Speed limits in Edinburgh

Larryweir1Larryweir1 Posts: 38 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 30 in Archived Discussions
Hi, I say in Edinburgh, Scotland and the Council in its wisdom have made the city 20mph
http://edinburghcouncil.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=ca131eddb0084197b160edbbad2ca8c7
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-36903261

The majority of the new 20mph are now enforced, how long before TomTom release the updates with the new limits>

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,057 Superusers
    You can report changes in tomtom.com/mapshare/tools
  • Larryweir1Larryweir1 Posts: 38 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Far to many to report one at a time,
  • Larryweir1Larryweir1 Posts: 38 [Outstanding Explorer]
    With all due respect, Edinburgh is a large city, with 1000's of streets/roads, I do not have the time to go through the A to Z and list them all, basically the whole city is 20mph. Can't be that hard TomTom to work that out. TeleAtlas supply the maps, hold on a minute TomTom own TeleAtlas
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,473 Superuser
    @Larryweir1

I have started the ball rolling by using MSR and giving the official link above
    ID: 47b63382-9bc2-41f7-8145-0b3cf965c4b5
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button :thumb_up:
    If someone answered your question? Answer yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • arichardarichard Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    Surely for such a big official change TomTom should start their own ball rolling !
  • RobbiebotRobbiebot Posts: 197 TomTom Employee
    Hi Larryweir1,

Because the scope of these changes are quite large, I can't give an exact time frame for when all of these speed limits will be altered. However, I'm in the process of reaching out to the right departments to ensure that all relevant parties are well aware of this large change, and how many roads it affects.
    I'm certain Niall's submission will be of great help to get some momentum.

Cheers, Robbie
    @Robbiebot

A zone 1 was implemented 31 Jul 2016 :( I would have thought TT would have been on top of this by now.

The timetable is:-
    Implementation zones
    Zone 1, 31 Jul 2016
    Zone 2, 28 Feb 2017
    Zone 3, 28 Feb 2017
    Zone 4, 31 Jul 2017
    Zone 5, 31 Jul 2017
    Zone 6, 31 Jan 2017

So Zones 2&3 should be in map version 9.90 due mid May and Zones 4&5 should be in 9.95 due Mid August?
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button :thumb_up:
    If someone answered your question? Answer yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    Hi Niall,

In theory, this should indeed be the case yes. I am however still investigating the case and looking for an official angle from our Great Britain Maps division, which should also hopefully explain the delay with the zone 1 implementation.

I'll be sure to share my findings here.

Cheers, Robbie
  • thecoachdriverthecoachdriver Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Speed limit updating really isn't tomtoms's priority. If it were, the truck speed limits for England & Wales wouldn't be 2 years out of date. After 8 months of discussions including with the CEO, they remain incorrect. Go figure!
    @Robbiebot

So what is the status? Why is there a delay in implementing this?
    Full implementation must take place for zones 2 & 3 for May 2017.
    If not please explain why. Otherwise customers will loose confidence in TomTom to implement ANY change that is officially announced in advance.
    Hi Niall,

Because of the large scope of this issue, I'm assuring that all information I get is accurate and complete before I post anything.
    My apologies for the delay in my feedback. I'm still in the process of gathering a formal response as to the exact status of this situation, but will still proceed in posting the results here once I'm satisfied with the clarity it gives.

Kind Regards, Robbie
  • thecoachdriverthecoachdriver Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
    @Robbiedot

Please don't hold your breath getting a response, because after 8 months I'm still no further. Even after communication with your CEO I'm still non the wiser, so good luck.
    Hi all,

My apologies for the long delay in response. I still can't give exact details, but here is what I can say:

I've escalated this topic and the relevant departments are well aware of the changes and the implications of it all. Due to the scope of this project, it will most likely take a little longer to fully implement, and more likely than not, the changes will only reflect in the first corresponding map update after all phases have concluded.

Either way, this is in the hands of the correct people, and it will be resolved. My apologies for the inconvenience this delay may have caused.

Kind Regards, Robbie
  • bigbig Posts: 1,477 Superuser
    New York City changed its speed limit city-wide some time ago. The updated limit was very quickly reflected on the TomTom maps -- the very next release of the maps had it correct. No idea why sometimes it takes almost forever while other times it moves quickly. I'd guess the fact that it is taking place in stages in Edinburgh, rather than all at once, is a big part of it, as Robbie suggests -- but there are lots of inconsistencies beyond just that.
  • fuzedfuzed Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello!

Just wondering if there has been any update regarding 20 mph roads in Edinburgh. I have just recently purchased TomTom 620 and was looking forward to using it. However, I am finding it a bit confusing (read: unreliable) at least in Edinburgh as a lot of roads are still incorrectly marked as 30 mph.

I find it quite disappointing that a number of 'free' mobile SatNav apps have more up-to-date information than a premium TomTom product. I (and I am sure plenty of other enthusiastic TomTom customers) will greatly appreciate a speedy resolution.

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online72

AlterMann314
AlterMann314
Bembo
Bembo
BranMakMorn
BranMakMorn
cedric2123
cedric2123
Chris__G