Navigation/Cycling computer — TomTom Community

Navigation/Cycling computer

Robert_A_RRobert_A_R Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 24 in Travel lounge
Hi,

Can we expect TomTom to work on more sports oriented products, more specifically a cycling computer with navigation capabilities? Seeing that TomTom is an expert at navigation software and is also joining in the market for sports products, this seems like a logical next step to compete with products such as the Garmin Edge, Mio Cyclo and Wahoo Elmnt.

Is there any information about this?

All the best,

Robert Ranke

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,767 Superusers
    I personally doubt we will see a bike computer from TomTom. This is already a very saturated market with a lot of major competition (particularly Garmin). It would take a huge investment in time and money to break into this market and I am not sure it would ever make them more than a niche player coming in so late in the game. TomTom seems to be focusing on the sports watch side of the market, slowly building up market share there. It does not make a lot of sense to switch to or add a new market when you are still trying to build up your core market. But that is just my opinion. TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Robert_A_RRobert_A_R Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Dear tfarabaugh,

Thank you for your reply. You're right in stating that it is a saturated market, however i disagree with the use of such a decision. Don't you think that this would create a more all-round (usable) sport experience with the brand TomTom. You could integrate the heartrate, cadenssensors and all via Bluetooth smart which is not available on most cycling computers. This is most relevant for potential customers in the multi-sports segment, because they can be pursuaded by other brands who offer such features. Currently for cycling, one may use the cadens/hc from the seperate sensor/watch, however for other functions from a cycling computer, one may choose for competitors.

We will however not hear about this then haha.

Regards,

Robert