Original iOS app - End of life in September - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Original iOS app - End of life in September

Comments

• thewiccamanthewiccaman Posts: 30 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @MikkoK: I am equally frustrated at TomTom and their disastrous decision to retire the 'real' TomTom App. And like others here, I WILL NOT use Go in it's present form; it is useless.

Earlier, I was able to speak to Customer Support directly and received an email from them acknowledging that discussion. They have 'generously' extended my traffic subscription (because of the outage) by 2 weeks.

I responded to that email as follows and copy it in part below in the vain hope I get a proper response from senior/decision makers at TomTom. As it stands, EOL-ing the original TomTom App is a customer service/public relations disaster.

Regarding TomTom Go: I do urge you to speak to senior people at TomTom about the Go App as it is completely unusable in its current form and needs a radical overhaul to be anywhere near the quality of the 'real' TomTom iOS App.

Lastly, the news that you will be retiring the 'real TomTom UK App in September seems a disastrous business move on TomTom's part! The vague reference to 'things have changed' since it was released are utter nonsense. Surely you have developers who are capable of programming the App to take account of the new iOS features.

I drive upwards of 30K miles a year and make use of the traffic & camera features extensively. I had a lot of respect for TomTom but sadly no more.

I hope to get a response from you or even better, someone senior at TomTom in respect of these matters.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank-you,
  • Robert848Robert848 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Dear TomTom, dear MikkoK,

I am a very satisfied user of the original iOS TomTom-app (Europe).

I want to ask the TomTom-developing team if they could and would make it possible to integrate the navigation-design of the original iOS TomTom-app as a choosable option in the new iOS TomTom Go Mobile-app. The reason form my request, is the fact that I like the original design more than the new design. In the original design all the relevant driving information (such as driving speed, travel time, destination time, next action to take etc.) is clear and well ordered displayed in one horizontal beam at the bottom of the screen. This makes it very clear and easy to overview all this information and also leads to the fact that the rest of the screen is not affected by these notifications. In the design of the new TomTom Go Mobile-app all the several driving information-notifications are spread all over the screen: at the right, on top and at the bottom of the screen. I find this less clear and a bit annoying, to be honest.
  • SkirmishSkirmish Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I bought this app with the promise of map updates for life.
    Now tomtom is reneging on this, I'll happily take my money back.
  • Jack BurgJack Burg Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    The TomTom technical staff will not switch back to the old app. Have a look at TomTom's stock performance. They had a really good time in the past until they got a hard hit in January 2016. Something critical happened and they started promoting the new app.
    I assume they lost the key technical team and missed a fully documented software development process in the past (a typical error of smaller software companies with excellent growth and no time for second priority tasks). That forced them to start almost from scratch and explains why obvious functions (obvious to the original team) are implemented so painful slow.

It is also interesting to notice TomTom's other activities. They are concentrating heavy on B2B business based on map and traffic data. An app frontend looks not very important in that environment.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/tom2.as?ltr=1

The key players are interesting too. The CEO is since 2001 on his job and he studied economics. That is not the kind of guy that cares much in software development.
    http://corporate.tomtom.com/management.cfm

The supervisor board is pure business too. Good software is not within their scope. They need to deliver good figures quarter by quarter for the shareholders. They need to have "something" new and appealing after the incident in January 2016.
    http://corporate.tomtom.com/supervisory.cfm
  • glttceglttce Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If TomTom Go does not at least match the features provided in the current TomTom app, then it is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. Please stop kidding yourself that issues being raised are everyone else's fault/problem. We all accept that technology moves on, but it should only move on when it delivers an improvement for the end user, not the writers of the source code.
  • Jack BurgJack Burg Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    May be we should read this to understand what is going on:

http://fortune.com/2016/10/13/tomtom-shares-plunge-sales-warning/

"ABN Amro analysts, who have a "buy" rating on shares, said the warning has not changed their underlying view on the company.
    "We stress that (the personal navigation device business) is close to irrelevant for our case on TomTom," they wrote in a note. "Profits and the potential of TomTom are in the other divisions, which continue to show decent growth."
  • TurboshedTurboshed Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    So I tried tomtom go for the first time today.

I would rather go back to using a A-Z than use tomtom go, it really is that bad. Its almost like the developers are trying to push the loyal customers of the original tomtom app by forcing us across to tomtom go
  • Kel_EvoKel_Evo Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    This is the worst news. TomTom offered this app with "lifetime" updates, in Australia that is considered to be 25 years. I want a refund. And once again traffic isn't working in the latest update, undoubtably it has something to do with this lack of support. I had to revert back to v1.26

This app is the best navigation aid when driving. The screen is clear, well laid out and above all else it's EASY TO READ.

