GO Mobile for iPhone lagging with GPS positioning — TomTom Community

GO Mobile for iPhone lagging with GPS positioning

FeekFeek Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
I mentioned in another thread about the lag and have been asked to start a new thread (despite that fact that scrolling through the support forum over the last few days, there are already multiple threads about this).

For me (as I mentioned here) the major problem with TomTom GO is the lag.

I checked yesterday and I can be regularly three or four seconds ahead of my position on the map. I've now tried GO on a number of different model iPhones and it's the same on all of them. This is not down to individual setup, this is down to the software. Other navigation programs don't suffer from this lag, it's only TomTom GO.

I'm fed up with the lack of response from TomTom about the lag issue. The representatives on this forum are only focussed on telling us how fantastic the new application is and banging on about new (largely useless) features.

The one thing which could persuade me to move from the old app to the new one is for the lag to be fixed. In the current state, TomTom GO is simply not fit for purpose.

I just want someone from TomTom to actually have the decency to admit that lag is a major issue within GO and that it's being addressed. I don't want to be forced from what I've repeatedly described as the best navigation app on the market (TomTom W. Europe and equivalents) to the biggest, steamiest pile of hotspur which is GO.

I'm incredibly frustrated with the way we're being treated.

Does anyone else agree with me?

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Feek,

Thanks for starting this topic!

We've got some similar feedback earlier and addressed it in the v1.4 release. Seems that many are still experiencing this so let's hope we get more feedback here so that I can report it to the product team. I've also alerted my colleagues in Customer Service to keep an eye on similar feedback so that we can get attention to this.

To cover some basics for properly understanding this issue, could you (and others posting here) also state the following which would help us investigate the issue:
    • iPhone model and iOS version
    • Do you experience this in specific situations, e.g. when approaching roundabouts or motorway exists?
    • Have you tried if the power saving settings [user manual] make a difference?

Thanks, Mikko
  • babyboxbabybox Posts: 51 [Master Explorer]
    I have the same problems. I'm using an iphone 6 with now IOS 10.3.1 (the problem is also with IOS 9/10) and Tomtom Go app 1.7

When approaching a crossing or a roundabout the lagging occurs.

Ik have tried the powersaving options, that didn't work.
  • swampsnake20swampsnake20 Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    iOS 9 & 10 on iPhone 6s, then all versions of iOS 10 on iPhone 7 plus. Also on iPad Mini 4. Lagging on approach to junctions and at roundabouts. Again tried powersave - no change - gave up!
    Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback!

Can you still describe the issue in a bit more detail, please? Is the "lagging" manifesting as late voice instructions or are the visual instructions (arrow on map) also late?

If the voice instructions are late, could you tell us which voice are you using? If you're using a computer voice (reads street names), could you try with a recorded voice, please?

Thanks, Mikko
  • swampsnake20swampsnake20 Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I don't use voice instruction - it is the onscreen instructions which a 2 or 3 seconds late. In real life you can be next to the turning you are supposed to take, but on screen it looks like you haven't arrived at that junction yet. I'm not speeding either, doing around 20-30 mph shows the same as 50-60 mph, always a couple of seconds lag between on -screen and real life
  • FeekFeek Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    • iPhone model and iOS version
    • Do you experience this in specific situations, e.g. when approaching roundabouts or motorway exists?
    • Have you tried if the power saving settings [user manual] make a difference?

Tested the last couple of days with an iPhone 7+, 7, 6S+ and 6. All running iOS 10.3.1.
    However, the lag has been there with every model phone I've tried GO and any version of iOS that's been current.

The lag is always there. Always. It's less noticeable on motorways but it's very very noticeable on slower roads. I'll give you an exact example. Close to me is a very small mini roundabout. It's so small that from a particular direction, you don't drive around it, you drive directly over it. As I go over it, the app slows down, my car is drawn physically turning left onto the roundabout, then sharp turning right and then left again as it draws me going round. The fact is that I didn't do that! By the end of the roundabout, the animation is at least five seconds behind where I am. I turn right shortly after that onto my estate and I can be thirty yards down that road before my car turns in on the map.

