Original iOS app - End of life in September - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Original iOS app - End of life in September

Comments

• GondohlaGondohla Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I have contacted apple and be told no chance of a refund as over 90 days. I have Western Europe and USA and Canada versions of this app. Thats around £70 down the pan. I have contacted tom tom support also. Unfortunately I paid for the apps with iTunes vouchers so no chance of going back to my credit card provider for a refund. Grrr, these apps were brilliant. Waze is good but uses expensive data when abroad.
  • MacshadeMacshade Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Tom Tom said when I bought my maps Europe and Brasil I would have maps update for life. Whel I am still alive, did TOM TOM died?
    I also tried the Go and forced myself to use it, its the worst GPS navigation application I know.
    TOM TOM with the GO application went the wrong way. Wrong user interface, seems a lousy beta from old version, full of errors and not user friendly.
    And with wrong politics demanding a fee every year instead of a price for a map.
    As I already was suspicious I was already testing Waze(free), google maps (free) and iOS own maps (also free) despite's they are not so god as old TOM they are years ahead of TOM Tom Go!

Goodbye TOM TOM, send my regards to Nokia.!!!!
  • NicolasBXLNicolasBXL Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Dear TOMTOM, having been a years-long user I was quite happy about your product on my iPhone. But I had to reinstall my device and now my beloved TOMTOM app is gone. Having paid for this app, i want a refund as you decided to discontinue the service. And i think your decision to stop supporting your app will have consequences. You can't assume customers will just go "oh, well ok" and accept your decision like sheep. This is brutal on your part. And you should be held accountable for that.
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Revered Navigator]
  • Suchy101Suchy101 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    well FCUK,

incompetent nitwits are at it again.

I had it with them. Vote with your wallet people. Stay away from TomTom products and advise ANYONE YOU CAN to do the same. Friends, family, colleagues.

Thank GOD googleMaps has offline downloads now. Works just as good, if not better with FREE traffic.

**** it TomTom, Hope you will bankrupt with you long running track record of caring jack sweet nothing about your paying customers.

hope you get what you deserve.

over and out.

PS. Paid for the app on 4 different devices in my household. TomTom are laughing now. Give it 2 more years they will come up with TomTom Go2 and discontinue the TomTom GO in the same fashion. Well done.
    vote with your money! Avoid tomtom products and tell your friends/family/collegues to do the same!

4 separate purchases/installations down the drain.

and they are deleting my posts ...
    vote with your wallets
  • bLackjackjbLackjackj Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    It's been 2 days since I was able to get traffic updates,..just continually get the circle of doom. This was the same issue as 2 months ago and was given credit back for. I don't know whats going on at TomTom.

If the app is going, then so am I...to Google Maps. Whilst not having traffic, I use Google Maps and this will be my go to app.

I tried the GO app once again, the last time being on release. It's hideous and the UI is awful. There's not even a choice of map colours! Why not at least make it look like the normal app??

I cannot for the life of me understand why this decision was made and by whom!?? I'm happy to subscribe to traffic and I don't want 3 free years for an app that is not responsive or made by a company that doesn't care what it's long time customers want.
  • Skellei9Skellei9 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am another loyal TomTom Customer who you will lose when you do this because the new App is just not good enough
  • zoonyxzoonyx Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    As for the 'end of life' - genuinely, not a random rant, but it'll be end of life for me and tomtom too. I'll be moving on. Go is a REALLY BAD APP. I don't understand why you still fail to listen to feedback, still don't realise that the old app is FAR. FAR. better.

Don't give me bull about "technology moving on" - no, I'm an app developer. I know what apple are doing, and what they're not. There is no reason for the older app to go end of life.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PAY-ONCE STRUCTURE - GIVE US THE OLD APP ON THE SUBSCRIPTION MODEL.

I would pay. As it is, I'm testing various manufacturers ready for september.
  • FeekFeek Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    zoonyx wrote:
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PAY-ONCE STRUCTURE - GIVE US THE OLD APP ON THE SUBSCRIPTION MODEL.

I don't know how much the Go subscription model is but I'd pay to keep the old version. I think many people are currently paying for the traffic anyway so effectively TomTom are already getting extra cash out of us. We paid to buy the old version (and it wasn't cheap) and are paying monthly for traffic.

I resent being forced away from what is the best navigation package on the market onto what is without doubt the worst.
    Feek wrote:
    zoonyx wrote:

I don't know how much the Go subscription model is but I'd pay to keep the old version. I think many people are currently paying for the traffic anyway so effectively TomTom are already getting extra cash out of us. We paid to buy the old version (and it wasn't cheap) and are paying monthly for traffic.

I resent being forced away from what is the best navigation package on the market onto what is without doubt the worst.

Since this forum doesn't have a "like" feature or similar, how can we get this message to the decision makers?

LET ME PAY FOR THE OLD VERSION YOU

If you do, I'll stop trying to get everyone to claim refunds in september.
  • Skellei9Skellei9 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It was by far the most expensive app that I have ever purchased.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback here!

We understand your disappointment with this well loved app coming to the end of its journey. For a while now we've been moving towards NavKit based navigation apps and devices to be able to keep developing the navigation experience for our customers. We understand that for some of our customers accustomed to the old NavCore based products there's a learning curve when moving to the new products. That's of course something we can help you with here on the forum :D

As mentioned here, the GO Mobile for iPhone is still somewhat lacking in features. We're working very hard to make it the preferred app of our customers and your feedback is of course much appreciated :D There's an (updated) FAQ about the features we've already delivered as well as some which we're working on here. We'll keep updating that as things progress.