The GO app is pathetic by comparison. You can't read half of the information on the screen. You can't edit the layout of the screen. You can't change the map colours. You can't edit the menu structure. The list goes on and on as to why the TomTom GO app is not "fit for purpose" as an in car navigation aid and is more a hindrance than a help.

If this app is pulled or unless there's a drastic overhaul of the GO app I will not be purchasing another TomTom product again and will encourage everyone to avoid TomTom products.
  • MikeJamesMikeJames Posts: 388 [Revered Navigator]
    The "new" app is (still) useless - So I will NOT be using it. Free mapping/navigation services are superior.

While TomTom may believe they can't keep updating the App for future IOS releases, I cannot accept that they can stop releasing Maps, Traffic & Safety cameras.

I believe I bought "lifetime" map updates, and I expect TomTom to honour their side of the contract.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    MikeJames wrote:
    The "new" app is (still) useless - So I will NOT be using it. Free mapping/navigation services are superior.

While TomTom may believe they can't keep updating the App for future IOS releases, I cannot accept that they can stop releasing Maps, Traffic & Safety cameras.

I believe I bought "lifetime" map updates, and I expect TomTom to honour their side of the contract.
    There seems to be a misunderstanding about what we mean by "lifetime" in this context. As explained here: Lifetime is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates.

What I was trying to explain above regarding our need to move towards NavKit based products is not related to phone OSs but our own systems. As we develop TomTom Traffic, Maps and other services we need to also upgrade our internal systems such as the servers providing the Traffic information, and the old NavCore based products can't support these new developments. Maintaining legacy technology, unfortunately, is something we at some point have to stop. We know this is painful for many of our customers who's well-served and loved products come to the end of their journey. We're doing our very best to wind those customers over and convince them that our new products are worth their money. That's why we also offer all users of the old Navigation app for iPhone/iPad a free three year Unlimited Navigation subscription for the new GO Mobile app.

And of course we're all ears about your feedback regarding GO Mobile so that we can make it your preferred navigation app :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • FeekFeek Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I'm now saying exactly what everyone reading this is thinking.

TomTom's description of "lifetime" is insulting, patronising and nothing more than an excuse to get out of their responsibilities.

It means nothing. Absolutely nothing, it's a get-out clause which I doubt anyone has ever heard of before and I certainly never saw when I bought my TomTom app, many years ago.

Ask anyone what "lifetime updates" means and I guarantee that nobody will suggest it's the lifetime of the device, as defined by the manufacturer.

Pathetic.
  • SimerSimer Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    Mikko/Tomtom - you haven't exactly been "all ears" since you launched your wretched new app last year. It was awful on launch and it is still awful. Hardly any of the constant complaints seem to have been addressed.

Very very disappointing.

PS When is traffic going to be fixed - you've gone very quiet on that one?
  • Andrew eAndrew e Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I'm going to start using sygic. Can plan route on pc. Using what roads I WANT. Not what roads you think are best. Then easy update on phone. Costs £20 and cameras and traffic. All thrown in. Lifetime updates......oh wait....I've heard that somewhere before??
  • SkirmishSkirmish Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    That's not what Australian consumer law says. The "TomTom Australia" iOS application was sold in Australia, to Australians so for those sales Australian consumer law is applicable.

I'd advise everyone to check with their country's relevant consumer body, and would remind tomtom staff that misleading customers is an offence under Australian consumer law.
    MikkoK wrote:
    MikeJames wrote:

There seems to be a misunderstanding about what we mean by "lifetime" in this context. As explained here: Lifetime is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates.

What I was trying to explain above regarding our need to move towards NavKit based products is not related to phone OSs but our own systems. As we develop TomTom Traffic, Maps and other services we need to also upgrade our internal systems such as the servers providing the Traffic information, and the old NavCore based products can't support these new developments. Maintaining legacy technology, unfortunately, is something we at some point have to stop. We know this is painful for many of our customers who's well-served and loved products come to the end of their journey. We're doing our very best to wind those customers over and convince them that our new products are worth their money. That's why we also offer all users of the old Navigation app for iPhone/iPad a free three year Unlimited Navigation subscription for the new GO Mobile app.

