TT Adventurer - swim distance doesn't work half way. — TomTom Community

TT Adventurer - swim distance doesn't work half way.

jaumengjaumeng Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Set the watch to the pool size. After each laps I will stop for a minute to rest and check my distance. My normal distance is 700-800 m per session.
These past 4 days I noticed:
(1) the watch was working fine for the first 200 m or so but stuck at the same distance even after I have done extra 4-5 laps. A few laps later, it add up all the "missing" laps that I have done.
(2) Yesterday it stuck at 450 m and not moving an inch. Thought if I sync it would give the correct reading but nothing happens, still recorded as 450 m.

Comments

• jaumengjaumeng Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Updates concerning swimming distance - yesterday I tried another method. I set the distance goal and it works !
    BTW I also noticed that the swimming distance "jammed" after I replaced with a new TT Spark strap, originally was using the Adventurer strap.
    Photo attached - Adventurer strap (Orange colour) and TT Spark (Indigo Blue).
    The watch face seemed to be raised by 2 mm above the mounting when using TT Spark. I am not sure whether this has caused the error/malfunction.
    Will try with the Adventurer strap later today.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,398
    Superusers
    The Adventure watch is designed that way to protect the watch face better as it is intended for more rugged outdoor activities. I cannot imagine why this would prevent the watch from measuring distance. At this point I would suggest calling Customer Support to see what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    Thank you as the issue puzzled me too. Just got back from swimming and the watch lost 100 m of my total swim distance - stuck at 250 m. Will contact customer service. Thanks.
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    jaumeng wrote:
    Set the watch to the pool size. After each laps I will stop for a minute to rest...

yes, I noticed the same erratic behaviour when I do this type of exercice... I fear this probably has to do with the way Tomtom algorithm for detecting laps works: it basically starts a new lap when it detects a u turn, so if you don't turn, it's a bit lost: sometimes it understands you swam 1 length and stopped (but timing will be wrong) sometimes it misses out completely (probably thinking that you were just shaking your arm for a little while, but not swimming...).

... my solution to solve the issue would be to swim at least 2 laps before stopping: the problem disappears when i swim normal sets.

also, you might want to try setting your watch so that it vibrates when it detects a turn : it helps a lot to know what makes the watch detect/miss a turn. you can do this in training>lap>distance>1 length
    1) this old man will try to swim 2 laps without stopping but I doubt it cos' I have been trying for weeks .. hahahaha. Seriously it should not be a problem even stopping for each lap.
    2) It works well when I set Swim-Distance-Goal.
    3) Prior to this problem, when I looked back at my past 10 days swimming records, they were all correct ... puzzling.
    Thank you. will try your methods. cheers..
    Hi gl00. Your method works very well. However, I still having the distance problem if I am not using your method.... Thanks