procedure to get TomTom Og to use the SD card (64k exFAT) it refulse to start - way before loadnig maps even become an issue. What is the fix?
    The fix is to reformat your card to FAT32. The current version of GO Mobile does not support external storage with an exFAT file system.
    So how do i do reformat - the software refereed (..ridgecorp..) above insisted on formatting it in exFAT and gave not FAT32 option for my card
    The procedure implemented as advice. Still the TomTom GO is hanging at start-up. It do the way do the same if i install it on the same phone with no SIM card installed. So problem may not be the SIM card even if problem started after i did follow the procedure adviced to make TomTom use SIM card for map storage. (Samsung software version G930FXXU1BPLB.... Android 6.0.1)
    Hi Kullerud,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of your issue with the app! The issue with the app hanging at start-up is going to be addressed in the next release. Meanwhile you could try the following steps:
    • In the phone, go to Settings > Apps > GO > Storage and tap Clear data
    • The start it again and download the map
    • Once downloaded the map, do not enable MyDrive synch
    • If existing, delete the folder /Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp from the SD-card
    • If existing, delete the folder /Android/obb/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp from the SD-card

We've also found out that the issue some are experiencing when installing the app to an SD card is not likely related to the format of the SD card but rather the general quality of it. We recommend using high quality cards of well known brands. Also installing a large map is more likely to cause problems with low quality SD card as the app needs to read large chunks of data. Installing a smaller map often works better in these situations.

Cheers, Mikko
  • lneamlneam Posts: 48 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    After so much new versions, do we know how soon TomTom will solve "exFAT" issue into sdcard installation ...????
    Any thoughts from tomtom, to add the ability to application, the user to choose where to install the maps
    1. internal memory
    2. external memory
    I had to say about "low quality SD card" to the tomtom staff [email protected]
    Up to tomtomGO v1.09 into the same smartphone everything was OK. After tomtom v1.10, software crash ....
    Hi Ineam,

I'm afraid I don't have more info that I've mentioned above. This is currently considered a problem with low quality memory cards.

If you're using a high quality/known brand memory card and experience this issue, please report it to Customer Service. They'll be able to gather all the relevant details for our technicians to investigate further.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi MikkoK,
    I am using one Lexar 64GB 300x speed.
  • NYTBNYTB Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Please make this more clear in the way the app presents itself. I was annoyed that it did not use the SD card. Apparently it does, but does not tell us. This is bad human Factors.
    I suggest that in the drill down , , , , you add a switch "Place Maps on SD Card" with a comment with the rule you just stated.
    Also the rule is strange to me since the SD Card may have lots of free space, enough to hold the map. As a result local storage would get cluttered with unnecessary stuff. It is not hard to clean up the junk on the SD Card.

It would also be nice if you could build the app so it can me moved to the SD card.
  • NYTBNYTB Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hmmm what happened to my edits?
    I suggest that in the drill down Menu, settings, System, Your Information,
    you add a switch "Place Maps on SD Card" with a comment with the rule you just stated.