GO Mobile - In-app purchase charged twice — TomTom Community

GO Mobile - In-app purchase charged twice

munchkiiinmunchkiiin Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hey TomTom community,

Just be super careful with the in-app purchases on the iPhone. I got charged twice even though the upgrade to Premium was not completed!!

Here's my experience from a couple of days ago:

- Downloaded the Go Mobile on my iPhone 6 (iOS9)
- Tried to upgrade to Premium for 3 years
- Got a 'Purchase failed' message in the app
- Then tried to upgrade to Premium for 1 year (to see if the alternative would work)
- Again got a 'Purchase failed' message in the app
- Checked my iTunes credit (I had just loaded it with a CHF 100.- gift card)... the credit was down to CHF 36.- !!!!! (100.- minus 44.- minus 20.-) :? :
- The Premium navigation was not active and there was no way I could restore any of the 2 purchases!
- I immediately called Apple who agreed very professionally to refund me for this time. They however warned me that if this happened again with this app, they would not make any refunds anymore.

I was willing to pay and support TomTom (who I was a big fan of) but now I'm just pi***d and will not try my luck again anytime soon!

Anyone having had the same issue?

Comments

• MikeJamesMikeJames Posts: 388 [Revered Navigator]
    I don't know about the new App (and don't want to), but some months ago a similar issue occured with traffic and speed camera subscriptions - bought and paid but didn't activate. CS did activate them manually, but the same issue came back next month. It has been Ok since....
    Perhaps you should speak to TomTom Customer services rather than Apple.
  • munchkiiinmunchkiiin Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thx for your answer MikeJames,

Agree with you: it should be up to TomTom to support in this case. I admit that, when it occurred, I chose to call Apple because their CS has a way better reputation than TomTom's.

I'm not wanting to bet my money and go through a 1-time-you-win-1-time-you-lose process again, so let's see if a TomTom moderator finds some interest in intervening here and showing some care about making a sale and restoring faith in their service. :8
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear of troubles with purchases! I'd recommend to get in touch with Customer Service, should something go wrong with your purchases, as they can best sort them out for you.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi Mikko and thanks for the late yet appreciated answer...

...and for changing my original post title 'Hands-off the in-app purchases!' to a more politically acceptable one, I can understand that. :P

I must admit I won't follow your advice and try to make the buy hoping that support can fix the purchase issues after the fact.

I'd rather wait for an OFFICIAL and PROACTIVE communication from TomTom that the issue has been solved (via app release notes or this community).

According to the many user feedbacks here, it seems anyway that the app still has lots of basic features missing, so I'm not in a hurry to swap my free alternatives for a less complete paying app.

Cheers
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi munchkiiin,

We do currently indeed get some reports of failing purchases on the GO Mobile app, but I haven't heard of them being charged twice as in your case. Anyhow, Customer Service can best sort these out and keep you updated should there not be an immediate solution available.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi Mikko,

I appreciate your follow-up, thanks. I will certainly do so if I decide to attempt the purchase once more and encounter issues again.

Would still find great to have a proactive info from TomTom here or on the update notes when you manage to fix this.

Cheers
  • Daniel EDaniel E Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Skam.

I purchased TomTom GO Mobile, 1 Year Unlimited Navigation. After 3 weeks came warning must be upgrade because there is no kilometer remained. I had 0 kilometer. When I upgraded it again so I be charged one more time. So I paid twice in about 2 weeks. Be careful no one will refund you. I complained to customer service but no one answer.

Don't buy from iTunes.
    First purchase was in 22,02,2017 and the next one in 15,03,2017
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    Daniel E wrote:
    First purchase was in 22,02,2017 and the next one in 15,03,2017
    And when does your subscription end?
  • Daniel EDaniel E Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The subscription start in 22.02.2017 and end in the 13.03.2017
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    In this case you should call Customer Support

Norge 22971714
    Mandag - Fredag: 10:00 til 17:00