Condensation Screen RIDER 400 - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Condensation Screen RIDER 400

Comments

• jjay51jjay51 Posts: 11 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have just sent in an email about mine too, had the issue last weekend, very disappointed, the sd card also isnt recognised anymore either, i only bought it in march this year.
    My old chinese peaklife nav survived for 3 years of touring in all weathers and never had an issue with water ingress
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 362 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    jjay51 wrote:
    I have just sent in an email about mine too, had the issue last weekend, very disappointed, the sd card also isnt recognised anymore either, i only bought it in march this year.
    My old chinese peaklife nav survived for 3 years of touring in all weathers and never had an issue with water ingress

Sorry to hear. I have not had any problems with the sd card reader. Are you sure that you have secured the rubber lid on the back of the gps?
    Yes its sealed up correctly, i can see it on the device, it says its formatted ready for use but when i plug the nav into the pc for route transfer it doesnt open the window for the card only the units internal memory.
    It may need a reset (again!) to get it to work again
    jjay51 wrote:
    Yes its sealed up correctly, i can see it on the device, it says its formatted ready for use but when i plug the nav into the pc for route transfer it doesnt open the window for the card only the units internal memory.

I imagine you are talking about using the sd card via MyDrive?

Have you tried to manually transfer a route to the sd card via the computers sd card port (if your computer have one) and the insert it into the gps again? Does it show up in the gps as a new route? If so, the problem is perhaps not in the gps but somewhere else. Lets try to look at the possibilities:

1) Are you using the original usb cable that came with the gps?
    2) Are your MyDrive updated to the latest version?
    3) Are your GPS registered correct at TomTom - i.e. Do you have an account for the gps?
    4) Have you loaded your route into MyDrive and then exported the route to your device?

Hope your problem is in the list above - especially 1) can be a problem that is un-recognised. (Is that a word)
    ThomasGN wrote:
    jjay51 wrote:

I imagine you are talking about using the sd card via MyDrive?

Have you tried to manually transfer a route to the sd card via the computers sd card port (if your computer have one) and the insert it into the gps again? Does it show up in the gps as a new route? If so, the problem is perhaps not in the gps but somewhere else. Lets try to look at the possibilities:

1) Are you using the original usb cable that came with the gps?
    2) Are your MyDrive updated to the latest version?
    3) Are your GPS registered correct at TomTom - i.e. Do you have an account for the gps?
    4) Have you loaded your route into MyDrive and then exported the route to your device?

Hope your problem is in the list above - especially 1) can be a problem that is un-recognised. (Is that a word)

Hi Thomas, yes to all of the above apart from the removing sd card then re-insertung with route dropped onto it via pc, ill try that next though i should add it worked as it should previously i.e. opened the sd menu when the nav is plugged, normally opens both storage drives when plugged in wether im using mydrive, Tyre or nothing at all.
    Im waiting for a reply from TomTom re the condensating though nothing yet.
    jjay51 wrote:

Hi Thomas, yes to all of the above apart from the removing sd card then re-insertung with route dropped onto it via pc, ill try that next though i should add it worked as it should previously i.e. opened the sd menu when the nav is plugged, normally opens both storage drives when plugged in wether im using mydrive, Tyre or nothing at all.

I got a mail today from TomTom. They will send me a new gps. :-)
    ThomasGN wrote:
    jjay51 wrote:

I got a mail today from TomTom. They will send me a new gps. :-)

Nice one :)
    I also got a reply from TomTom today to tell me to take it back to store and it will be replaced, very impressed with the support i received
    jjay51 wrote:
    I also got a reply from TomTom today to tell me to take it back to store and it will be replaced, very impressed with the support i received

Yes. TomTom's return service is not bad at all. I have only experienced super service. Wish that the software service was just as good. The hoarse voice in my headset is killing me.
  • BelgiumRider400BelgiumRider400 Posts: 35 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It seems that its a bigger problem then first thought by TT. My Rider is doing the same thing.
    I am still waiting on customer service to call ,e back regarding world maps. Its been 4 months now and still waiting, hoping this would not take that long.
  • reasonablereasonable Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Yeah definitely seems to be a global problem for the TTR 400
    My replacement unit fogged up today , talk to the dealer on Monday .

damn
    Keep us updated on what they say as mine did on my first outing since i received it
    The dealer rang to inform I was getting a new replacement unit . This took just over a week from when I dropped my 2nd replacement into them .
    I haven't even tried it out yet because run off my feet with the lead up to Xmas - definitely due for a bike day off Yeah !!
    I initially contacted TomTom support who gave me a reference number , so I took a copy of that email to the dealer . I think this speeded up the process .... hoping the replacement unit doesn't have the issues of the first 2 .
  • kispomkispom Posts: 23 [Master Explorer]
    Do you have problem with rain screen activation?
    Never had a problem but then I don't often ride in heavy rain .
    And the TT400 sits directly behind the Givi screen on my DL650 so is well protected .
    Condensation has been the trouble .
    One thing I do is keep my unit in a TomTom zipped up pouch in my topbox .
    Could this be the cause of condensation with the sudden exposure when taken out of the protective case ?
  • 312hooligan312hooligan Posts: 84 [Legendary Explorer]
    The box does state: "Designed in Europe. Made in China." ;-)

My Rider 400 luckily had been flawless in this regard with condensation, and the 40 worked fine in the varying chilly and sunny ride through the Alps. Hopefully my new 410 isn't problematic. It'd be a [female dog] to send it back to Europe for a replacement.
  • Miki86Miki86 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
  • yamfjryamfjr Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    My 410 has now developed condensation on only it's second ride out! yesterday it was sunny and 13c and about 80% of the screen was affected..
    sent email awaiting reply.. another fault they new the product had and still they continue to sell it!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,186 Moderator
    Miki86 wrote:

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I have sent a heads up to the customer service about this, so someone will be contacting you for further assistance.

Regards
    Vikram
  • I purchased a 410 two weeks ago, finally managed to make time to go out on the bike with it fitted - and the condensation appears.
    The reviews of the product I read before buying never had this to contend with. Wish I'd found this forum before I got it. I know Garmin aren't much better but this is dreadful from a brand new item
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi exodus 61,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of this issue with your new device! Please, get in touch with your retailer or our Customer Service to arrange a replacement for your device.

Cheers, Mikko
  • DanmanDanman Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, MikkoK, I have had the same condensation issue on my first trip out with my 410 yesterday, never thought anything about it as I assumed it would cure itself and it was due to first time outside!!! It appears I may be wrong!
    I purchased my device directly from my wholesaler, as the retailer of the device who do I contact with regard to this issue if it continues??
    Thanks
    Dan.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Dan,

Please, contact Customer Service. They can best help you get this sorted :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • RTwoRTwo Posts: 53 [Master Traveler]
    My 10 month old 400 has started misting up when the sun is on the screen :(
    What's the turn around time to repair/replace it?
    Going off on a tour next month and don't want to be without it