Is the built in SIM operating on the 2G or the 3G network in Australia. — TomTom Community

Is the built in SIM operating on the 2G or the 3G network in Australia.

MitteMitte Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
I would like to ask with regards to the Go 5200 / 6200 devices, Is the built in SIM operating on the 2G or the 3G network in Australia.
It has been suggested on another forum that the SIM is using the 2G Vodafone AU network which is to be closed down in September.
This is a worry if true.

Comments

• bigbig Posts: 1,670
    Superuser
    They question has been asked many times here and inexplicably TomTom has never provided an answer.
    Superuser
    The question has been asked many times here and, inexplicably, TomTom has never posted a definitive answer.
  • MitteMitte Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Thank you big.
    I did try looking for an answer, but could not find one..
    My thinking is that if the built in Live Services no longer works when 2G is shut down, then I will be making a warranty claim on tomtom as the device will not be working as intended or as advertised and as such will be in breach of Australian consumer law.
    I'm hoping, though I've found no info to confirm or deny this, is that the SIM will also be 3G compatable and will just continue working.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 11,033
    Superuser
    @Mitte

Maybe raise a support ticket here:- https://au.support.tomtom.com/app/contact/p/4304#EmailTab
    Asking if you will still receive "Live Services" after Vodafone's 2G September shutdown?
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Sorry for my late reply here! Below is our statement about this. I'll post an update here as soon as I have further information so I'd recommend you to subscribe to this topic using the Subscribe button in top left.

Our network operator in Australia has decided to decommission its legacy 2G Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) network on 30th April 2018. Therefore, after 30th April 2018, our GO 5200/6200 and GO 5100/6100 products will unfortunately no longer be able to receive TomTom traffic or mobile speed camera information via their built-in SIM card (as they rely on the 2G GSM network). Importantly, all other functions of our GO 5200/6200 and GO 5100/6100 products will continue to work and for instance fixed speed cameras can be downloaded on these devices to get alerts for them. Although the closure is, unfortunately, out of our control, we have taken measures to minimize the impact of the network closure for our customers to ensure that they can continue to use the TomTom services they bought and rely on. As soon as possible, all affected customers that have a registered TomTom account will receive an email pertaining to their situation.

Cheers, Mikko
    Superuser
    I hope someone would be kind enough to post the email they receive containing TomTom's "solution" (which I imagine is a discount on yet another TomTom product).
  • BullockyBullocky Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is unsatisfactory. Having just purchased the GO 5200 today, specifically because of the TomTom services via built-in SIM (for $100 extra) I am feeling ripped-off. Surely, a simple changeover/update to 3G is possible to maintain this vital feature. Should I take it back and get a Garmin?
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    Bullocky wrote:
    Should I take it back and get a Garmin?
    Yes or a TomTom without built-in SIM card.
    Hi Bullocky,

Welcome to the Community!

All retailers should be informed about this and no longer selling devices that are going to be affected by the change in the network availability. As mentioned above, we'll inform affected customers in due time. You're device will work normally with all the features you've paid for for still about a year :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • CTCTCTCT Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
    If 2G eventually disappears in Europe, will it be possible to use live traffic and cameras on the 5200/6200 with mobile phone connection, as is the case with 520/620?
    Hi CTCT,

As mentioned above, there are measures we can take to ensure that our customers can continue to use the devices and services they've purchased also in case of changes that are not in our control. We will address such situations as they become acute and contact affected customers. In short, you don't need to worry about this :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • RichrdRichrd Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    What measures can TomTom possibly take?

In about 4 months - by 30th September 2017 (not 31st March 2018), Vodafone will have completed its switch-off of their Aus 2G network. I believe that Tomtom use Voda here. Telstra's 2G went 6 months ago (save for Christmas Island) and Optus are turning theirs off over the next 3 months - so there will be no other 2G here, in case TomTom thought they could switch providers. It IS time to worry.

Perhaps Tomtom should have stopped selling the 5200/6200 last September, when Voda announced the switch-off? 2G switch-off has been on the cards here for years, so it seems very short-sighted to have sold a 2G device here any time in the last couple of years.

It's either new hardware time, or they start operating like 520/620s - IE bluetooth tethering to a phone.
    Hi Richard,

I'm afraid your information is incorrect. We've been in touch with our partner in Australia and are making preparations based on information they've provided us.

As mentioned above, affected customers will be contacted in due time. Unfortunately, I can't comment on this further here at this point.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi Mikko, perhaps you could please explain which of my statements you believe to be incorrect?

For your reference, here are the statements direct from Voda AU, plus AMTA:
    http://www.vodafone.com.au/media/vodafone-to-switch-off-2g-network-next-year/
    http://www.vodafone.com.au/red-wire/goodbye-to-2g/
    http://www.amta.org.au/amta/news/51135.2g-networks-are-switching-off
    .. In 4 months, there will be no more 2G in Australia.

