Reduced Product Quality

Ron436Ron436 Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
edited January 11 in RIDER
For years I owned a TT Rider 2 and decided to upgrade to a TT 40/400 much to my regret!
First one had to be returned as the Screen regularly rolled and went blank!
Replacement stated out Ok but now will not Boot Up - al all!
My Question is why has a once great product been so degraded in production quality as to be no longer good value for money!!??

Headed back to the Dealer for another exchange - lets hope third time lucky!!

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Ron,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with your new Rider 400! Please, post back here if you run into any further problems or have questions so that we can help you :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • Ron436Ron436 Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi Mikko
    Sorry to inform you that the replacemrnt unit also failed!!
    Same problem as the original!!
    Lost patience and have exchanged unit for a Garmin.
    Very disappointed to say the least!!
    3 defective units out of 3. Doesn't say much for TomTom quality and I shall not be recommending TomTom in future.
    Regards
    Ron436
  • Paul.R.F.Paul.R.F. Posts: 99 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hey Ron, your post worries me because my near new Rider 40 is going back due to freezing and restarting issues and was hoping that Rider problems weren't that common. I have always used Garmin in my car but decided to buy the Rider as it was cheaper bike GPS.
  • Ron436Ron436 Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi Paul
    Sounds exactly like my problem!!
    Turn it on and after a few minutes it goes blank then the start up screen (blue/gray map of the world) but no menu options and you can't do anything but turn it off and back on and if you are lucky you will get a sucessful restart that gives you menu options back again but you have to be quick because after a few moments it crashes again. I totally agree TT is or should I say WAS great but after 3 failed units all with the same problem I think that they have well and truly dropped the ball.
    To add to the problem Tom Tom appears totally indifferent to the issue and thete does not appear to have been any acknowledgement.
    The Retailer I purchasef it from has been terrific. The units were replaced without any issues and he gave me quite a discount on the Garmim but Tom Tom just seem to shrug it off and don't seem to value their customers.
    Think I will stick with Garmin.
    Cheers
    Ron
    Thanks Mate. Going to speak to Customer Service again Monday and see what will happen. As it is 4 mths old I am not sure if it will have to be sent in or if I can get it replaced where I purchased it.
    This is exactly what I just wrote in another thread very similar to this.
    Just spoke to customer service and seems like there is a big issue with the 40/400 that their techs are trying to sort out and was told that I would be informed when there was a solution. I replied back that I needed a functioning unit so I needed it fixed or replace straight away. I sent in details so am now waiting to find out what is going to happening. Will let you know when they get back to me.
    Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you're having with your Rider 400s!

Unfortunately, your issues sound like software issues some others have also reported. We're investigating these with high priority and trying to find a solution as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, replacing the device is not a solution for a software problem. We'll ask Customer Service to get back to you to make sure everything is done here and that you'll be notified as soon as we have a solution. I'll also post back here as soon as I have news about this.

We're very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you!

Cheers, Mikko
    So until you have sorted this mess out I'm don't have a GPS but a $600 paperweight. I will not be a return customer for Tom Tom.
    I just received an email from Customer care which contains the following;

Paul, we understand you are facing trouble in order to access Australia map on your device.
    Apologies for the trouble, this seems to be application issue on your device.
    In order to fix the error on your device we have assigned Oceania map on your device.
    Please connect your device to computer and install Oceania map on your Rider device.
    Please do let me know in case there is any issue on your device.
    It is a pleasure serving you. I will be delighted to assist you in case of any further queries.

I am going to install this new map now but won't really be able to test it for a day or two but hopefully I will have my GPS back.
    Hi all,

We have identified a problem with the Rider Australia map and working on a solution. Meanwhile, Customer Service can offer you another map as a workaround. They'll get back to you about this shortly :D

We're very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you!

Cheers, Mikko
    Mikko, is the OCEANIA map that I received just a fill in map until they sort out the Australia map or is going to be the replacement? I used it tonight and it got my GPS up and running again so I am grateful for that.
    Hi Paul,

This is indeed a workaround to enable you to keep using your device while we work on a proper fix.

I'm glad to hear that you can now use your device with the Oceania map! :D Please, confirm it also to Customer Service so that they can forward it to our technicians.

Thanks, Mikko
    No worries. I am going to give it a bit more of a test in the morning so I will contact them and let them know the results. It seemed fine today when I tested it but it did lag once when coming up to a turn (almost missed it). As I stated, I am thankful that it is working though.
    Well tried it today with one route and several small trips and it worked fine. I only have the OCEANIA map loaded. Will pass this on to Customer Service.