The map is showing where it thinks I am, not my actual position. It's binding me to the layout of the roundabout, even though I didn't drive around it.

Not only that, it just lags behind on every single turning. I turn at a junction, any junction, then look at the map and three or four seconds later, my car reaches the turning and goes around. The lag is there all the time.

Power settings make no difference.

Using the latest version of the GO app. It's been on my phone since I was prompted to download it some time ago (about a year?). It's always kept up to date automatically and whenever I've used it, the lag frustrates me so much that I just want to throw the sodding thing out of the window.

My iPhone is mounted on a Brodit mount in the centre of the car. It has a good clear view through the front window. The old version doesn't lag like this, google maps don't lag, Apple maps don't lag, Waze doesn't lag. Any other apps I've tried don't lag.

I don't use voice instructions at all.
  • babyboxbabybox Posts: 51 [Master Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback!

Can you still describe the issue in a bit more detail, please? Is the "lagging" manifesting as late voice instructions or are the visual instructions (arrow on map) also late?

If the voice instructions are late, could you tell us which voice are you using? If you're using a computer voice (reads street names), could you try with a recorded voice, please?

Thanks, Mikko
    The lagging is in the visuals, when approaching, roundabouts, crossings but also when approaching highway exits. I don't have sound enabled
  • Alster53Alster53 Posts: 24 [Master Explorer]
    The lag stopped for me after the last update. But it was just visual- the voice instructions were spot on. It never bothered me that much as i used voice instructions rather than looking at the sat nav on roundabouts.
    Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all your feedback!

I think the nature of this issue is becoming clear, at least to my understanding :D I'll report this to the product team to look into.

If you could provide a specific example of a crossing/roundabout/junction on which this can be reproduced, that'd help us looking into this.

Thanks, Mikko
  • eismarsheismarsh Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Same here, lag is terrible and NEEDS addressed, there was a GPS assist on standard TomTom I think ?
  • Pies82Pies82 Posts: 21 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi Mikko, the lag happens at junctions and roundabouts. It has been constant since the app was released - I have tried on an iPhone 6 and 6 plus. It's nothing to do with the power saving stuff. It happens when the app zooms in as you approach any junctions - might be a fault with the zoom function, or might be a fault with the GPS itself. I suspect it's the zoom as I think the app keeps up at full speed (e.g. As you pass a junction you aren't turning at). That said at roundabouts its hopeless - takes forever to get you round it and as others have said by the time it's got you off the roundabout you're 30 yards down the road. Glad this is finally being taken seriously! Cheers, Pies
    Sorry further details:
    iPhone 7plus
    IOS 10.3
    TT Go App v1.7
    Power save: none

Visuals lag on junction approach
    Visuals lag worse on roundbouts before approach, during and after
    Audio is acceptable
  • ThroySThroyS Posts: 50 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi Mikko,

Don't the engineers or beta testes drive and also don't the use this app for testing. I know your trying to help but any one that work for Tomtom just install the app on an iPhone in my case I'm using a iPhone 7+ start driving and you will experience the lag yourselves. I missed turnings around roundabouts on a 50mile journey because looking at the map at face value visually that was the turning on the map but when I actually passed it I realised i was too early.
    Feek,
    Yeah, same symptoms... same feelings...

Yes, the visual seams to struggle/lag with roundabouts and junctions, audio is acceptable.

Mikkok,
    How do we escalate this to the developers @TomTom ?

Is there a complaint email address to send this discussion link ?
    Does TomTom read these discussions ?
    And/or who knows what the status of improvements/releases on this/other issues are ?

Thanks

P.S. as Feek asks, is someone at TomTom not driving about testing Go, or are all TomTom people and their friends/family still using the original TomTom app ! lol as it appears so !
  • chrisnewboldchrisnewbold Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Same for me
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 333 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Now that TomTom have announced that the original iOS app will be unsupported after September 2017, I've started to try iOS GO Mobile again.

I'm NOT getting any noticeable lag. However it is useful to give my phone/GO specs and settings so:

iPhone 6s plus
    IOS 10.3.1
    TT Go App v1.7
    Map: Full Europe 3D (i.e. 6+ GB)
    Phone memory: 128GB (65.75 GB Free)

Only other thing I can think of is that so far I have only used iOS GO Mobile for short trips, i.e. less than 15 miles.

