Unable to import routes and tracks with ANY method — TomTom Community

Unable to import routes and tracks with ANY method

johnkapaeljohnkapael Posts: 9 [New Seeker]
edited January 25 in RIDER
I have read carefully the user manual found here: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/index.html
I have tried all methods: from usb (using TomTom's usb cable, not a hub, directly connected to computer), from memory card, with bluetooth.
The files I tried to import were gpx and itn, created with latest version of Tyre Pro.
My device runs latest firmware version and latest maps version available.

First of all, the ITN files never, ever show up on the device during the "Select routes to import" step, with any of the 3 methods, despite being stored on the internal storage of the device, I can see them on windows explorer.
Second, with just the .gpx files appearing, I tap "import". Process starts and after a couple of seconds stops with message : "import error" and a big X on the screen of the tomtom and message "none of your selected routes could be imported".

I' have tried it again and again and again, all 3 methods.

Also, when I try to log in to mydrive.tomtom.com nothing happens.

The device does connect to tomtom services.

I don't know what else to do.

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Attach a GPX and an ITN file here to check it...
  • johnkapaeljohnkapael Posts: 9 [New Seeker]
    Right, how do I do that?
    I see options only for image format attachments.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,969 Superusers
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

I have seen these links, and I have read them again and again, scratching my head since yesterday, to no success.
    I have tried those methods, it does not work.

In the meanwhile, I also tried 2 more ways:
    a) copying the route directly from Tyre to device (as described in many threads, yes I have read them). The Tyre responds "Connection with MyDrive not possible". I also tried the other way (without requiring sync with tomtom services), but no, Tyre cannot copy files.

b) using MyRoute web application. Created an .ITN file and an .GPX file. Saved them on computer, then copy paste on device using the described methods as per User Manual and links provided by YamFazMan. This time both itn and gpx files DO appear on the routes to be selected for import, BUT ony the itn file is imported. The gpx file fails all the time.

Just for your info:
    I consider my self an experienced user with satnav devices. I have been using other manufacturer's device and route planning software for many many years, as well as applications for navigation on smarthphones. This should not be so cumbersome.
    johnkapael wrote:
    Right, how do I do that?
    I see options only for image format attachments.
    You may share them using OneDrive, Google Drive etc...
    The experience with other GPS devices may not help you so much (it's a new platform not even related to the previous TomTom models), but you've read the user manual so you're ok.

Definitely it doesn't seem to be something wrong by your side, as a user. It seems that you have two different problems:
    1. The transfer of your tracks & routes
    2. MyDrive connection

For troubleshooting reasons only, I would suggest to try to transfer your files from another computer, and login to MyDrive & MyDrive Connect.

It can be something with your computer... A bad driver, networking related, antivirus / firewall software, anything... I'm sorry to say it, but welcome to twilight zone! :D

It may be necessary to add some exceptions to your protection s/w...

I usually transfer any files using BlueTooth, or the USB cable. Sometimes the BlueTooth transfer can be unstable and results in error. The microSD card option I don't use it at all, It's too masochistic for me... :D
    I really don't know what is wrong. I tried from a 2nd computer. Nothing works.

One more example (I keep trying so to make sure that it is not myself who is the weak link in this puzzle):
    So,
    a) I'm logged in the mydrive.tomtom.com on my computer.
    b) I upload a gpx file which has been created with Tyre.
    c) The file is extracted automatically by the MyDrive web application, and surely enough MyDrive now shows 1) a track and 2) a route in "My Routes" menu, both with the same name.
    d) The device is connected to the computer, using the authentic tomtom usb cable, directly to computer's usb port (not on a hub etc), and the device is logged in my account (via the menu tomtom services). It shows the little cloud on, and it reads "MyDrive activated" and "network status connected".

e) So supposedly the thing is now syncing with the MyDrive on the web, no?
    f) If I'm correct, and if I have understood properly, the track and route that were created on the My Routes section of the web application (point c, above) should be transfered (synced) to the device, no?
    g) And vice versa, if there is a route stored in the device's "My Routes", it should appear on the web application's My Routes, no?

Well, nothing happens. No new route (or track) appears in the device, and no new route appears on the MyDrive web application.
    How long does this take? The device is connected for half an hour and nothing happens, on either end of the process. The file that I uploaded is 29 kb.
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    I think that you may be a title confussed.
    Mydrive will only handle tracks and not routes.
    The way I do this is to build the route/track using the tyre to travel program using a computer and save.
    Now open a widow that shows the file. connect device to the computer. open second window and Under PC it should should the icon for the devise. Open device to get to the memory. Now drag and drop the file. It should show up but may want you to confirm the import once done confirm ok. Same applies for tracks. I hope this helps
    Dear Tugman,

I'm not confused. I know that MyDrive only handles gpx files, not ITN, which are imported to device as tracks (dotted arrows in the menus).

If you read my previous posts, I did what you are saying and it does not work.
    Gpx files do not get imported. Wether they are from MyDrive, or MyRout app, or Tyre. They do get copied on the internal storage of the device (I can see the with windows explorer), by they do not "import", they are not shown on "My Routes" menu of the device. The device always shows a white circle running for a couple of seconds, then "Import Error, none of your selected routes could be imported"
    Hi johnkapael
    This morning I uploaded a .GPX and .ITN file to my Rider 400

Rider 400 all routes deleted
    b3513bf8-ceb0-450b-bf1b-b6760f337202.jpg
    The two routes installed using the Rider 4xx "Easy route upload" method
    Via the PC filing system...

2acaafe6-cebb-47f6-8b29-942e489a806a.png
    e2e30419-8e3b-411a-85dd-c16a26234785.jpg
    14907634-5327-46ab-88b1-62ffa37979bc.jpg
    GPX Route, GPX Track and ITN file installed
    0110d0f9-14d2-4196-b79e-63e0856848f6.jpg
    After... I reloaded my favourite 50 routes (Assorted .GPX and .ITN) all loaded without fault

ATB YFM

This is ridiculous. Mydrive does not add my device. It shows up on explorer but mydrive will not read this. Tried resetting my device. Connected via USB cable. downloading a map onto Tom Tom should not be this bloody difficult.I have now wasted hours and on the third computer.
  • RaviyashRaviyash Posts: 2
    Cannot call anywhere. Support from Tomtom is non-existent.
    Hi Raviyash
    Which Tomtom Device do you have ???

Phone Tomtom Support... Australia 1300 135 604
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. AEST

ATB YFM

I know about the procedure that you showed, as I said we tried it.
    Anyway, TomTom is staying on the shelf for the time being, I have clients waiting to be handed gps devices with routes for their tours. I don't have time to waste trying to make a system work. Back to what we've using until now.
    Regards,
    John
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    You can not start to get the impression withTT. we got your money how sod off