Speed camera warnings in Europe — TomTom Community

Speed camera warnings in Europe

Norway1000Norway1000 Posts: 30 [Master Explorer]
edited January 28 in Speed Cameras
For the TT units to be legal to use, and not wipe out my bank account, they must be responsible for legal use of speed camera warnings.

Can't I get a guarantee that the software is legal in all countries ?

I'm going through Switzerland and Lichtenstein, and there they confiscate any units that are software compatible with speed camera warnings. In addition they can impound the vehicle.

Even if I remove these countries from the database, the unit is illegal to own because it can load theses databases.

Does that mean I have to send it by mail past these countries ???

Comments

• [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    Norway1000 wrote:
    Does that mean I have to send it by mail past these countries ???
    I would prefer a delivery service like UPS, DHL or whatever.
  • Norway1000Norway1000 Posts: 30 [Master Explorer]
    So you mean that TT has no responsibility for illegal distribution of "Speed Camera" locations and abilities of the sold units ???

I will be driving through Switzerland in under 3 hours....it would take longer than that just to find a DHL delivery point.... This is for a trip of over 6000 km....and around 800 per day...
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,566 Superuser
    @Norway1000

There are NO speed camera locations for Switzerland on your device and it is not capable of detecting speed cameras, so it is perfectly legal.
    Unless you have added any 3rd party speed camera POIs that is
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • Norway1000Norway1000 Posts: 30 [Master Explorer]
    There were.....for Switzerland. After posting the question I decided to try deleting this. After which, it did not pop up as an option. So yes, I guess problem solved. But this is not 100% according to Swiss law. Where owning a GPS that can report speed cameras in any country is illegal. In other words, just having the possibility of downloading warnings is illegal, even if not implemented. I'm hoping they accept this limit for my skirt through the country.

In Germany there have been a few instances of fines for having an App on a mobile phone. This has probably just been a bad day for the cop. Germany does not really have a law that prohibits camera warnings, but, like many countries, has a ban on Radar/Laser early warning kits.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,566 Superuser
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"