There are a lot of factors to consider, I think that they may include:
    1. Map size selection (if using Europe, do you get same problems with just a single country map)
    2. Map size provision (could TomTom provide non 3D maps that are thus smaller)
    3. Phone memory (are you using a 16GB or a 256GB model)
    4. Spare capacity (are you using maximum memory or do you have plenty of space left)
    5. Are your routes short or long

I'm sure that there are other factors but we all need to try and think of them and hopefully TomTom can come up with a solution for the lagging as soon as possible.
  • Ainsley001Ainsley001 Posts: 35 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    7+, 256gb, not full, 10.3.1 (previous phone and iOS version did exactly the same)

The lag appears to be constant although you only really notice it at junctions and roundabouts. As with several of the other posters here, the issue is that you will be round the junction and yards up the new road before the app shows you as being on the new Road. This is particularly annoying when you have several roads in quick succession, of course.

I don't use the sound instructions at all and the PowerSave mode doesn't make any difference either
  • rob.morabitorob.morabito Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    IMHO this problem was present also on the old IOS tomtom app, but previous developer team made a trick to solve this situation :cool:, in fact they put into setting the option "GPS ENHANCER" that you could switch on/off. (on by default)
    In that case the TT App plotted in advance your car symbol through a junction simulating de facto your route on the roundabout and/or junction. The evidence of it in case of your mistake on following TT instructions, where you observe the car symbol following the original route for one second or two before getting new position and calculating the new route:8
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback here!

I'd also recommend you to send your feedback to Customer Service to make sure we capture all the information for investigating this. They'll also be better able to look into your individual cases.

Thanks, Mikko
  • PradPrad Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    iPhone 7
    IOS 10.3.2
    TT Go App v1.8

I also do not use sound instruction but still have this 2 second lag that is really irritating especially when you have to take a junctions and roundabouts...

Thanks for looking into this issue
  • FeekFeek Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Prad wrote:
    Thanks for looking into this issue

They're not looking into it, the lack of response is deafening. They don't care about us.
  • Carbon BasedCarbon Based Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    +1 on the having the delay issue. Unlike many here, I primarily rely on audio and experience the 2-3 second delay on the voice commands as well as visuals.
    iPhone 7
    iOS 10.3.3
    TT Go v1.8
    Voice is Serena (computer voice).
    Read aloud early instructions, road numbers, road sign information and street names are all selected.

While I can try switching to Jane (recorded voice) which may reduce the processing load those announcements are pretty fundamental to the usefulness of the app.
    I'm NOT getting any noticeable lag ... Only other thing I can think of is that so far I have only used iOS GO Mobile for short trips, i.e. less than 15 miles.
    I have now used iOS GO Mobile as my only SatNav since the beginning of May 2017, i.e. for 3 months. I have driven in a foreign country and a lot of places that I'm unfamiliar with. iOS GO Mobile most definitely has a lag.

The lag is truly horrendous and dangerous. If you go over a roundabout (that the route GO has navigated) the display wobbles about as if the SatNav has lost its bearings.

GO has a major problem with double mini-roundabouts and doesn't get you in the correct lane for exit of the double mini-roundabout. Unfortunately you can't look at the display to see the exit of the last of the double mini-roundabout because the display is blocked by the information at the top of the screen - so you end up driving blind!

The lag is dangerous and has been reported so often that it should have been fixed by now - especially since the legacy app 1.28 has now been killed off!

iOS GO Mobile should be a driving aid, the lag makes it a dangerous hinderance!

Regards,
    Hi Privateer UK,

Thanks for the elaborate report!

Could you also confirm your iOS version as your previous report here is a few months ago?

Thanks, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Could you also confirm your iOS version as your previous report here is a few months ago?
    Sure, no problem. Details as follows:

iPhone 6s plus
    IOS 10.3.3
    TT Go App v1.8
    Map: Full Europe 3D (i.e. 6+ GB)
    Phone memory: 128GB (48.18 GB Free)

Regards,