The best way to plan an exiting route on the Rider itself? — TomTom Community

The best way to plan an exiting route on the Rider itself?

ronald2oo2ronald2oo2 Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 26 in RIDER
After +25.000km I am finally getting used to the Rider 400 (coming from 3 previous riders and the TT on the PDA) and are beginning to see some wisdom in the new TT menu philosophy.
The one thing that I have not yet figured out is a good method to plan a route on the rider itself using place names/addresses without a MyDrive or PC i.e. in the holiday configuration. On my holidays I plan every evening the route for next day. On the old riders you could just compile a list and start the route calculation when the list was complete. With trying some variations this took me in worst case maybe 1 hour per evening. Now (Rider 400) it sometimes takes me +2 hours to prepare the next day route. I am hoping that I missed some feature of the Rider that I cannot find in the manual.

On the Rider 400 I can manage to make an (exiting) route but it takes for ever because every time a place name is added, the complete exiting route is recalculated. My procedure is this:
1. I select a destination city about 300km in the direction I want to travel then I add the city center as destination: menu > search > city > center
2. TT starts the curvy-road calculations (can take long time)
3. Next to add an another city to pass on this route: menu > current route > (add place) search > enter city name + center >> confirm 'add'
4. T starts the new curvy-road calculations (which takes even longer then the original one)
... repeating 3 & 4 for every city, every time recalculating and every time taking longer and longer to recalculate

Does anyone now a better/faster method without all the separate recalculations???

Cheers, Ronald

Comments

• tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    Nust had a look and it seems as if the 400 works in reverse to th R2
    Search put in destination confirm ride that will produce a route. Tap search select next point (town required ) confirm add to route. The route will regenerate. To add another stop tap route and follow instructions
  • MonkehMonkeh Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I select fastest as the routing option until i have added all the stops i want and then change to winding route, otherwise, as you have found it takes hours for it to calculate the route.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback regarding this!

I've logged this to be reported to the product team. I can see how the current behaviour can be cumbersome when doing more advanced route planning.

Meanwhile, I think Monkeh has a good idea to get the best out of the current way. However, I'd recommend using the Shortest route as a default planning setting. The Fastest and Thrill route settings are much more complicated taking many things into consideration.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks Mikko
  • ronald2oo2ronald2oo2 Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    @Monkeh: thanks for suggesting the faster method within the current system.

@MikkoK: thanks for the report to the product team. Despite the helpful suggestion of Monkeh, I strongly hope that a new procedure can be made that allows for assembling a list before route calculation.
    My suggestion -to fit the new menu structures- would be to change the confirmation in my step 3 above from "Add" to 2 options: "(re)calculate route" (same function as the current "add" ) and "add another waypoint" (which would allow adding WP without route calculations) .

@Tugman: I am not 100% sure that I understood your reply, but I think you confirmed my point. Thanks
    It was only your comment that made me look at it as I always plan my days riding before I start out as after a day in the saddle all I want yo do is relax. I agree the R2 system was far easier to use in this respect and is an area for improvement on these new models. One cannot but get the impression that while trying to make this a wiz bang unit they ended up loosing sight of the basics at times
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 286 [Exalted Navigator]
    could build routes on a tablet, then send them to the 400 and save them to mydrive using myrouteapp gold
    I'd
    Do not have that app as my phone does not have enough storage
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 286 [Exalted Navigator]
    tugman wrote:
    I'd
    Do not have that app as my phone does not have enough storage

its a website, not an app www.myrouteapp.com
    Cheers