Restoring / Importing Favourites in Go 5000 — TomTom Community

Restoring / Importing Favourites in Go 5000

Dav_JenkinsDav_Jenkins Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi all - hoping someone can help!

My partner and I both ham TomTom Go 5000s (on separate accounts). I have hundreds of Favourites for all the locations I go to for work and it would now be quite useful to be able to share them with my partner so she can have them too. It would be a major pain to have to re-enter them all manually on her device (there are literally hundreds).

I know I was previously able to import favourites into my TomTom Go 5000 as half of my list was imported over from my previous TomTom Via Live 120, but the option seems to have vanished in later versions of MyDrive Connect (I thought I had previously right clicked the icon near the clock on my computer and selected something like "manage community content", but that's no longer an option). I can't see anyway to backup to or import from a file that contains Favourites in this software now.

I went to MyDrive (online version) and see that I can download MyDrive data in settings there, which produces a text file containing all my favourites, but I can't see any way to import MyDrive data from such a text file (surely there must be though?? What's the point in this feature if you can't use the backup???). MyDrive has the option to import POIs from POI files and Routes from GPX files but when it comes to Favourites it only offers you the opportunity to search for (and manually enter) new Favourites.

Surely there must be a way of doing this - or are my Favourites now suddenly limited to devices linked with my account??

Many thanks!

David

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi David,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, we don't have an easy, supported solution to this. What you can do is to log the device into the same MyDrive account. But as you need to factory reset to change the login, you'd need to keep using the same account to retain the My Places, which is not ideal.

I've logged this as an improvement request for the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Dav_JenkinsDav_Jenkins Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks Mikkok - Yes please! The return of the ability to import favourites from a backup file on the computer (ideally from either the current "MyDrive data" text file or a favourites backup file from a previous version of Tomtom - as used to be available in the earlier versions of My Drive Connect) on either MyDrive Connect or MyDrive (web) would be greatly appreciated.

I don't understand why this feature was removed from MyDrive connect. I also don't understand why Mydrive (web) offers the opportunity to download MyDrive data files if you can't then do anything with them! Further I can't understand why there is no option in Mydrive (web) to import favourites, when there is the option to import routes and POIs... it feels like this was a feature that was intended and someone didn't get round to implementing it!

YamFazMan - thank you I'll take a look at that. Maybe I'm being stupid but I can't see how I'd then put the file on the computer back onto a Go 5000....
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,791 Superusers
    Hi
    Create a POI Category/s with your Favorite places.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-and-start-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-mydrive-176/my-places-folders-892129?postid=1039131
    Also at the bottom of the post how to search a POI Category that you have loaded into your device using the MyDrive Route Planner… For the example, I’ve used The “National trust” POI Category

ATB YFM
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi David,

The new GO devices are based on a different software which doesn't support the Community content management feature of the older generation devices.

At this point the access to your data in MyDrive is there for privacy and confidentiality reasons. For more about this, please see tomtom.com/yourdata.

Cheers, Mikko