How can I change battery on VIA 125 ? — TomTom Community

How can I change battery on VIA 125 ?

How do you open a VIA 125? I may need to change the battery later on and don't have a clue how it open.... Does anybody know?

Comments

• KexKex Posts: 2,874 Superusers
    As far as I know, the battery can NOT be changed in these units. You can NOT open them at all.

The battery should last for at least two years, and will probably work quite well for at least three years. After three years, you may start to notice reduced time when using battery only, but the unit will still function normally when connected using a charger.

If you are worried about this, try discharging your unit completely every six months (by programming a route, and allowing it to run in DEMO mode until the battery is fully discharged, for example), and then charging it completely, using a computer that will not shut of or enter standby/sleep mode (but leave the unit turned off until charged completely). This should help maximize your battery life, according to some users.
  • briggsviewbriggsview Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    How do I know if the battery on my VIA 125 is charging through the computer as there is no charging information on the unit?
  • George1108George1108 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My unit is about 8month old and the battery is completely dead. Any method known to open that contraption?
  • ZbigZbig Posts: 83 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Kex wrote:
    As far as I know, the battery can NOT be changed in these units. You can NOT open them at all.

The battery should last for at least two years, and will probably work quite well for at least three years. After three years, you may start to notice reduced time when using battery only, but the unit will still function normally when connected using a charger.

If you are worried about this, try discharging your unit completely every six months (by programming a route, and allowing it to run in DEMO mode until the battery is fully discharged, for example), and then charging it completely, using a computer that will not shut of or enter standby/sleep mode (but leave the unit turned off until charged completely). This should help maximize your battery life, according to some users.
    Sorry, but that doesn't really conform to the best practices of Li-Po battery maintenance and I wouldn't expect extended battery life by employing this schema. Lithium-based batteries don't benefit from so called "cycling" - the process you described. Cycling is a way to counter-measure for the so-called "memory effect" of the Nickel-based batteries. Li-Poly cells are completely differrent animals and they don't develop the memory effect. More than anything else, they are susceptible to aging. They're deteriorating by just sitting there. The rate of the aging effect is dependant mostly on the temperature and state of charge. The worst possible conditions for prolonged storage of Lithium cells is high temperature and high state of charge. If you don't use your battery for prolonged period of time and want it to last longer, you should store it about half-discharged in a cool place. Charging it fully every so often while not actively used could just make things worse by speeding-up the electrode oxidation.

There are several "old-thruths" regarding the battery maintenance floating around, like "you have to charge your battery fully before the first use" ("forming / formatting" the batttery)  or "dischage it fully before recharging". The fact is, these two were valid for the Nickel-based battery chemistry and they no longer apply to the now-ubiquitous Li-Ion / Li-Po batteries. In fact, you can and you should recharge your Li-Po-based device as soon as you find it convenient, not waiting for the full discharge (assuming you're actively using your device, not just storing it). The best way to quickly ruin the rechargeable Lithium cell is to deep discharge it. Luckily, all properly designed devices won't allow you to discharge your battery too deeply (below 3V per cell). Yes, I know these two advices seem to be mutually exclusive at first. The bottom line is you're not doing neither the battery nor yourself (unnecessary inconvenience) any good by waiting for the full discharge before plugging the charger in. The same applies to your smartphone, laptop, etc. To make things worse, I remember quite recently it was still common for the equipment's users' manuals to contain the usual ("charge your battery for few hours first", "deep-cycle to prolong the lifetime", blablabla) advices which were just plain wrong for the Li-Po based devices.

If you'd like to dig deeper, I recommend reading the relevant section of the [url=http://batteryuniversity.com/"; target="_blank]http://batteryuniversity.com/[/url] I'm in no way associated with this site other that just finding it very interesting and helping to understand the differrences between various battery types.

Regards

Zbig
  • heroyoufearheroyoufear Posts: 34 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Short and only version:

If your device in warranty, do not atempt to switch the baterry or to perform any other trick, send it to the repair center under warranty. If you abuse your device you will void the warranty.

If its out of warranty, it can still be sent to repair and a price estimate will be given, and also you might be be eligible for a discount on a new TomTom GPS.

iPAQ w/NAV.6 , GO 700, GO LIVE 1005 EUROPE
  • ahrkahrk Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    thats funny their are companys selling batteries for the via 125 seen video of one being opened its on the web some were i have to do my own will post reply when done andy
  • Alex1959Alex1959 Posts: 34 [Outstanding Explorer]
  • AndiAndiAndiAndi Posts: 11,281 Superusers
    better take this:  ;)

[url= target="_self][/url]

Greetings

Andreas
  • stuartgraystuartgray Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    nice