Buying a new TomTom...decisions — TomTom Community

Buying a new TomTom...decisions

Jabba ThuttJabba Thutt Posts: 9 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 29 in Travel lounge
I have no idea where to put this question, this forum is as confusing as the TomTom versions!
Sadly in their greed...oops...wisdom, TomTom are no longer supporting my XL which functions perfectly, instead they are forcing me to buy a new unit. However I have bought and returned 2 already as I am so confused about which offers what. Even TomTom's site does not have clarity so I am hoping someone here will help me.
I don't just use the mapping I make extensive use of the POI system on TomTom. I make my own categories, then add POI's to the appropriate category. Later, I may set a route from A to B, then ask what POI's from a particular category are near that destination, or en route to it.
I also often use the feature that allows you to avoid a roadblock 100 yards ahead, a mile ahead etc, rerouting you as you drive.
None of the free mapping apps allows this level of navigation and although TomTom's choice of route is often questionable, this categorising and searching of user assigned POI's is to me the most important aspect of the unit.
So, looking at the 5100 it is impossible to determine if I can do what I wish to do with that particular unit and I did read on another forum that TomTom did not allow this sort of POI usage anymore.
Can anyone shed any light?

Comments

• OztoursOztours Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Save yourself the hassle of what many others have already discovered. TomTom have really screwed things up badly with the newer devices. Just read many of the comments within this forum (and others also). The hardware is still good and is probably still the most accurate; however, they totally screwed up the software. It is full of bugs and all the good points of previous versions have all gone which is totally stupid. It used to be one of the easiest to use and is now the most difficult. God forbid you have a PC blowout and lose your backup of POI's. There is no way you can download them off the unit itself to be able to work on them in a POI editor. MyDrive and MyDrive Connect in their current format are totally useless. The unit is not visible on the PC nor are any editors allowed access. Until TomTom wise up and do something about this situation, I would suggest you look at Garmin. I also have a Garmin Nuvicam (records the journey as an in car video recorder). So much better than the latest offerings from TomTom. Easy to use and fully accessible on the PC. It really is a shame because TomTom was the leader in the industry. Come on TomTom. Get your head out of the sand.
  • mrpj3mrpj3 Posts: 126 [Outstanding Explorer]
    As Oztours, don't do it.
    I was a TomTom user for many years right from the old "One". After buying a Go 6100 (replaced a Classic XXL) I found out how far down the slippery slope they have gone. Too far for me because I took a monetary hit and sold the 6100. I now have a Garmin which in some respects is not as good as the 6100 but in many more ways is far better. The pros of the Garmin far outweigh the cons, compared to the 6100, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Zsolt KocsisZsolt Kocsis Posts: 51 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    The capability to extensively use custom pois on TomTom has been missing for the last 3 years.

TomTom say they are working on this gap, but to date have not delivered it after 3 years of customer requests

Also TomTom have so far not advised what they are actually working on e.g. will it have the same functions of the old XL series? - this information has not been advised to us by TomTom on this forum
  • Ovalball03Ovalball03 Posts: 289 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    The POI debacle is no closer to being resolved.How the mods can come on here and defend the company's stance is embarrassing.However on a more positive note,when my 6100 works,it works really well.You become a bit immune to the bugs,particularly after firmware updates.In fact I now expect them.The latest is a typical example.It has created more problems than it was meant to solve.Personnally I have yet to find any other device out there which suits me any better.Garmin is ok but the traffic isn't has good,which is important to me.So in the short time I am sticking rather begrudgingly with tomtom in the hope the POI issue will be resolved.My optimism is waning as each month comes and goes.Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Zsolt KocsisZsolt Kocsis Posts: 51 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    "So, looking at the 5100 it is impossible to determine if I can do what I wish to do with that particular unit and I did read on another forum that TomTom did not allow this sort of POI usage anymore. "
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,954 Superusers
    @Jabba Thutt
    Hi
    Create a POI Category with your Favorite places
    Using your PC to build your own MyPlaces (Favorites) Database and load them into your Go
    Download the Free Tyre to Travel Basic..... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    Tyre To Travel uses Google Maps and the large screen on your PC to view the maps, it easier than to scrolling around the screen of your Tomtom GO to find your MyPlaces (Favorites)

Or use the free version of MyRoute App… https://www.myrouteapp.com/en
    As with Tyre the free version uses Google Maps, the subscription version (Gold) Uses Tomtom maps and many added extra features

(1)..... Run Tyre to Travel
    Wait for Tyre to stop being busy

(2).....Double Click on the Tyre map at the position you would like to create a POI (Favorite) or use the yellow box in Tyre to search for addresses postcodes etc...

(3)….. To prevent double entry's in MyPlaces on the GO, when you are planning POI's (_Favorites), edit the names of your POI's so they each POI has a unique name that means something to you or modify the Name offered by Tyre so it becomes unique
    (3.1)..... When you have finished compiling your list,
    (3.2)….. From the Tyre "File Tab" select "Convert to a TomTom POI File”

e5b145ab-3a27-4fab-8142-8acd71b104de.png(3.3)….. From the Tyre "File Tab” Select “Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the POI Category to the top of the list

You can, of course, save the POI Category under any name

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, it’s also handy to have a backup of your .Ov2 file on your PC

(4.0)..... Use My Drive to load your New Favorites POI Category to your device

Using MyDrive.....

You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead… Any editing of a POI Category must be done offline using Tyre or MyRoute App as the NAV4 devices haven’t got the facility to edit POI Categories on the device

You can't show a POI category on the driving map, but you can show categorised POI's on the Map during a search
    Tomtom video for using MyDrive... The loading of POI's starts at 2Minutes 10Seconds.....

For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type dud(maston) (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list
    Tap on Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

f889ad92-ec4d-4cff-b7ab-06acfe020b8a.jpg(1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range it's easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons apear
    74eedb1f-18ae-449b-a8b5-97669f825f30.jpgATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'