Missing top 1/4 inch of the screen display! — TomTom Community

Missing top 1/4 inch of the screen display!

erroserros Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited November 2018 in RIDER
Following the latest update for my Rider 410,I now have another issue in that approximately 1/4 inch of the screen display is now missing and has been replaced with a solid white bar! This stays on the display until the unit times out.I then restart the thing at which point the problem goes away only to reappear randomly during a ride.Apart from taking a large hammer to it,is there a fix I can use.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi erros,

Welcome to the Community!

Could you post a picture show this, please? That would help us investigating the issue.

Thanks, Mikko
  • BelgiumRider400BelgiumRider400 Posts: 35 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same thing happened to me on the way home from work.
    Will take a picture when it happens again.
    Hi all,

You could also try to reproduce this by running a route demo.

Thanks, Mikko
  • erroserros Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi MikkoK, I would indeed post a picture of the problem with the screen on my 410,if only I knew how!. I have however carried out a Reset,I was hoping to avoid this because as expected,I have now lost all my places and My Routes.On the up side,the missing section of the screen now seems to have resolved but,and there is always a but with this device,I cannot now,for some reason,download my saved routes either from Tyre or the Tomtom software.Frustration has now got the better of me with this device,I am now considering buying a BMW Nav V for my GS,and am prepared to put this experience down to an expensive mistake.
    Hi erros,

I'm glad to hear factory resetting solved the issue!

Should it return, please see here how to attach images to you post.

For next time you factory reset your device, You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

After factory resetting your device, your MyDrive login is deleted. Please, make sure you're logged in in the TomTom Services menu.

If you're satisfied that your initial question is answered, please mark this topic as solved and start a new one if you have further questions. This will help others with a similar question to find the answer easier.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi BelgiumRider400,

Where you able to reproduce this? Could you describe the situation in which it happened to you, please? Did you have MyDrive syncing enabled and did you receive a destination or a route when it happened?

I also noticed that you're still on the v16.2 software. Can you update to v16.6 and see if that helps?

Thanks, Mikko
  • black955tigerblack955tiger Posts: 92 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    erros wrote:
    I am now considering buying a BMW Nav V for my GS,

Why would you consider paying significantly more for a Garmin unit just because it has BMW written on it? Just get the equivalent Garmin model.
  • BelgiumRider400BelgiumRider400 Posts: 35 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Mikkok,

It happened today again, unfortunately I did not have my phone close and was in a hurry. I switched the rider off put it in my bag and drove home on memory. At home I turned it on again and it was fine. From my understanding it seems that it randomly happens when I put the rider to sleep for a day or two and switch it on again, it does not happen every time. The problem goes away when you switch it off (not sleep mode) and on again.
    I did not have this issue before the software update. Its could be something new or it could be from the device as I did not use the device that much after getting it and the software update.
    I get the feeling that tomtom should start combining their action camera and the rider in one deal. This would make it easier to document ALL the issues with the device. On the other hand, having one tomtom device in my house is enough.

I hope that what ThomasGN is saying is true. There are a number of issues with this device that tomtom knows about and many people are running out of time on their warranty. Once these issues are shorted I will start a massive social media drive to try and inform every Rider 4x owner on their rights and take this to EU level in forcing tomtom to replace their out of warranty shitty devices.

The disappointed continues.
    Hi BelgiumRider400,

Thanks for the update! I'll forward this to our technicians.

As mentioned earlier, you're still on the old software. Something seems to have gone wrong with updating the software. I'd first recommend you to reset your device by pressing and holding down the power button until you hear a drumming sound (ca 15 sec). Then check the software version in the About screen.

Should you still see v16.2 there, please set your device to recovery mode [support FAQ - Red X]. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Please, post back here to tell us how you're doing with this so that we can help you further if needed.

Cheers, Mikko