The forum Staff, such as myself, is monitoring the discussions here and reporting to the rest of the business. So rest assured, your voices are heard :D That being said, please take care that you keep your comments within the Use Agreement you've agreed on when signing up for this Community.

Cheers, Mikko
  • swampsnake19swampsnake19 Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

We understand your disappointment with this well loved app coming to the end of its journey. For a while now we've been moving towards NavKit based navigation apps and devices to be able to keep developing the navigation experience for our customers. We understand that for some of our customers accustomed to the old NavCore based products there's a learning curve when moving to the new products. That's of course something we can help you with here on the forum :D

It's nothing to do with a learning curve and that is insulting to the intelligence of your users. It is more to do with the fact that the TomTom Go is not fit for purpose as it is too laggy, amongst many other issues.
    MikkoK wrote:
    As mentioned here, the GO Mobile for iPhone is still somewhat lacking in features.

The understatement of the week...
    MikkoK wrote:
    We're working very hard to make it the preferred app of our customers and your feedback is of course much appreciated :D

Please get them to work harder at getting traffic back on 1.27..
    MikkoK wrote:
    There's an (updated) FAQ about the features we've already delivered as well as some which we're working on here. We'll keep updating that as things progress.

Are these the "Rapid Updates" we have heard about???
    MikkoK wrote:
    The forum Staff, such as myself, is monitoring the discussions here and reporting to the rest of the business. So rest assured, your voices are heard :D That being said, please take care that you keep your comments within the Use Agreement you've agreed on when signing up for this Community.

Cheers, Mikko

I think everybody has been VERY restrained. I am surprised that nobody has started talking about alternative products yet!
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

As mentioned here, the GO Mobile for iPhone is still somewhat lacking in features. We're working very hard to make it the preferred app of our customers and your feedback is of course much appreciated :D There's an (updated) FAQ about the features we've already delivered as well as some which we're working on here. We'll keep updating that as things progress.

Cheers, Mikko

Firstly thanks for a slightly more detailed reply, and for being fairly easy going on the moderation front.

However, I'm still struggling to understand the navkit vs navcore argument.

I've seen the file structure of the old app. I used to use a jailbroken device, and on the earlier versions of the app you could even add POIs in exactly the same way as tomtom devices. The maps also appear to be identical, and again at one point you could be a bit naughty and upgrade the map yourself.

My point is this: Unless you are going end of life on a tonne of old tomtom sat nav devices as well, you will still be making compatible map updates that support the old phone app. So that just leaves Traffic - is this the problem? Are you struggling to support traffic updates on the old app?
    Hi zoonyx,

I can't - nor do I have the knowledge to - go into details about the code or other technical aspects. However, the UI focused on the interactive map view, 3D maps and MyDrive support are some of the features NavKit brings. There are also developments on the Traffic side requiring support from the end user product software.

Cheers, Mikko
  • FeekFeek Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Mikko, while you continue to talk about adding features and not addressing (or even acknowledging) the main issue of the lag, how can anyone take what you say seriously?
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi zoonyx,

I can't - nor do I have the knowledge to - go into details about the code or other technical aspects. However, the UI focused on the interactive map view, 3D maps and MyDrive support are some of the features NavKit brings. There are also developments on the Traffic side requiring support from the end user product software.

Cheers, Mikko

Thanks,

I guess we are going round in circle, but for clarity, I don't want or need MyDrive or any 3d map upgrades. I just want the latest maps, and the clearer traffic methods.

BTW, as much as I'm as mad as hell, I think we should be very careful of insulting MikkoK - he might not be saying what we want to hear, but for the first time in a while, we do have a tomtom rep actively responding to posts.
  • NgumoNgumo Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Dear TomTom. I have happily used the current TomTom Western Europe app on my iOS device since I purchased it (certainly also the most expensive app i have ever purchased for my phone) and I have recommended it to others. The replacement app has less than 2 stars on the App Store and countless poor reviews. It is still missing features compared to the old app. To think that a year later it still isn't as polished but you are pulling the rug on the old app? Personally it will be a VERY long time before I pay any money for a TomTom product and I certainly won't be recommending it to anyone. Quite the opposite - I will make sure everyone that asks (and some that don't) gets a full explanation of what you think are acceptable business practices.
  • TonymatthewsTonymatthews Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Almost lost for words on this topic. How dare they charge me £50 for a product which and then pull it. Outrageous. Underhand. TomTom should be ashamed. Never again
  • ddscott57ddscott57 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I suspect they have been bought out by Google or Apple... So much for all that money we spent.
  • Jack BurgJack Burg Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    TomTom is not worth any more comments or thoughts.
    bye bye
    Hi all,

Just in case some of you may have missed it, I'll re-post my earlier comment here below.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

The forum Staff, such as myself, is monitoring the discussions here and reporting to the rest of the business. So rest assured, your voices are heard :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • hkrebshkrebs Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Your comments are not worthy of being repeated.
    The situation is I purchased a very expensive app and I was promised lifelong updates. I acknowledge that lifelong is for the system and not myself. But my Iphone works brilliantly and so does your app and updates. Tomtom therefor has no legal rights to stop the updates out of a business strategy only. I have used TomTom since it was born, but the way the company behaves you will never get a loyal customer base again. And unless you change your mind and continue to supply updates for my purchase as promised, I shall certainly do what I can to tell everyone using the internet not to support TomTom anymore.