Transferring routes between devices, and deleting routes. — TomTom Community

Transferring routes between devices, and deleting routes.

BrianWattsBrianWatts Posts: 40 [Renowned Trailblazer]
If I plan a route on the MyDrive route planner (on my iMac) and "Add to My Routes", the route gets added to my GO 6100 device with no worries.

And then later if I delete the route on "My Routes" on the computer, it then deletes from the GO device, also with no problem.

But if I delete the route from the GO 6100 using My Routes > Edit List > (select) > Delete, it deletes OK from the device, but not from My Routes on the computer, even though the two devices are connected, either by cable or the cloud.
Is this to be expected, or should deleting a route from the GO device also delete that route from the MyDrive planner on my computer?

And another thing, if the route is still on MyDrive, but not on the GO device, and for some reason I want to add it back on to the GO device, I can't see a way that this can be done. Is there a way of adding the route back on to the device?

Thanks very much,
Brian Watts in Australia

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Brian,

Route syncing indeed currently works only one way; from MyDrive to device.

If you've saved a route as a track in MyDrive you can always re-sync it from the My Routes menu in MyDrive. If you've planned a route you can sync it using the Send to device option in the quick menu.

For more information and troubleshooting tips for MyDrive, please see this FAQ.

Please, post back here if you have further questions :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • BrianWattsBrianWatts Posts: 40 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hello Mikko, thanks for your reply.

You write:
    "If you've saved a route as a track in MyDrive you can always re-sync it from the My Routes menu in MyDrive"

I am not sure what you mean by the "My Routes menu".

When I am in "Plan Route" in MyDrive and have a route planned, and then click anywhere on that route, I get a quick menu 'send route to device' and also the "three dot" menu that includes 'add to my routes'. That is straightforward and poses no problems.

But if I am in "My Routes" in MyDrive and have a previously saved route selected (and that saved route has previously been on the GO device, but has since been deleted), no longer can I get a route menu. I can click on the start or finish and get 'send destination to device', but nowhere along the route is clickable (like it is in Plan Route) and therefore I can't see where to get the My Routes menu that you refer to.

Mikko, I appreciate the continued support you give this forum. Thanks.

Brian Watts
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,678
    Superusers
    BrianWatts wrote:
    If the route is still on MyDrive, but not on the GO device, and for some reason, I want to add it back on to the GO device, I can't see a way that this can be done. Is there a way of adding the route back on to the device?

Thanks very much,
    Brian Watts in Australia
    Hi
    The only way I have found to reinstate a route that has been deleted on the device but is still available on the MyDrive Route planner.....
    Run the MyDrive Route planner select to required route, the route will be highlighted, and show the three menu options
    Select the Save Option and save the route to your Desktop
    Then transfer the route to your device via a MicroSD Card

Note... if you are using a Micro SD Card for your Maps you will need another MicroSD Card for Route transfer
    You can't mix Maps and Routes on the same Memory Card

e9824da2-95fa-4dff-8af3-81f546e23195.pngTo transfer a route to your NAV4 device using a Micro SD Memory Card.....
    Format a MicroSD card on your PC to FAT32 format
    Copy your .GPX or .ITN route file to your Memory Card

My GO 5000 showing no routes installed.....

ca63324a-1f9d-4ae6-b84e-f924cfccf9f8.jpgInsert the SD Memory card into the Card Slot the device will recognise the Memory Card.....

ee41c992-7c40-4ad4-bd6f-e6a4c258fe3f.jpg
    fcbd0e45-8cba-4575-996a-6715a6c67744.jpg
    2f5dc2eb-de59-4977-a3ef-4de9a15b21f0.jpg
    6b9f6fba-2499-4670-97b5-854c143f3382.jpg
    14213df2-c56b-46ad-a0b6-0d0f7abe13eb.jpgRoutes Transferred.....

I've read posts where Mac users have queried FAT32 formatting on a Mac ???
    Link to the SD Association Mac FAT32 formatting utility
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

ATB YFM
    G'day YamFaz,

Thanks for your very thorough reply, but wow, that is a very involved process.
    It would almost be easier to go back to "Plan Route" and create the route again from scratch.

Unless it is a route like the very interesting one on your first screenshot - Ayers Rock to Phillip Island.
    That route must be every bit of 2500 km long, I bet the longest route saved on any TomTom in the world.

A bit off topic, but actually I prefer having multiple routes saved for a long trip as allows the trip to be planned and saved in stages.
    And this also gives greater flexibility to amend a part of the drive without affecting the whole trip.
    In my case I have about 80 routes planned and saved for our upcoming 35 day, 3500 km drive through Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England. I have found the planning process to be amazingly easy and I like be able to have the routes on MyDrive as well as on the device.
    To keep all those routes manageable and in chronological order I have named them like this: 26.1 - Mon 26 - Bibury to Castle Combe.

Thanks again YFM,

Brian
    Mikko and YamFaz,

I have found an easy way of reinstating a route to a device (that has previously been deleted), but is still available on My Routes on the MyDrive planner.
    1. Follow YFM's procedure by saving the route as a .gpx file and dragging it to the desktop.
    2. Rather than use an SD card like YFM suggested, simply go to the bottom of the "My Routes" list on MyDrive and click "IMPORT A GPX FILE".
    3. Click the "Select File" button, then select the .gpx file from the Desktop list, and then click "open".
    4. You will see "SYNC YOUR GPX FILE" so hit "OK".
    5. The next time you connect the device (if not already connected) the route will be back on the device and there will be an extra copy on MyDrive.

I am pleased to be able to have sorted this out.

Cheers, Brian
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,678
    Superusers
    Hi Brian

Yes, it works, a good tip... Before I made my other post, I had tried using your suggested method, but the .GPX file didn't transfer to my device???... but since then I have executed a factory reset on the device and the route does now sync across to my GO 5000

The SD Card method is the only way to transfer a .ITN Itinerary file to the Nav4/5 devices

ATB YFM
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Brian,

I'm glad to hear you got this sorted! :D

When you're satisfied that your question has been answered, please mark the topic as solved so that others with a similar question may find help easier.

And of course don't hesitate to post back here should you have any further questions :D

Cheers, Mikko