Or are you now confirming that the 5200/6200 is indeed 3G capable? If so, which 3G frequencies do they support? That would suggest Tomtom are negotiating a 3G data service with an Aus telco.

Or perhaps you were not commenting on any of the above, but rather suggesting that the 5200/6200 cannot even bluetooth tether?
  • red99red99 Posts: 42 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi Folks this is of some concern to me as I just bought a new Go 6200 . I can confirm the 2G has gone and the frequencies are now used by 4Gespecially in remote areas. I was a previous user of a GO 825 up until it passed away recently and have had no issues with connecting with TOMTOM live ... presumably because the "phone" module is a 3g or a 4G module. Can tomtom confirm which it is ?
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,012
    Superusers
    The old TT models use 2G only (and as far as I know, the latest models too).
    Superuser
    They are definitely 2G, the statement of that is here:
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-wi-fi-6200-5200-620-520-52-professional-via-53-482/the-built-sim-operating-on-the-2g-or-the-3g-network-australia-1019482?postid=1157877

The specifications of the communications board inside the latest devices say it supports 3G but it's not clear (and in my opinion, unlikely) that the modem itself supports 3G.
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-wi-fi-6200-5200-620-520-52-professional-via-53-482/it-true-6200-sim-wont-work-australia-1-oct-2017-1014235?postid=1130598

2G is gradually being eliminated in many areas. Parts of Asia, the US and Australia are already or soon to be without 2G. Why TomTom doesn't want to make a truly world-wide device and allow roaming (perhaps for a fee) is beyond me.
  • red99red99 Posts: 42 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Good Folks
    I purchased one of these last week onl;y to find all this out to-day --- I rang TomTom support and got the standard answer "we are working on it" and not an issue since you have at least 18 months to go before its a problem. I directed them to the post by the communications and media authority giving the dates and saying we only have a few months to go before we are dead in the water. I have also to-day gone to the ACCC and a current affair to see what they can do. I Note that one can still purchase off tomtom the Go 620 with an inbuilt SIM card. So I wonder why there is no consumer warning of possible issues only a matter of months away. So lets see what responses I get

Cheers
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,012
    Superusers
    Only the GO xx00 models have built-in SIM. The xx0 models (like the 620) don't. Those ones use your mobile phone's data connection.
    HI Richard,

Thanks for the links! I've forwarded them to our folks to check if something has changed. Unfortunately, I cannot comment here much more about this.

@red99: I see that the Customer Service agent has provided you pretty much the same info I've posted here. I'm curious as to what makes you conclude the 2G network is already down? If you're having problems connecting to TomTom Services, there can be a number of other reasons for it. Please, see this FAQ [support FAQ – TomTom Traffic/LIVE services not working]. Please note, that factory resetting your device will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Cheers, Mikko
  • UrielUriel Posts: 598 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I believe that all the Go wi-fi models can receive live service info over wi-fi or USB.

One solution might be providing every user with something like an car 3G or 4G mi-fi hotspot or mount with upgraded sim / modem and USB connection. This would need sufficient data allowance for live services provision.

This issue isn't going to go away elsewhere. 2G services are gradually being switched off worldwide and continuing to sell devices with only 2G connections seems short-sighted. TT should move to 3G+ capable PNDs. Smarphone link connections are a faff and having the connection integrated into the PND is always going to be neater solution.
    Hi Richard,

I got a confirmation that there hasn't been any changes to this that we're aware of. We are in touch with our partners to be on top of any changes should there be any.

Cheers, Mikko
    Mikko - please be clear: There hasn't been any changes to what?

Are you saying that TomTom still believe that Voda AU 2G will be operational until March 31, 2018?
  • bazbrianbazbrian Posts: 33 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Richrd wrote:
    Mikko - please be clear: There hasn't been any changes to what?

Are you saying that TomTom still believe that Voda AU 2G will be operational until March 31, 2018?

I read it that way Richrd - TT believe Vodafone AU 2G will still be operational after September 2017.
  • highwalkerhighwalker Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I guess the modem used inside is both 3G and 2G capable modem, although I would think the plan that TT has engaged with Vodafone would be to use 2G services. So, theoretically all TT has to do is to renegotiate the plan over 3G with restricted data usage - for instance perhaps a throttled plan and it should survive the 2G switch off. Unless they are having problems over negotiating this with Vodafone, of course, I would assume Vodafone would have stated the intent to shutdown the 2G services in 2018 when the contract was being signed in the first place, which makes TT in a poor position to aggressively renegotiate the terms. In any case, it remains that TT sold a "lifetime" service being aware of its "lifetime" being restricted to early 2018, which makes it false advertising as well as misguidance in order to sell service which was short handed!