Stolen device UK

My TomTom Start 60 UK is set to actively transmit. I reported it stolen last week and gave police the serial number. Can TomTom help trace it?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,155 Superusers
    The device is a receiver and isn't sending a signal that allows for tracing. It's not like a smartphone in that respect.
  • JRPGJRPG Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi dhn, and thanks for a rapid response. I'm a retired radar software engineer, admittedly much more familiar with Garmin products than TomTom but my understanding is that it is a receiver which also can transmit data on route changes etc. to TomTom for the purpose of updating maps. Regards JRPG
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,155 Superusers
    Yes but there is no identification associated with the device when it does to my understanding.
  • JRPGJRPG Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Elite Vanguard & Apprentice Traveller. I know there are significant issues of privacy -plus potential conflict with tracker technology here but I believe my device was stolen from a locked car using a radio signal & the problem is getting worse. The serial number is equivalent to a database key and a former software engineer and I cannot believe it isn't transmitted even if it's later discarded. Existing number plate recognition technology means the authorities can track anyone but I would pay extra for a device that could lead police to a thief and the cost would, I believe be negligible. If the device looked like an ordinary TomTom, thieves would quickly lose interest. Regards JRPG
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 603 Superuser
    You're right JRPG, location information along with identifying information relating to your device and username is transmitted - however it's TomTom's policy to later remove this to allay privacy concerns.

From this page:
    Within 24 hours of you shutting down your device or app, TomTom automatically and irreversibly destroys the data that would allow you or your device to be identified from the location data we received.

For Traffic, SpeedCameras, Danger Zones and Weather we delete the information within 20 minutes after you have stopped using the service by shutting down your device or app. We do not know where you have been and cannot tell anyone else, even if we somehow were forced to.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,523 Superuser
    @JRPG

The main difference is that your START 60 is NOT a "live" device, i.e. it does not contain a SIM, if it did then the police can locate its last switched on location by using the SIM's IMEI number
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"