Does the gps receiver recharge when connected to the gps unit? — TomTom Community

Does the gps receiver recharge when connected to the gps unit?

mecx65mecx65 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
edited January 11 in RIDER
Hi,
Still couldn't find an answer to my question anywhere.
When the gps receiver is connected to the gps unit(tomtom rider 2013) through a usb-cable,
does it recharge then?
I know you can charge it by putting it in a electric point for at least 2 hrs. Doing so, how long will it last on the road?
Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,206 Superusers
    Not clear what you are asking. If you are wondering if a device charges when connected to the computer using the usb cable then the answer is yes it does but slower than if connected to a mains charger.
  • mecx65mecx65 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    The gps receiver NOT connected to a computer, but to the actual tomtom. Does it charge then...
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,206 Superusers
    Sorry, but the tomtom unit IS the gps receiver.
  • MonkehMonkeh Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It doesn't receive enough power to charge while the unit is in operation it only charges while turned off, it does receive enough power to stop it running down while in operation though.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    I'm afraid there is no simple answer.

It depends on the USB spec (USB 1.1, 1.2, 2.0, 3.0 etc) of the port you're using and your computer or charger.

You've to check the specs of the ports of your computer / charger to see the amperage they can provide.
  • mecx65mecx65 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Monkeh wrote:
    It doesn't receive enough power to charge while the unit is in operation it only charges while turned off, it does receive enough power to stop it running down while in operation though.

The answer I was looking for, thnx