And of course we're all ears about your feedback regarding GO Mobile so that we can make it your preferred navigation app :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • Jonty KnibbsJonty Knibbs Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is it going to be possible to continue to use the old app with traffic information, but just not get map updates or will the traffic part stop working? I assume the app will still work for navigation?
  • ToenailsToenails Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My thoughts for what good it will do.

Having be forced, as I use the traffic daily in my travels, in and around London, and cannot do my job efficiently without traffic warnings, into using the "NEW" IOS/Android APP as Tom Tom in their infinite wisdom have scuppered the traffic for IOS with the 1.27 update.
    I enabled the GO app on my Android work phone Release 1.15 with the UK map downloaded.
    Having mastered the basics of setting a route and even adding a waypoint, I was, generally ok, with it and thought ok I will enable my free 3 year transition offer. Only to find I had no offer available. As I needed the app urgently I went ahead and paid £14 for a year of unlimited access. And would sort out a credit further down the road.

After using it for the past few days it appears to be working ok, but had a few issues when entering address/companies/postcodes returning no addresses found and resorted to IOS 1.27 to actually route where I wanted to go. Then tried again and could route to the required address a couple of hours later. Not a lot of help when I have a customer with a system down and potentially losing 1000's as I cannot get there ASAP.

On two consecutive days I had a traffic warning with a 12 minute delay. Drove all the way home with no delays. This would be a normal expectation had it not been school shutdown week, but children are not at school so, as we all know, school run traffic does not exist.
    This makes me wonder if the traffic delays are historical or actual.

This does not bode well for ongoing trust with the traffic information integrity.

I have lots of niggles with this version, but was more than happy with my IOS version. At this time I am struggling to have confidence with Tom Tom and this Go version.
    Is it going to be possible to continue to use the old app with traffic information, but just not get map updates or will the traffic part stop working? I assume the app will still work for navigation?
    Welcome to the Community!

The app will continue to work normally even after there'll be no updates for it. You can also keep using TomTom Traffic until your subscriptions expires. After support ends in September you can no longer renew services.

@ Toenails: Unfortunately, there was a technical issue with v1.27 and it wasn't possible to connect to TomTom Traffic. Yesterday we released v1.27.1 to address this issue. Please, update your app to continue to use TomTom Traffic. After updating your app you may need to log out and in again to resume the service.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Jeroen100Jeroen100 Posts: 10 [Outstanding Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    The app will continue to work normally even after there'll be no updates for it. You can also keep using TomTom Traffic until your subscriptions expires. After support ends in September you can no longer renew services.
    Cheers, Mikko

Hi Mikko,
    Thanks for this. Are you absolutely sure this will be the case? I noticed I can renew my subscription multiple months ahead and if it is true what you're saying i'll just purchase 24 or 36 months renewal in August ( don't know if there is a maximum allowed for how may months you can renew?)
  • sk1d00sk1d00 Posts: 10 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I am requesting a refund from Apple directly. I emailed [email protected] and explained the shoddy market techniques of free updates for life lasting me only 29 Months (by September 2017) and the Sale of Goods act. Fingers crossed.
    How I wish somebody from TomTom management would try the old Iphone app for a week and the TomTom go App for a week.
    I'm certain they would see the light...
  • madskilz182madskilz182 Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have a question: if the same maps are being released for other tomtom devices, why can't tomtom continue to update the maps in the app and just discontinue traffic service after September? I read in early posts that traffic update technology was the reason for moving on to a new app. I'm perfectly fine with keeping my current beloved app even without traffic service. At least I'll be up to date with new roads etc. It seems since you're already making the maps for other nav 3 devices you could just keep updating the map. You wouldn't even have to keep updating the app, just the maps. Am I alone in this thinking?!
    I have the exact opposite thinking: I'd rather have an outdated map than no traffic information. The last 10 days without traffic info have made that absolutely clear for me
    Hi all,

I have some more information about the repercussions of the end of support in September. While my previous comment still holds in principle, in case of a change in this phone (iOS) or our services causing the compatibility to break with the app, some features or functionalities may no longer work. After September we won't be able to solve such issues any longer.

I'd therefore not recommend you to purchases service subscriptions much beyond September. Should you not be able to use your purchased service, we'll of course refund it for you.

Cheers, Mikko
    Before I saw Mikko's latest response i went ahead and purchased Traffic Info until april 2019.
    I guess we will see how long it will continue working.
  • madskilz182madskilz182 Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    After September will there still be hidden links in the App Store to redownload the last version if needed, or will have to do phone backups to make sure we keep the app if it is deleted from our phones?